Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 93

Thread: 10 foods that vegans can't eat

  1. #76
    Gold Member Baby Face's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwest (USA)
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    I know I will get blasted for this. First I want to say I admire vegans, vegetarians and anyone who is diligent about their diet. My point is, we are a part of a self sustaining ecosystem as are animals, fish, plants, bugs, bees, etc. What are animals here on earth for? Not to look at cuz they are cute. They are here to be used (for lack of better word).

    As far as the argument that if we fed the grain to the people...First of all, the grain they feed to the animals isn't people food quality - would not be consumed by humans. Consumers are very picky. Only a small percentage of agriculture products go into the food system. The majority are produced for industry and to feed livestock. Also, the grains that they feed to the animals are not usually produced using irrigation. Corn, soybeans, wheat, etc are up to good old mother nature for hydration. I am not a farmer but, I work in the finance end of the agriculture industry so have a slightly higher than normal exposure to all things Ag.
    Silence may be golden but, duct tape is cheaper.

  2. #77
    Elite Member VenusInFauxFurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Back in the boxed wine.
    Posts
    21,279

    Default

    I don't eat anything that had a heartbeat. I don't eat animals. I don't really care about the big circle of life/food chain.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

  3. #78
    Elite Member faithanne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    On the Hellmouth
    Posts
    12,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    I don't eat anything that had a heartbeat. I don't eat animals. I don't really care about the big circle of life/food chain.
    I don't either. And animals have other uses besides food - sheep produce wool, goats and cows produce milk. The skins can be used once the animals have died a natural death (which probably sounds naive).

    The problem with the agricultural argument is that even though we wouldn't eat the grain they feed animals, the land that's being cleared to produce crops to feed those animals could be used to produce more sustainable crops for human consumption, or better still, not cleared at all.

  4. #79
    Super Moderator twitchy2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milliways
    Posts
    53,902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    I know I will get blasted for this. First I want to say I admire vegans, vegetarians and anyone who is diligent about their diet. My point is, we are a part of a self sustaining ecosystem as are animals, fish, plants, bugs, bees, etc. What are animals here on earth for? Not to look at cuz they are cute. They are here to be used (for lack of better word).
    First, this is not a blast, however, your argument is seriously flawed. Agriculture has NOTHING to do with any self sustaining ecosystem stuff. There is absolutely nothing self sustaining about it. The majority of grain grown is for animals because it is grown specifically for animal feed. If people's eating habits were to shift, fewer livestock would be bred and more grain would be grown for people. The stuff doesn't just grow, people plant it. The animals don't just exist. They are in the numbers that they are because they are bred in those numbers. If the markets shift, agriculture would too. It isn't natural, it's human activity that drives it.

    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

    -- Stephen Hawking

  5. #80
    Elite Member VenusInFauxFurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Back in the boxed wine.
    Posts
    21,279

    Default

    Ya, that and the smell of it is pretty grotty to me. Raw meat to me stinks, cooking it not much better.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

  6. #81
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    24,861

    Default

    A carefully cooked New York strip steak smells divine (to me).

  7. #82
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    21,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    A carefully cooked New York strip steak smells divine (to me).
    Testify!
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

  8. #83
    Elite Member sprynkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the salon
    Posts
    17,876

    Default

    Bacon is what got me. I went meatless for a couple years after having a really gross dream about meat. But bacon...damn you bacon!

    Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

  9. #84
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    21,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Bacon is what got me. I went meatless for a couple years after having a really gross dream about meat. But bacon...damn you bacon!
    God made Adam, Eve, and bacon.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

  10. #85
    Gold Member Baby Face's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwest (USA)
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    First, this is not a blast, however, your argument is seriously flawed. Agriculture has NOTHING to do with any self sustaining ecosystem stuff. There is absolutely nothing self sustaining about it. The majority of grain grown is for animals because it is grown specifically for animal feed. If people's eating habits were to shift, fewer livestock would be bred and more grain would be grown for people. The stuff doesn't just grow, people plant it. The animals don't just exist. They are in the numbers that they are because they are bred in those numbers. If the markets shift, agriculture would too. It isn't natural, it's human activity that drives it.
    You are correct - I was making 2 different (not necessarily related points). Agriculture is not part of the self-sustaining ecosystem. I would say however, that as long as the public demands meat, etc. it is better to produce meat for consumption than to kill off wild herds. You are absolutely correct that human activity drives it. I remember about 5 years ago when the Adkins craze was in - the grain farmers really were back peddaling and had some pretty miserable years. Protein and milk producers are always shifting and changing to meet public demands - organic, free range, no antibiotics, EPA guidelines, etc. One thing though, regardless of your views, It is very advantageous to live in a country that is able to produce most of its own food - what ever make up the public demands. To be at the mercy of another country for sustenance, is a very scary thing.
    Silence may be golden but, duct tape is cheaper.

  11. #86
    Elite Member sprynkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the salon
    Posts
    17,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    God made Adam, Eve, and bacon.
    And it was GOOD!
    Amen.

    Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

  12. #87
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    And it was GOOD!
    Amen.
    So endeth the reading of this Word.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  13. #88
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    21,083

    Default

    Yessss LAWD, bacon!
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

  14. #89
    Gold Member Baby Face's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pacific Northwest (USA)
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    God made Adam, Eve, and bacon.
    Amen - everything is better with a little bit of bacon in/on it. Sometimes if it weren't for bacon (toast and blood oranges too) my son would go days without eating anything
    Silence may be golden but, duct tape is cheaper.

  15. #90
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,532

    Default

    This blood type diet thing looks very stupid. It says type A should be vegetarian! Well, dont' hold your breath! I love meat. I live to eat meat. I want to eat any kind of meat it's legal to eat in the world (ok, not dogs or insects or really yucky stuff). I'm just curious. Kinda wish there was a way to eat human meat too without getting in trouble.

    Hmmm, maybe that's why I'm fat...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Foods that you stock up on
    By moomies in forum Food and Cuisine
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: June 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM
  2. Healing Foods
    By UndercoverGator in forum Food and Cuisine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 16th, 2006, 08:00 AM
  3. Breakfast foods vegans might want to avoid
    By UndercoverGator in forum Food and Cuisine
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: April 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •