Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 10 healthiest ethnic cuisines

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    My mother used to joke about the OG commercial where Uncle Giorgio comes over from Italy. They guy in the ad says 'When Uncle Giorgio came to visit from Italy we took him to Olive Garden' and my mom would say 'And then he shot us'
    Olive Garden, where you can get pasta with authentic Italian Cheddar cheese & bacon sauce!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ ugh *barfing*

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I don't get the big deal about Olive Garden either. Both times I've been in my life were at the insistence of other people and each time I decided I never really wanted to go back. But every time we go near the Burbank location there are lines out the door and huge waits to get in. Every. Single. Time. People LOVE that place and I don't quite understand why.

I don't get it either. In the far-flung suburb where I used to live, there was an Olive Garden right across the parking lot from a Mom-and-Pop Italian restaurant. Guess which restaurant had more crowds? The food there is okay (yes, I've been dragged there before), but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there like other people do. It must be the breadsticks.

Why is there an Olive Garden in Times Square of all places?

Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl
    My mother used to joke about the OG commercial where Uncle Giorgio comes over from Italy. They guy in the ad says 'When Uncle Giorgio came to visit from Italy we took him to Olive Garden' and my mom would say 'And then he shot us'

I never understood how they're marketing team "sold" that commercial.

A lot of people don't realize that the Olive Garden was started as a result of test marketing and consulting by General Mills. Yes, the food company. Because when I think of Italian food, I immediately think of Betty Crocker and Pillsbury

I know we're talking about ethnic cuisine, but another megachain I don't get what the hype is all about - The Cheesecake Factory. Yes, the chains are huge and there is "something for everybody" on the menu, but the food is greasy as shit and not seasoned all that well. They're Cheesecakes are huge, but they're way too sugary and rich.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

We had Vietnamese pho yesterday for lunch. I had a veggie one and I was stuffed to the gills til late night munchie time came along.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    We had Vietnamese pho yesterday for lunch. I had a veggie one and I was stuffed to the gills til late night munchie time came along.
    I LOVE Vietnamese food. I could stand for a Banh Mi sandwich with shrimp right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    Why is there an Olive Garden in Times Square of all places?
    for the tourists. for the ones who are scared to try the food in new york and want something familiar.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    for the tourists. for the ones who are scared to try the food in new york and want something familiar.
    I learned long ago not to go on trips with some people for that very reason. One time I was in New Orleans, and someone wanted to go to TGI Fridays. In the middle of the French Quarter. They weren't the only ones that had that idea, because the place was PACKED.
    Last edited by hustle4alivin; October 8th, 2010 at 11:10 AM.

People that go to foreign counties and go out of their way to find the local McDonalds are people I can't be friends with.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

^ thats all i ate in Vancouver, Canada when i visited as a kid once

I won't deny you your happy meal.

well me and my sister were collecting those damn happy meal barbie figurines thats why seems like happy meal toys now-a-days are so lame! not to mention happy meals come in a bag now instead of a cool colorful box w/ handles!

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    People that go to foreign counties and go out of their way to find the local McDonalds are people I can't be friends with.

We were in Spain once (Majorca specifically) and walking past a Burger King we heard some English family 'I'll have the usual please pet' Oh god I was embarrassed for my country.

In fact vast swathes of Majorca are taken over with UK-centric fish and chip, burgers etc shops. They get a lot more business than the local Majorcan restaurants...:-( You can take the Brit out of Britain....

Admittedly, I'd rather a bag of chips than boiled donkey bollocks, but I have never understood why people go somewhere far away on holidays only to want to eat the same shit and hang out with other people from back home.

^^^
    seriously.
    i stayed at an all inclusive resort in tunisia once with my parents, who hated resorts but this was an incredible offer that included flights and stay at the resort for almost nothing and since we're a big family, the parents were always looking for good deals.
    anyway, we were barely at the resort. after half a day at the beach we were like, let's get out of here and explore so we got a car and drove around everywhere and saw the country and ate in markets and little restaurants and, you know, actually saw tunisia, not just the resort full of germans and austrians who had no interest in trying any of the local food and because the hotel provided them with schnitzel, sausages, potatoes, etc... they didn't have to.
    a few of them went on day trips once or twice, in a big bus full of other tourists, and took lunches that the hotel would pack for them so that they never had to eat anything from outside of the hotel and actually taste tunisian food. but some of them didn't even do that. and i just don't understand how you can go to tunisia and not at least see fucking carthage.

the only other all inclusive i stayed in was in corfu and there too, we rented a car, almost never ate at the hotel and saw pretty much every inch of the island. meanwhile, the hotel people barely ventured out of the resort, and only to go to the overpriced, tourist-trap restaurants in the town next to the hotel.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information