Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Went to the mall yesterday, OMG the 70's and 80's threw up in there!

Elite Member

I was so excited when we got an H&M but it's trashed and cluttered like forever 21. I got one sweater there once. Generally there stuff looks cheap to me, but maybe I'll give them another shot.

I actually dress nicer than anyone else I know (except for my next door neighbor). I've had a lot of people tell me how stylish I am. I don't wear anything that really stands out in a runway-type way, but I demand clothes that fit right and make me look slimmer. Otherwise it stays at the store

Seriously, try thrift stores. You'd be shocked what great clothes you can get.

I think I have a similar sense of style--I am all about Ann Taylor and Lord & Taylor, etc. no don't want to look like I am trying too hard, but want to look cute. It's a difficult balance sometimes.

Ever tried New York & Company? They have some semi cute stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    I was so excited when we got an H&M but it's trashed and cluttered like forever 21. I got one sweater there once. Generally there stuff looks cheap to me, but maybe I'll give them another shot.

I actually dress nicer than anyone else I know (except for my next door neighbor). I've had a lot of people tell me how stylish I am. I don't wear anything that really stands out in a runway-type way, but I demand clothes that fit right and make me look slimmer. Otherwise it stays at the store
    that's because h&m is cheap. and yes, it's cluttered and full of people and yeah, a lot of their stuff looks cheap but if you know how to look you can also find really nice, really flattering pieces. it's really great for little accent pieces that you can use to complement nice basic pieces, or for stuff that you know will only be in fashion for one season so there's no point in paying a lot of money for it...
    i've also got stuff from h&m that i've had for years - they do great spring and fall jackets, etc.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My next door neighbor wears the cutest clothes but I'm afraid to ask her where she shops.
    Ask her. Most people take those kind of questions for the compliment they're intended as. If I see someone with a great haircut or color or pair of shoes or whatever, I stop them, compliment whatever it is, and ask where they got it. Nine times out of 10 they're tickled pink someone liked whatever it is that they've got going on and are happy to share.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Ask her. Most people take those kind of questions for the compliment they're intended as. If I see someone with a great haircut or color or pair of shoes or whatever, I stop them, compliment whatever it is, and ask where they got it. Nine times out of 10 they're tickled pink someone liked whatever it is that they've got going on and are happy to share.
    Well, she has a great body, so once I asked her what workouts she did and she lied to me and told me she didn't workout at all. Later I ran into her husband walking the dog and I asked him if she exercised and he said yeah, she does lots of yoga and stuff. So I figured she would probably lie to me about the stores too. Probably doesn't want me to look as good as she does. She came over one day when she got off work and she had this killer wrap dress on, an awesome print, and when I complimented her on it she just waved her hand like "this old thing". But even her casual clothes are super cute and I can't figure out where she gets them. I'm pretty familiar with most of the stores around. I don't boutique shop though (expensive). So I figured she would probably wave her hand and tell me she shops at Kohl's or something like that.

Ever tried New York & Company? They have some semi cute stuff.
    Too much polyester for me. I've actually been pretty content with Loft, Banana, and the occasional JCrew item for the most part, but after a while it all looks like something I already have (with the exception of the ugly stuff I saw the last 2 days).

Ah, well, some people guard their secrets like perfume and clothes jealously because they want to be unique. I get that, but if anyone ever compliments me and ask where I got something, I'm so flattered that I don't mind sharing at all. Maybe one day her tag will be out of her dress and you can sneak a peak at it.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    this.
    be a little creative. i've got stuff from department stores, i've got designer stuff that i've bought on sale or second-hand, i've got super cheap stuff from shops where 99% of what they sell is ugly but if you rummage around, you can sometimes find great stuff. i've got clothes from chain stores like j.crew and banana republic and zara and h&m. i've got stuff from small indie designers or boutiques. basically, get out of your comfort zone and try stuff on and don't be so damn reactionary about what's in fashion and that it's some kind of conspiracy by the fashion industry to make women look bad. every season there is shitty, ugly stuff that comes out but there's also great stuff and it's all a matter of finding the things that look good on you and fit in with your personal style.
    this.

you know what you like. it's out there. you just have to find it. i wear stuff from everywhere, but as I get older I don't buy in the stores geared toward the very young. There are some labels that seem to always be a good fit for me stylewise. I wear a lot of Theory, Elie Tahari, J Crew, Banana Republic. I'll update with some trend pieces, but I mostly stick with what I like and with what looks good on me no matter what the trends are that season.

sometimes when we go shopping we just don't have a good buying vibe that day. maybe you were having that type of thing.

and believe me, the only fashion industry conspiracy is to turn a profit, like in any other business.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    perhaps you're shopping in the wrong stores.
    Unfortunately a lot of shops may well be the wrong stores soon. I was shopping for a new bag on Monday and it seemed that Dad jumpers were everywhere.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Unfortunately a lot of shops may well be the wrong stores soon. I was shopping for a new bag on Monday and it seemed that Dad jumpers were everywhere.
    What's a Dad jumper?

sometimes when we go shopping we just don't have a good buying vibe that day. maybe you were having that type of thing.
    Yes, that is pretty common to go out and just have nothing at all interest me. Hopefully this is one of those times. I did get an email from Banana saying 40% off in stores this weekend, so maybe they're trying to clear out the crap to make way for some new stuff I will like.

dad sweater.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    dad sweater.
    Is that like a Cosby sweater? Or is it a boring crewneck or what?

I've lost 93 pounds and don't have a single thing for fall/winter. My issue has become I just don't know where to shop because I've spent the last 20 years shopping plus size. I also have no clue what is now flattering to my body. I loathe trying clothes on, more so now because when I look in the mirror I still see the huge me.

I shop online and I'm loving it more and more. Great for people who don't like trying shit on. Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Frontline, fun indie designers - you can get everything online.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Is that like a Cosby sweater? Or is it a boring crewneck or what?
    A dad jumper (or sweater) is one that you could only imagine someone middle aged and rather set in their ways wearing, someone who has decided that now they've reached a certain age they have to dress in a certain way.

This is an example of a Dad Jumper that is being sold in a UK chain right now.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Elite Member

Oh, yeah. OK, I saw some of that too. The JCrew employee had on a crewneck sweater and pearls. Oh, God I think preppy is coming back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information