Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Over-priced crap

I remember shelling out 50$ for Bongo jeans and 100$ (GASP) for my Doc Martins. I also remember buying the occasional 60$ pair of jeans from the limited. Jeans which lasted forever and, up until a year ago, I could still wear.

Other than that, the clothes I bought myself as a teen came from Judy's and Contempo (which is now Wet Seal, I think? I don't know...I haven't been in either one since '95)

Feared.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Oh God, I forgot Bongo and Doc's. Only the mod kids wore Doc's back then though. The ones that listened to Depeche Mode and Morrissey (sp?). I mean, I loved me some Personal Jesus (who didn't?), but I didn't wear Doc's.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Oh God, I forgot Bongo and Doc's. Only the mod kids wore Doc's back then though. The ones that listened to Depeche Mode and Morrissey (sp?). I mean, I loved me some Personal Jesus (who didn't?), but I didn't wear Doc's.
    Hahaha Viva la Depeche mode. Did I crush on guys with skinny ties and fedoras? Oh yes I did!
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I must be one of the few people on the planet who never had an urge to wear Doc Marten's.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I must be one of the few people on the planet who never had an urge to wear Doc Marten's.
    I think at my school they came standard issue to girls along with babydoll dresses, a lifetime supply of Sunflowers perfume, striped tights and the Soundtrack to Singles and Reality Bites
    Do it anyway

No, I'm with you on that. The era of docs is so 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    I think at my school they came standard issue to girls along with babydoll dresses, a lifetime supply of Sunflowers perfume, striped tights and the Soundtrack to Singles and Reality Bites
    I LOVED me some Sunflowers perfume. It suited me beautifully and smelled wonderful on me, and I don't even really wear perfume. I miss it bitterly. I can also remember having major identification and love for the Singles and Reality Bites soundtracks.

*cries for my lost, long-ago youth*

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    You have to have been a teenager or maybe in your 20's in the 90's no? I thought it was a generation X type of trend.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    You have to have been a teenager or maybe in your 20's in the 90's no? I thought it was a generation X type of trend.
    Yeah, I'm 35 now. Def was a big gen X thing. the whole grunge era. I can hear "black hole sun" playing. And lisa loeb "you say, you only hear what you want to". . . . my roommate played that 30 times in a row.

Does anyone think bebe is overpriced? all their tops are like 70 bucks or so. and so much of it is hoochie wear. I can't believe how tight their clothes are. And I'd never be motivated to buy a "bebe" bag for 150 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    LOL! For us they were passe in the late 80's. There were some "trendy" kids at college that wore them but the rest of us had moved on by then....

Then in the 90's I saw the woman I nannied for wearing them
    Free Charmed.

aw, I had Doc Marten's. Mine were cherry-red 9 holes on which I painted Ren and Stimpy. They looked pretty darn wicked, to my teenage mind. I teamed them with stripy tights and tie-dyed cheesecloth skirts and tops that I bought from shops that smelled of patchouli. I was so cool!
    This was in 1994 when I was 14.

eta- I actually own some DM brand boots now..

They are my most favourite boots ever, they cost about 110 ($220ish) but they have lasted fantastically well- I've had them for well over 3 years now and they still get daily wear and look almost new. I *heart* my DMs!

well they are extremely well made, and last forever. I will say that. I've never owned a pair myself. The soles weigh so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    aw, I had Doc Marten's. Mine were cherry-red 9 holes on which I painted Ren and Stimpy. They looked pretty darn wicked, to my teenage mind. I teamed them with stripy tights and tie-dyed cheesecloth skirts and tops that I bought from shops that smelled of patchouli. I was so cool!
    This was in 1994 when I was 14.

eta- I actually own some DM brand boots now..

They are my most favourite boots ever, they cost about 110 ($220ish) but they have lasted fantastically well- I've had them for well over 3 years now and they still get daily wear and look almost new. I *heart* my DMs!
    Now thems some fab boots Rondette!

See, I'm about 10 yrs older than you so I was at Art College in the mid-80s; even then there were "normal" kids that were wearing them and had been for a while.... (when you were wearing them so was the woman I nannied for & that's just wrong!)
    I didn't like them because I wanted colours... I wore red patent leather shoes (a bit like jazz shoes) coz I loved the colour.... mind everyone expected the Artsy crown to be goths so it was a rebellion in itself....

sh*t - I've just worked it out.... I'm not 10 years older.... I'm more... *goes off to shoot self in head....*
    Free Charmed.

hehe not as much as these bad boys!!

Now I have never owned any of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Now thems some fab boots Rondette!

See, I'm about 10 yrs older than you so I was at Art College in the mid-80s; even then there were "normal" kids that were wearing them and had been for a while.... (when you were wearing them so was the woman I nannied for & that's just wrong!)
    I didn't like them because I wanted colours... I wore red patent leather shoes (a bit like jazz shoes) coz I loved the colour.... mind everyone expected the Artsy crown to be goths so it was a rebellion in itself....

sh*t - I've just worked it out.... I'm not 10 years older.... I'm more... *goes off to shoot self in head....*

I think they went out of fashion and back in again before I got my hands on some. That Kurt Cobain has a lot to answer for
    Last edited by Tati; December 20th, 2007 at 09:07 AM.

's funny - now my dad wears them (the shoes), but he was big mates with one of the local police commandants... so he might have got his first pair cheap/free/gifted to him... Mind - this is "my dad the ex-ballet dancer", so he's never been "normal".....

I remember working in a bar when I was 18 from September to May & buying stuff from Bennetton in the sale (even then it was expensive) and the first time my mother washed it it shrunk to 1/100th of its size... I was devastated! I used to wear it with my legging (and red shoes) for work..... She did that to all my sweaters - even when I told her not to wash them, she still did & never replaced any of them....

And how come the "Good Life" sweaters that she knitted me didn't shrink but grew.... kind of uncontrollably.... I think the last time I saw that my cousin (who was 10 yrs younger) had nicked it off me... or maybe it just crawlled to her.....
    Free Charmed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information