Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who buys second hand/vintage?

I love thrift stores. I think I found a new addiction. Plus I'm on a budget, it's also a life saver. Recently I picked up two pencil skirts. I'm yet to wear them because I was waiting for a "special" event like a date but screw it.
    I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
    That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?---Jean Kerr

The stores around me are sort of a hit and miss. Sometimes i'll go in there and not find anything, but a few weeks ago i found two new abercrombie jackets for about 5 bucks each. I don't go very often though because the good shop is about 30 minutes away, and i refuse to go into the ones near me because they have the smelliest, nastiest clothes.

Bronze Member

I like the idea of them but the ones where I live are usually full of crap. There are some great items and real bargains but also a lot of shapeless T-shirts and tapered pants.

Silver Member

I got a London Fog black Bond-Girl Trench for 2.50 cents once.
    Houston has AMAZING resale shops. Especially near the River Oaks Area
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Oooh, I'm jealous. I'm going out tonight and I plan to wear one of my thrift store finds: a vintage Jackie O-style short jacket in metallic gold and cream with a winter white sweater and skirt. The skirt was also thrift shop, but I paid REAL money for the silk sweater.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh I don't know - I just don't like to wear someone else's shoes and I don't like lending them for the same reason so don't ask.

In my local thrift shop in the UK we used to get the most amazing couture stuff from a local toff's wife who would buy outfits, wear them once and then throw them out. The bags and other accesssories were great (although I think the staff picked out the best stuff before it even went on display). Unfortunately Lady M was extremely petite, a UK size 8 which is a US size 4? and her feet were equally tiny, like a child's, so only a very few lucky women got to acquire her cast off Chanel suits.
    LOL!!! Yup the same! it's fine if you're tiny, but if you're not, forget it!
    I now live where the "thrift" shops are not good and I seem to live in sweats anyway....

I remember my sister buying stuff when we were young that I wore as a goth...... *cough*

"Oooh, I'm jealous. I'm going out tonight...." Going out?? What's that then???

I sell a lot, but I've never bought anything. Dunno why...???

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

The key is giving yourself enough time to just dig through all the crap to find the gems. It's worth because, as so many have said already, you'll find great stuff that is completely unique. Also, when some old lady passes on, you'll see quality like you'd never find today.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Default `

I've scored a couple of good things lately on Craigslist. I got a pair of immaculate Chanel shoes -- beige and black with an ankle strap and block heel -- that looked like they'd never been worn. I also bought a pair of black Manolo Blahniks with velvet kitten heels. Lots of toe cleavage, and again, barely worn as in the soles aren't even scuffed. I didn't even know Blahniks came in anything other than stilettos! Great deal from the same seller.

Silver Member

I loooooooooooove thrift stores. I can't even imagine paying full price for something. Just found Italian shoes, brand new, $150 tag still on for only $4. It takes patience to sift through all the stuff. Hey Pacific Breeze aren't you a journalist?

^^Yes, I am. I don't work full time any more, but I freelance and I teach writing. And I love thrift stores, too!

Silver Member

^^^
    Dear God, it must be something in a journalists blood. I have read some of your other posts and we are very similiar. That is why I asked. Plus you also introduced yourself earlier. I also freelance. Hence all the available time to post here. I bet you also have a truck load of books?

Truck loads. I am currently finishing off my Masters thesis so I shouldn't be on here at all right now, but as usual, I am. Teaching is incredibly time consuming, too.

Yeah -- it's funny, journalists almost always recognize one another. It's like a sixth sense. Cops are the same way, I hear. lol

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have about 5 Eddie Bauer sweaters and some Pendleton shirts that I got from my favorite place near my mom's apartment... all are in perfect shape and they were about $2 each. Seriously I don't understand why anyone would have gotten rid of these items... they're wonderful.

When I was in my 20's I used to shop at some very cool places down by the Coliseum in Los Angeles. No way I'd go down there now by myself... but I used to buy these filmy 1930's dresses....so cool...sigh. They cost about $30 which would like about $100 now.

i don't buy as much vintage as i used to mostly because depending on where you live it's hard to find any real bargains. most places know what's valuable and price accordingly.
    i used to buy a LOT though. i had some luck with clothing - i have a couple of vintage diane von furstenberg wrap dresses, a YSL shirt dress from the 70s, some great leather jackets and coats.
    now i buy mostly vintage jewelry. i've been a fan of bakelite and lucite for years and i've made some pretty good finds. vintage lucite purses, bakelite pins (including an original lea stein), rings, etc.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information