Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What’s wrong with Vogue?

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I'm actually surprised that you had a subscription in the first place

I get it for the fashion stuff, but as I got older I started reading the articles too. The have some good health ones... I used to buy W for the fashion but its gone all "social commentary" now, which imo is done better in other publications. Monocle looks interesting, I've not heard of that before.
    They had a special online and I went for it.

I have a bit of a problem with shopping.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

I get it for the fashion stuff, but as I got older I started reading the articles too. The have some good health ones... I used to buy W for the fashion but its gone all "social commentary" now, which imo is done better in other publications. Monocle looks interesting, I've not heard of that before.
    monocle is pretty great. it was started by tyler brûlé. it's fucking expensive though, 12 euros an issue. great articles though, and it's got everything from international relations to design in it. and it's the kind of magazine you can actually keep.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I've had a browse around the website - it looks interesting.

That is expensive tho - that works out as around £12 an issue at the moment (popular hardback books are around £10...)- it must be quarterly then? A sub is £75 or so.... (plus postage depending where you are I guess....)
    Free Charmed.

^^^
    10 issues a year.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Ooh £7/issue - if you subscribe would it be cheaper to subscribe in pounds sterling then?
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    the one thing that bothers me about all fashion mags today- the mainstream ones anyway- is all the celebs. I want models, real models, and no more starlets. They're boring, and have no idea how to 'wear' clothes and 'own' a photo. If I want celebs I'll buy People.

I used to love Vogue's articles, years ago they were great, and on all different topics. Now it's just the same blah blah blah
    Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    Well Vogue sucks because 50% of the mag (or more) is just ads. Nothing useful in there to read. I like Allure and Glamour better. At least they have useful info/articles.
    I agree with all of these comments. I get sick of passing through 30 pages of ads just to find the Table of Contents. I've also given up on Vogue because I'm sick of reading about clothing, beauty products, vacations and spa treatments that I can't afford. And they don't ever feature anything wearable either - I have nowhere to wear a ballgown, and I can't walk in 6-inch platform heels.

Also their photoshoots are so stale - if I have to see another Caroline-Trentini-jumping photoshoot, I'll scream. Their fashion editorials aren't even visually interesting or appealing to look at.

However, I have recently fallen in love with Marie Claire. That magazine is flat-out awesome - every issue is packed with interesting articles about things I'd never heard of. I love their celebrity profiles, and the fashion and beauty articles are attainable, and informative.

Wow! From your reactions they need to sack Anne Wintour.

I have had a subscription to Vogue UK for.... too many yrs, since I was 18 (gulp thats 23 yrs!) and I still love it.
    I think the editor can make all the difference. We get really good articles that our other mags don't offer (health & Arts stuff as well as the usual fashion & beauty). I've got a sub to W as well, but I'm thinking of canceling it as its not really very good.
    I LOVE Vogue UK. The fashion spreads and the articles are amazing. I wish it wasn't so expensive here in the US.

Maybe it'll come down with the exchange rate? (there is also vogue.co.uk.... it might help?)
    They're starting to do the "more dash than cash" articles again, but regularly feature clothes from Topshop, and other high street chains - however, used "interestingly" LOL!
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information