Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who buys second hand/vintage?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Well, since I'm moving to London, any brits want to tell me about some good vintage stores there? I need some new haunts.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

The vintage stores here SUCK. They're all Ropa Usada's (used clothing stores) and the majority of the clothes that can be found there are Dallas Cowboy oversized teeshirts, purple denim tapered jeans, and poof dresses from the 80s. It's hilarious to see all the border-crossers walking around in this stuff downtown, though.

Silver Member

^^^
    "Border-crossers." Nice. Ignorant much? Amazing how you can make a post about vintage clothes into something offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky32 View Post
    ^^^
    "Border-crossers." Nice. Ignorant much? Amazing how you can make a post about vintage clothes into something offensive.
    I meant literally border crossers.. I live right on the border and they cross daily. I cross almost weekly myself. I wasnt being ignorant and if it came off that way, I didnt mean to sound that way... its just the way of life where I live, dont be so assuming.

There are probably lots of Oxfam stores in London.

Silver Member

You could of simply said "It's hilarious to see all the people walking around in this stuff downtown, though." Border crosser in your post was meant to be derogatory. There was no assumption on my part. To each his own, just pointing it out to you.

You could of simply said "It's hilarious to see all the people walking around in this stuff downtown, though." Border crosser in your post was meant to be derogatory. There was no assumption on my part. To each his own, just pointing it out to you.
    No, you took it out of context. I simply would have said 'people' if the used clothing stores I was referring to were not DOWNTOWN next to the BORDER. The majority, if not all, of these stores' sales come from the people crossing the border. If it were my own mother wearing these clothes I'd find it hilarious, but it's not- it's the people crossing the border day in and day out that buy and wear these clothes. Dont belabor me for finding it funny.. I was not making fun of the immigrants and I resent the implication as half of my own family are immigrants themselves.

I loved going to used stores. I must admit that I am cheap. I have bought loads of nice jeans which usually retail about 100.00 or so, in great condition. I have also bought Shirts, Jackets & accesories for dirt cheap. My favorite thing lately has to be a silver belt. It's awesome & looks like I am wearing a mirror around my waist. I usually look for things in very good condition & brand name . I have also bought loads of brand name clothing for my children (Tommy Hilfiger, Gap Kids, Levi's, etc). I have also bought household things & beauty items at the 2nd hand stores. I have managed to find salon quality hot irons for around 2.00! I drew the line on beauty things when I spotted a home epilator? machine & razors (Things that draw blood). I also buy underwear brand new. Unless I were to see a Oscar De La Renta bra or something similar in great conditon, I will buy it. I don't think boobs are too bad
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    The vintage stores here SUCK. They're all Ropa Usada's (used clothing stores) and the majority of the clothes that can be found there are Dallas Cowboy oversized teeshirts, purple denim tapered jeans, and poof dresses from the 80s. It's hilarious to see all the border-crossers walking around in this stuff downtown, though.
    i live about a half a mile from the border here in San Diego, and we have the same deal with charger shirts. my mother used to comment 'what is one mans trash is another mans treasure', but its still funny to see it. so i get what your saying
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^^^
    how is border crosser offensive?
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Unless we are native Americans, we're all immigrants here.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Unless we are native Americans, we're all immigrants here.
    you know it!
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    how is border crosser offensive?

Thank you! I didnt say 'illegals' or 'wetbacks' or anything of that nature, I said exactly what they are: people who cross the borders. Perhaps it was taken out of context, but I was stating a fact when I referred to them as that... and yes.. at least someone understands that living close to a border, the way of life is different so thanks

I made a major score at a thrift store the other day. I've been looking for a vintage grey, Persian lamb short swing coat for years and I found one by accident. I'd actually stopped looking because all the ones I'd seen in the past were very damaged or ridiculously overpriced. This one is a gorgeous shimmery grey colour in PERFECT condition inside and out, and I only paid $25. It looks like it's hardly been worn, and fits like it was made for me.

It's from Morgan's, a Canadian company that Hudson's Bay bought up in the early 70s, I think, and it's a quality coat. I have it hanging outside to air and I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to clean it?

Dry cleaning is out, and short of washing it in Woolite or something like that, I don't have any ideas.

I am very cheap when it comes to buying clothes for myself. I usually buy from the goodwill, yard sales and only things that are on sale. I bought a bunch of clothes at a yard sale with tags still on them, the mother told me they were bought by some relative but the sizes were wrong. I got a beautiful new purse and a HIM shirt at a yard sale this weekend. But my bf hates when I buy used clothes and he made (as in we're not leaving this store until you get something!!!!) me get some things. I got two pairs of shoes that were on sale. A pair of black slingbacks with a peep toe and star cut outs and a pair of ballerina flats that laces up so cute. Sometime I get things for my little brother and niece but mostly I buy them new shoes and get my mom nice work clothes because she has no sence of style.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information