Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Your Flip-Flops Are Grossing Me Out

Somebody posted a picture on another GR flip-flop thread of some black Havaianas (how is that pronounced, btw?) with cute little silver skulls on them and I bought them from Amazon. And I love them and wear them constantly. Kiss my white pancake ass.

I read that whole article with sincere intent to learn why flip-flops would gross someone out. I get it if you don't like the way they look, but gross you out? So the author talked about ff wearers acting like they're already home and taking their ff's off on the train but that would be gross no matter what kind of shoe was involved. Then the author talked about how they're not good for your feet. Ok, probably right, but that's not gross. The author talked about the slack, lazy attitude the ff's seem to imply but again, that's not gross.

Of course, the same might be said of any flat, thin-soled shoe—but as soon as you slap a heel strap and a buckle onto that sad, flapping sole, my objections disappear. Individual sandals and clogs are subject to scrutiny as to their wearability and visual appeal: Tevas and Crocs may be aesthetic abominations unto the Lord, but at least they perform most of the basic functions of shoes. They permit the wearer to break into a run or take a step backward when needed (who can predict when you’ll need to sprint to catch a bus or help a friend move his couch on short notice?). And with their thicker soles and foot-harnessing straps, they at least go some way toward protecting the feet from the most egregious aggressors in the outside environment: broken glass, loose nails at construction sites, wads of gum, pools of motor oil, piles of dog poop, puddles of human effluvia. (If this unappetizing imagery is skeeving out you flip-flop loyalists, welcome to the mental world of everyone who looks at your feet.)
    Um, Tevas and Crocs? That doesn't deserve a response. A heel strap and a buckle make sandals acceptable? Why is the author so concerned with the shoe wearer being able to run or step backward? I never even think about other people doing that. I'm also not thinking about how they might step on a nail at a construction site or encounter a pool of motor oil. A strap on the back of your sandal isn't going to help you if you step in dog poop. Your argument is invalid.

If some podiatrist chased me down in an airport trying to save me from my cute havaianas, I'd thank him to mind his own business after I punched him in the mouth.
    OrangeSlice and faithanne like this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Yes sandals are acceptable. Flip flops are disgusting.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

but whyyyyyyyy

flip flops are to footwear what sweatpants are to clothing. they serve a purpose, but they aren't appropriate for everywhere.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I guess I just don't check out people's feet like some do. If I were in a decent restaurant and noticed someone wearing them, I'd think they were under dressed and tacky but I wouldn't get all grossed out. I wouldn't get all judgey seeing someone walk down a sidewalk in them. Sweatpants either, for that matter, unless they were too tight and their ass was lumpy.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Flip flops aren't any better than people who wear their pjs and slippers to the grocery store. It's just sloppy and nasty.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I love my Rainbows and wear them all the time, but only in casual situations. I wouldn't wear them to a fancy occasion. But, I don't care when people wear flip flops in a casual setting.

What grosses me out is people who don't wear shoes at all. For example, people who are staying in a hotel and when they go from their room to the pool (walking through the lobby/hotel restaurant), they don't wear shoes or a shirt... only their swimsuit. Or people who let their kids come down to a hotel's continental breakfast barefoot and in PJs.
    Laurent likes this.

Keeping my flipflops. Y'all don't like it - tuff noogies.
    Laurent likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Kat now has a hot date for tonight?
    I'm still waiting for his wife to sign off on it, but yep.
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    flip flops are to footwear what sweatpants are to clothing. they serve a purpose, but they aren't appropriate for everywhere.
    Sweatpants (trakky daks or trackies) should only be worn in public by people going to and from anything sport or fitness related. We call trackies worn in public "sex offenders" because that's what men wearing them look like. Or maybe drug dealers. Chicks in trackies are either lazy slappers or they can't fit into jeans.

Thongs are not in the same league. There are plenty of places and occasions you wouldn't wear them, but even in my lavish office building I see all the corporate girls running through the lobby in their expensive suits and cute havaianas. And I don't think of them as sex offenders or gross slatterns.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I don't wear flips to anything NICE. I'm talking about just going to the store or Casual Friday at work! Or maybe out with the b/f for drinks at the local dive. Jesus--there are times and place for errything!
    Laurent likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Sweatpants (trakky daks or trackies) should only be worn in public by people going to and from anything sport or fitness related. We call trackies worn in public "sex offenders" because that's what men wearing them look like. Or maybe drug dealers. Chicks in trackies are either lazy slappers or they can't fit into jeans.

Thongs are not in the same league. There are plenty of places and occasions you wouldn't wear them, but even in my lavish office building I see all the corporate girls running through the lobby in their expensive suits and cute havaianas. And I don't think of them as sex offenders or gross slatterns.
    Is it weird that I sometimes put on my gym clothes and tennis shoes to go to the store when I'm being too lazy to get really dressed so people think I'm on the way home from working out? Working from home has sent my fashion sense from negligible to zilch.
    nancydrew likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Somebody posted a picture on another GR flip-flop thread of some black Havaianas (how is that pronounced, btw?) with cute little silver skulls on them and I bought them from Amazon. And I love them and wear them constantly. Kiss my white pancake ass.
    That was me. I bought them too! Sooo cute!
    Lobelia likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

gross slatterns.
    Should I aspire to be one of these?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information