Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Jeans (and how to avoid the "Mom" variety)

I was looking at my husband's Gap and ON jeans today and they are 100% cotton. Maybe that's an option?

I live in denim now and I wear it most days of the week (I can at my job). I also love wearing jeans with blazers for evenings out. I fit well in True Religion (I can just pick out my size and they'll fit although they are a bit long for me), Paige, some Lucky some Joe's (they stretch like crazy though and by the end of the day end up too big) and Hudson. I'm also starting to wear Current and I also like their denim jackets and tops. I kind of go crazy for jeans and pants because I have a very easy time fitting into them. I have a disproportionate chest and buying tops and jackets is a painful process. I am usually a 6-8 on the bottom and a 10-12 on the top, with the shoulders hanging low and the sleeves long. Buying jeans and pants is a pleasure in comparison.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

Haha Quazar - we need to shop for suits together as I'm the other way around - a pear with long arms & legs.
    i just bought a couple of new tops & I think that they are at least one size smaller than my bottoms!

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Haha Quazar - we need to shop for suits together as I'm the other way around - a pear with long arms & legs.
    i just bought a couple of new tops & I think that they are at least one size smaller than my bottoms!
    If you only weren't so far It's a rare time that I can buy a dress or suit that isn't separates.

I would love to be able to wear cute tops that aren't big and baggy. I also think I look much heavier than I am, unless you look at me from the back. But I am too chicken to go for the reduction surgery so it is what it is.
    Novice likes this.

Yeah, I understand. I went from a "wanna-B" cup to (at the moment) 34E (or is that 34DDD to you guys?). I'm also on a quest to lose quite a lot of weight & I've discovered that if I wear a top that is more fitted around the upper-ribcage/tummy (I have less these days than I used to!) it makes me look like I have boobs and a slimmer torso that just a lump that runs all together. Have you tried that? I tend to wear t-shirts of some description or a stretchy top (James Perse is a favourite as is Elle Tahari) and either a slightly open cardi (eg just the bottom 4" zipped to hide my waist/tum but enough to hint at a slimmer torso & boobage) or a jacket. I also bought a slim-fit zip-up fleece that looks like I've lost 10-15lbs!

Have you tried minimiser bras?
    Quazar likes this.
    Free Charmed.

I am wearing a minimizer bra as we speak There's only so much you can do when you get to a certain point LOL. I just went for a fitting over the summer and my size is....get ready for this.... 32 GG. Don't be scared, I really don't look like what that sounds though. I think they are doing vanity sizing with bras now and so what was once a 34 B would be a 32D or DD. I am small-boned and narrow from the back, plus I have scoliosis so I am in a lot of physical pain over it (not to mention the grooves in my shoulders). There are very few places that make my size because they figure as you go up in the cup - you would be a heavier person and so you'd need to be going up in the band measurement too. But because I'm so narrow that's not the case. I lost about 40 pounds about 10 years ago and NOTHING came off of my cup size - only my band size There's little fat there it's all breast tissue so the only way to fix it is through a reduction but I am terrified of the surgery.

I love Tahari and my challenge with his line is I am between a Med and a Large (which is mostly what he makes with tops/jackets) so I can't always fit properly unless he has number sizes or it's more of a knit. But his size 6 pants will always work! I wear lots of t-shirts with scoop or v necks, layered, and hoodies that I can zip part way or denim shirts or jackets over when cooler. I am doing this as we speak today here on Saturday, at work. I do exactly what you suggested with these. And with a blouse I'll wear a tank or shirt under and button part way up as well (I usually can't button it up all the way anyway) and it does accentuate my waist. I realize that I am limited to certain looks on top and some things I'll just never be able to wear, unless I have that reduction, which I know I should do for my health as well as my vanity.
    Novice likes this.

get the reduction!!!
    i did and it's the best thing i ever did! both my grandmothers have/had huge boobs and i take after them, though i was 'only' a DD. one of my mother's sisters also has them. she's 76 and her boobs are massive and everyone's been telling her to get a reduction for about 30 years now and she was always too scared and now her back is so bad doctors won't operate on it anymore and she can't walk more than half a block without being in pain. the back pain and shoulder grooves will only get worse with age, it really is a health thing first, fitting into smaller clothing is an added bonus but mostly you'll just feel so much better.
    Quazar likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Sput I know you're right about everything you're saying and I'm glad you did so well. Insurance would totally pay for it too because of all the medical issues I have as a result plus the scoliosis I already have being affected. I had a consult with a plastic surgeon scheduled that took 6 months to schedule and my mother died the week prior so I cancelled the appointment. I never made another one. Now at 50, I am terrified of the surgery and its complications. I am a hypochondriac of sorts and avoid most things medical unless an emergency. I know I need to do it so hearing successful stories helps. Thanks for that.
    sputnik likes this.

A friend of mine had a reduction and says it's the best thing she ever did. She had divots in her shoulders from bras and would have to wear two sports bras when exercising. She did really well. I've heard that lift surgeries are more complicated and the recovery more lengthy than reduction surgeries. Can you think of the long-term gain as opposed to the short term fear of surgery and recovery as you continue to ponder the decision? Good luck!
    Quazar likes this.

Oh Quazar! I want to give you a big hug!
    There are some other posters here that had the reduction & its worked well for them too (I'm not mentioning names, I'm sure they will tell you themselves), have you though of hypnotherapy to get over the terror first? The combined difficulties to make the appointment & then the grief from your mom passing certainly wouldn't help, either I'm sure.

Re the clothes thing - I know exactly what you mean, I spent my life up to my early 30s being a pear then put 5957547385lbs on & became huppty-duppty! I mean, how do you dress for that without red pants & suspenders??? Even now I'm learning to hide the tummy & try to not over emphasis the boobage - its so hard plus I have no idea about what is fashionable but don't want to end up looking like my sister ( no idea, no style, no personality unless its from the man that she's with, etc).... I'm sure that its not just me (or otherwise we wouldn't have so many Gok Wan tv-type shows/what not to wear, etc).
    Quazar likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    Buying jeans is a nightmare for me. Being 5'10, with a 34" inseam, I just want jeans that don't look like fucking highwater, Urkel jeans, and that don't cost over $100.
    It's hard for me too. I'm 4'11" -and 3/4" (gotta add that). Even petite sizes are too long. I have a 28" inseam. I actually bought a pair of capris, and worn them as wide leg pants.

Speaking of bras, are there any bras out there that are nice that are true to size, and don't cost over $40 bucks? I've seen some, but they are all granny style. I want cute bras like they make for B and C cups. I'm a 36DD. I've tried a 38D, it was too loose around my ribcage, and my boobs spilled out. 34DD is too tight around the ribcage, but the cups fit. I've been in bra hell for many years.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

1) bra extenders (go with the 34DD and add length)
    2) Walmart ( all my bras 36DD and now 34E come from there for 5-10) - crap - did a search & you're right!
    2) Figleaves (on line) dd - Designer and Luxury dd

3) Give me your address and I'll send you mine since I can't wear them any more?
    4) Ebay-UK? Its a very common size over here.
    5) TJ Maxx (and presumably other discount stores?) TJMaxx | Search results for: '36DD'
    Free Charmed.

PBS I would strongly recommend going for a current bra fitting. You may be very surprised at the results! A small lingerie store is best. I've gone to department stores and I don't get the best service there because they are waiting on so many other people at a time. Plus I have found that the smaller stores have more in the "fringe" sizes. I went to a place in Montclair NJ over the summer and not only did I get great bras, bit they have bathing suits in cup sizes so for the first time in TEN YEARS, I was able to fit into a bathing suit. Bras in non-mainstream sizes are usually more expensive, but once you are fitted and know your size and find some brands that fit, you can often find them online for less. At this place I was even able to get cute bra including one in purple and a black strapless (also haven't worn one in many, many years).

Other good resources are Linda the Bra Lady and Her Room websites. They are always running sales and coupons.

Novice I will gladly accept your cyber hug!!! I should really make the appointment for the consult since it took me so long to get the appointment last time. It's just a consult, it won't hurt.
    Novice likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information