Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who buys second hand/vintage?

I love thrift stores/Goodwill. I buy hubby shirts and pants to work in so that he doesn't ruin his good clothes. I have no problem wearing second hand clothes-like someone else said-a good washing is all they need. I have found some nice dishes and household items as well.

I had the same thought PB had, you try on new clothes and who knows what the person who tried it on before you was like...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

I think people get really worked up about that. Like, ok I'm not going to buy underwear at Goodwill but short of that, I don't think it's a big deal. I have faith that the washing machine will get the clothes nice and clean.

I absolutely love it. I can spend hours and usually spend over $100. I'm small and petite so I usually find tons of stuff, designer too.
    www.thefreebiedepot.com/
    http://literanista.blogspot.com/

I love 2nd-hand shops. I'd never buy swimmers or underwear in there though. I've picked up skirts and tops and dresses from browsing the racks though. I love wearing a great outfit that only costs about 10 bucks.

My aunty [rich and materialistic] would look down on my mother for shopping at 2nd hand stores and my mum once bought her daughter this cute little baby outfit in there and my aunty was like, 'I love this, I love this!' and she didn't even know where Mum got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    do you find that you have to shop in higher-end neighbourhoods to find the designer duds?
    I definately think so. In my town, the stores aren't as good, but when I venture further up the coast where the more dressier people are, the clothes are great.

I myself have only really purchased vintage shoes...vintage clothing doesnt normally come in sizes that fit me.

Second hand stuff (ala goodwill, value village and whatnot) I buy and mix in with my new stuff. So I will wear say a shirt I got second hand with some expensive jeans or whatever, so it doesnt really LOOK like I was trolling the goodwill for bargains.

I've found a few things here & there, & I would buy more but most of what I see around this town is CRAP.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Scored at the Sally Ann today -- found a faux suede sleeveless black dress with an empire waistline, very chic -- for $10, tags still on it. Fits perfectly. Also nabbed a Mr. Jax fine twill black and white wool skirt with a faux wraparound pleat for $5.49. Also a perfect fit.

I'm wearing the dress out tomorrow for a fancy dinner with hubby.

KD
    Elite Member

I love second hand stores and have found some great buys. Gorgeous dresses, I buy my DH's work pants there. He ruins his pants and I pay $3.99 for them at the Goodwill. I will admit, I wash it first, and shoes, no, unless they look hardly worn. Come to think of it, I have purchased barely worn shoes off EBay. If I find something cute for the kids, absolutely and I have rcvd absolutely gorgeous hand me downs from friends. I would say 40% of my daughters' wardrobes is hand me downs.

I also like to get *things* there. I always look at books, my favorite baby blanket for my son was a hand knitted supersoft blanket I got at Goodwill for $1.99. I have found that in my neck of the woods, St Vincent is yucky, smelly and disorgsanized, but the Goodwill is clean and very nice. Have also bought copper canisters coffee/flour/sugar there and antique bread boxes. My dad loves the goodwill!!! Oh and when I was in the market for a dresser, I could get a new one made of particle board for $300+ or buy an old wood one at a second hand store for <$100.00, Which is what I did, painted it, bought cute knobs and it is just perfect!

However, I would never buy a couch or a mattress from a second hand store. Just eewww, sorry.

I haven't been in a while, I need to go again!

I have very recently become a serious Thrift/Consignment store JUNKIE. I go at least once every 2 wks or so. Have poked in them for years and have found some great buys.
    Bought a brand new Talbots winter coat for $6.00--it still had the tag on it. It was over $200.00 retail. I literally almost cried...I still have it, but the lining is a bit ripped inside. I cannot give it up...
    I now go for my daughter. I have found some AWESOME kids clothes. Baby Gap, Baby Talbots, even Calvin Klein for kids!!! I just found her a Calvin Klein coat that is fabulous!!! It's two sizes to big for her right now, but hell, I grabbed it anyway. They grow so fast....and play so hard, that I will buy all her 'play clothes' at Thrift Stores, that way I don't give two shits what happens to them outside. I have also found some good maternity finds as well....
    Never purchased shoes though.

I LOVE the Goodwill near us. I have bought some gorgeous designer duds for very little money! I'm a shoe freak, but I'll only buy them there if they are new or have very little wear. I wash and sanitize everything. Last year, I wanted a pair of knee length boots and I found a pair of BRAND NEW Liz Claiborne boots that are so pretty for $10! I found two nice coats, purses, work clothes,
    a dress for a Christmas party, you know, little black dress that I got so many compliments on! People at work think I spend a fortune on my clothes, but I spend very little and look great! It's a lot of fun to browse through their goods. I collect pandas (what a surprise) and I've found some cute music boxes and figurines there, too! I'm addicted!

When my cousin had a baby boy, I loaded her up with designer baby clothes that looked brand new! I just washed them really well and used a good fabric softener.

It must be my weekend for bargains or something. I dropped by a thrift store I haven't been to in years -- just happened to be in the area -- and nabbed a pair of brand new -- soles aren't even scuffed -- Italian slingbacks with kitten heels. They are black with white piping and a piece of white and black fabric attached to the side in a very artful way -- very chic. I'm going to wear them tonight with the dress I got yesterday. Let's see, that's a new outfit, including shoes, for $16! Can't beat it.

Ok, you people, I'm going to give this another try. I'm going to check out some stores around here again. Your stories have inspired me.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

MY MOTHER!!! She just gave 16 trash bags full of used clothing she had bought to some Amish charity north of here. It must run in the family..she is always running into my one brother and his wife or my cousin and his wife. She does tend to shop the upscale locations..and has gotten very expensive things that have never even been worn..tags on and all. She always says to second hand shop in the best neighborhoods.

*the very nice wool jacket I have that I would wear to job interviews(if any of those mofo's would give me one) was about $175.00 but I got it for like maybe ten? Never really even used..just was returned by someone.*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I will have a quick look. Say if I have a 70's party to go to etc and need to find something unique. I don't see anything wrong with buying second hand clothes. Even new clothes in the shops have been tried on as several times I have seen stains around the arm areas where people's deordarant has come off.

Most of my favourite finds are from Oxfam

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information