Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Jeans (and how to avoid the "Mom" variety)

I wear jeans a lot. I frequently wear them to work .

I don't like stretch in my jeans either. I have a few pairs with stretch, but I seek out 100% cotton. You have to look, it's a pain in the ass.

But the writer is wrong about all Gap jeans. First off you can see she's wearing the wrong size in most of the gap pics. And maybe they're just not cut right for her body, that doesn't make them mom jeans. You just have to find a brand that works for your body.

And she doesn't know what she's talking about regarding the sexy boyfriend. I've been rocking the sexy boyfriend cut all summer. Mine don't have pleats, and they're fucking great.

sputnik and Quazar like this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Seven (7 For All Mankind) used to make a 100% cotton jean. I see there are a few up on ebay. I have a pair and they're great. Mine are super old and don't fit
    I LOVE Seven jeans!! I have two pair and wear them all the time!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I don't like stretch in my jeans either. I have a few pairs with stretch, but I seek out 100% cotton. You have to look, it's a pain in the ass.
    WCG, do you have any insight on why most places don't even offer a 100% cotton option any more? Is it cheaper to produce with stretch in the denim (I consider it an inferior material, and therefore, probably cheaper)? Or is it that there just isn't much of a market for the pure cotton?
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

It's primarily just the market. People like stretch, they think it's comfortable. It also helps with vanity sizing. Stretch allows people to squeeze into a smaller size. Which is why it's easier to find all cotton in mens jeans. Men don't care as much about getting into a size 2.

When you're looking for 100% cotton denim also try looking for the words 'raw' or 'selvage'.

Lately, I've even seen some jeans that are - - poly/cotton and lycra!!!
    Laurent likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post

I couldn't get the whole blog to copy and paste (help!) but it's an interesting look at Gap and Old Navy jeans compared to some others. I detest bling and huge stitching on women's asses but I wound up trying on the ReRock jeans from Express today. Damn it they didn't make me look 10 lbs thinner.
    Bella, did you find them true to size? The online reviews are all over the place in terms of whether they run big or small. Guess I should just get out to a store and try them on, but my lazy ass loves buying online.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

It's primarily just the market. People like stretch, they think it's comfortable. It also helps with vanity sizing. Stretch allows people to squeeze into a smaller size. Which is why it's easier to find all cotton in mens jeans. Men don't care as much about getting into a size 2.
    Ah, the vanity sizing thing makes sense. If they would bring back all cotton denim, they could re-size them in negative numbers and I wouldn't care as long as they made them.

When you're looking for 100% cotton denim also try looking for the words 'raw' or 'selvage'.
    Will do. Thanks.

Fucking gag. If there's anything I hate as much as stretch, it's polyester and poly blends.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Bella, did you find them true to size? The online reviews are all over the place in terms of whether they run big or small. Guess I should just get out to a store and try them on, but my lazy ass loves buying online.
    Manx, I'm never the same size anywhere. I'm a 6 in Old Navy and Gap and a 6 or 8 at Ann Taylor. I went with the 8s for the ReRock. I tried them on at the store to make sure I was getting the right size (the $50 off was for an online purchase so I ran home and ordered them) but I think I'll have to wear them at home for an hour to know.

Vanity sizing is insane and out of control. I honestly think that bringing back standard sizing would help solve a big chunk of our weight issues in the US.

WCG, I agree on the boyfriend jeans. I have a pair and LOVE them.
    ManxMouse likes this.

Silver Member

I love Silver jeans. I never have to try them on, just grab my size and go. They just fit right every time.
    Beeyotch likes this.

I have a pair of boyfriend jeans, too, from Ann Taylor (one of the few stores that carries petites around here) and wore them all summer. I love that look.

I honestly think that bringing back standard sizing would help solve a big chunk of our weight issues in the US.
    VOUCH, I'm on-board with standard sizing. If nothing else it would cut down on the headache of trying to decode what size I am in each brand. I hate the vanity sizing bullshit - sewing a size 6 label in a pair of size 16 pants doesn't change reality for anybody.
    gas_chick likes this.

I remember my mom buying clothes for my aunt and cutting the tags out so she wouldn't get upset. I used to think but hey doesn't she know how big she is already. Stop the madness!
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I love Silver jeans too. I have a pair of American Rag ones that I just wear the shit out of. Had them for about a year and a half and they're still wearing great. And both brands have stretch in them and they haven't lost their shape.

I wear plus sizes and it's not the vanity sizing that makes me like stretch it's because it will work with my wacky proportions (huge ass/thighs+normal waist). Usually, jeans without stretch will either fit my waist but not my ass, and if they fit my ass there's a 4-inch gap at the back of the waist.
    Novice likes this.

B I tried some PZI jeans, and they're really weird. I'm a pear, so waist & top = one size arse & thighs = completely different size!!! I figured that PZI jeans would be ideal, except they're for Kardashians with butt implants & skinny thighs.... Still haven't worked out what that is all about..... *weird*
    Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Express, eh? I haven't walked into that place since the 90's.

I buy whatever jean is on the sale rack and looks good on me when I try them on. Don't care the brand name, and I don't pay more than $25.
    I like your style! I've got some great jeans from ebay (for my shame!).
    I wear jeans a lot. I frequently wear them to work .

But the writer is wrong about all Gap jeans. First off you can see she's wearing the wrong size in most of the gap pics. And maybe they're just not cut right for her body, that doesn't make them mom jeans. You just have to find a brand that works for your body.

And she doesn't know what she's talking about regarding the sexy boyfriend. I've been rocking the sexy boyfriend cut all summer. Mine don't have pleats, and they're fucking great.

I live in jeans - dog walking, work, play, jeans..... However, I don't mind a little stretch since I have to sit at a desk for X hours a day.... But we're talking 1% - 2% at the most!
    I just can't comment on the sizing/fit of the jeans that she picked. It was like she was just trying to prove a point.
    I like your examples of "sexy boyfriend", Its not something I've tried (due to not buying yet another pair of jeans while I'm losing weight and also not wearing heels so I'm not sure how it'll work.

Stop looking on the plus rail! I've seen some awful concoctions on there. However, my fave jeans were a small plus size pair that had quite a lot of stretch, but they were the most flattering cut I have ever worn. I cried when they died & unpicked them to make a pattern from them, but the replacement never seemed to fit the same....
    Vanity sizing is insane and out of control. I honestly think that bringing back standard sizing would help solve a big chunk of our weight issues in the US.
    Very freudian Bella! LOL
    Free Charmed.

this. i'd say she doesn't really know what she's talking about, in general.
    the sexy boyfriend cut can be great, i have one with and one without pleats. yes, pleats look good on some people. not everyone, but again, it's all about knowing what flatters you. and if you know what to wear them with. obviously, if you're wearing them with a crappy t-shirt or running shoes they're gonna look like shit. but with a cute top, cropped jacket and heels? win.

also, yes, the gap romper she tried on looks hideous from the back, but from the front? probably the most flattering thing she tried out of all the pictures she posted.

that said, i've never liked the fit of gap jeans. their pants in general i think are just blocky, unflattering cuts that just don't work, at least on me. and i just don't like the fabrics or style.
    never tried old navy jeans before.

as for stretch in jeans, i like a bit of stretch in skinny jeans. emphasis a bit. not so much they're so stretchy they shine and after a half hour they've stretched out and are so loose they're falling down. i'm talking minimal stretch, which isn't easy to find.
    surprisingly, because i don't tend to like any of their clothes, urban outfitters make great jeans. at great prices. and with a huge variety of styles.

one last thing, the blogger needs top stop looking for boot cut. of all the jeans she tried, the ones she looks best in are the antik straight and the skinny jeans by other, non-gap brands. way more flattering on her than boot cuts. i never think boot cuts look good on people but people seem to be convinced otherwise.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I like your examples of "sexy boyfriend", Its not something I've tried (due to not buying yet another pair of jeans while I'm losing weight and also not wearing heels so I'm not sure how it'll work.

they work with flats just as well. and the fit is comfy as anything, because they're so loose. it's like wearing pajamas.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

that said, i've never liked the fit of gap jeans.
    me too. they're good on some shapes, not mine though. i was friendly with their fit model years ago, and we're built nothing alike, so...

i tend to stick with the same brands for jeans. I probably only have 3 or 4 brands. Mostly Joes. Once I know a brand's fit is good for me, I can even order them on ebay and know they'll work.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; September 25th, 2013 at 07:22 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information