Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I need fashion advice!

Haha, Thank you, ladies. And thank you for saving me from myself and talking me out of the brown top/showing the world my bum.

I love that pantsuit anyway...it hurt my pride a little to realize I was going to have to alter it Friday afternoon to make up for my current mommy hippage, but in the end it made a marvelous segway into, "You SEW? Can you make something for me!?"

More contract work is always good
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Great choice. I really have to say you have a knack of getting right to the heart of the vintage look (whichever year it may be).

I still want to see you in a late 40's skirt suit a la "The New Look" by Dior. Whip one up!

A*O

The pantsuit is perfect. A bit retro and edgey but still 'you'. And very elegant for a formal party. The brown top is cute but not for an occasion like that. Glad it worked and you had a great time!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Great choice. I really have to say you have a knack of getting right to the heart of the vintage look (whichever year it may be).

I still want to see you in a late 40's skirt suit a la "The New Look" by Dior. Whip one up!
    You know, I have a GREAT late thirties/early forties vintage suit (Zomg, the zipper is complete crud, though...hazards of buying vintage ) But I haven't altered it to fit, yet. I really should, but its a complicated suit so I don't want to overdo it or it will pull strangely with all the angular cuts. When I do get it done, I promise to post pictures.

Hopefully I will have more hair by the time I finish it so I can pull off something forties-esque again.
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I know I already posted a comment on your live journal about this, but seriously... You look hot. Hot outfit, hot shoes, hot hair, hot everything! *muah*

Now we need to get together so we can double the hawtness
    Do it anyway

*jellus of your hawtness and your ability to SEW!*

Really makes me wish I'd learned how to properly use a sewing machine. I tried a couple of times and I just had absolutely no patience with the bobbin that kept f*&%ing up. I couldn't handle it and threw in the towel...

I love how you can pull off the retro looks. Not many people can.

Great choice Lola!!!

Total 70's Pucci style glam......

Glad you enjoyed!!!
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I love how you can pull off the retro looks. Not many people can.
    Word. You looked glorious.

Really makes me wish I'd learned how to properly use a sewing machine. I tried a couple of times and I just had absolutely no patience with the bobbin that kept f*&%ing up. I couldn't handle it and threw in the towel...
    If you have a true desire, many sewing shops offer sewing classes now...and a lot of them include making a formal as your final project. I haven't taken one (Not to sound conceited, but I've never felt the need to) but I have heard from seamstress friends that they are REALLY helpful, especially if you previously thought you couldn't be taught.

That being said, I have tried to teach a few of my friends and yet still find myself hemming their pants, so I suppose its not for everyone.
    Do it anyway

Hmm, that reminds me I've got some jeans that need hemming... Yeah, I'll be taking those in to a seamstress (I've paid like $7-12 to have pants hemmed, so I hope your friends are properly appreciating your $killz.) Usually I can do a decent hemming job by hand with regular pants, but jeans? I tried once and it looked like a home ec project gone tragically wrong. The seams are just much more visible and the fabric is tougher to work with.

Again, maybe if I knew how to work a sewing machine... I really should look into basic sewing classes, you're right. All I remember is losing my patience with that damn bobbin. I really do blame that stupid bobbin...

Hmm, that reminds me I've got some jeans that need hemming... Yeah, I'll be taking those in to a seamstress (I've paid like $7-12 to have pants hemmed, so I hope your friends are properly appreciating your $killz.) Usually I can do a decent hemming job by hand with regular pants, but jeans? I tried once and it looked like a home ec project gone tragically wrong. The seams are just much more visible and the fabric is tougher to work with.

Again, maybe if I knew how to work a sewing machine... I really should look into basic sewing classes, you're right. All I remember is losing my patience with that damn bobbin. I really do blame that stupid bobbin...
    In a pinch, you can use an upholstery needle to hem jeans; though denim is always a bitch to work with by hand. On top of that,you have to have a commercial grade machine to sew denim, so that makes it a double pai n
    Do it anyway

A*O

My mother is a fabulous needlewoman/dressmaker. She can do everything - dressmaking, knitting, embroidery, crochet, millinary, tailoring, etc - learned from her mother. She's taught me the basics but I still can't knit for shit but I plan to learn her quilting/patchwork skills before it's too late because she has a real gift. I will post some pics to give you an idea how good she is and since my sister can't even sew on a button I feel it's my responsibility to carry on the family tradition.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My mother is a fabulous needlewoman/dressmaker. She can do everything - dressmaking, knitting, embroidery, crochet, millinary, tailoring, etc - learned from her mother. She's taught me the basics but I still can't knit for shit but I plan to learn her quilting/patchwork skills before it's too late because she has a real gift. I will post some pics to give you an idea how good she is and since my sister can't even sew on a button I feel it's my responsibility to carry on the family tradition.
    I would love to see her work My mother taught me to sew when I was seven and I made my first wearable dress when I was 15 (A bathrobe, some pillows and some tote bags came before it, but nothing I could go out in public WEARING, heh) Can't believe this photo was taken 14 years ago. Time flies.

I was amazed at how little I actually knew when I took my first costuming course. I had an amazing teacher at University of Houston, and it sounds like your mother is similar to her in talent. Even though I was the most advanced in my class, she found a million things I was doing wrong. All my stitching was too tight, took too long...my tailoring was very sloppy. I didn't iron half the time when I should...ironing is everything. Who knew?

A true seamstress is amazing. I still feel like kind of a hack. Your mother being so capable and you experiencing that first hand is a gem; it is so rare to see real sewing *talent*. I still cut too many corners I have been spoiled by the theatre...if it looks good from far away, I don't have to worry about it. That led me into some VERY bad habits.
    Do it anyway

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information