Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to wear the trends

Thanks, Cali! These clothes give me hope, and they are much more wearable than the hideous fashions that were inflicted on us last fall. The wide pants remind of me the pants from the 70's. It's amazing fashion recycles itself. I love the shirt dresses, too.

I like the wide pants too. LB has some, but they are only available in petite online, not in the stores, so I'd have to order them instead of buying them with my employee discount I think the shirtdresses are really cute too, but the Gap's looks too much like I just grabbed the bf's shirt and forgot to wear pants with it. I don't think I could pull that off very well.

Silver Member

I bought similar straight legged jeans. They work really, really well.

Ok I have a question. What are some good trends for over 30 but still want to me trendy without being ridiculous.
    I have an " athletic" build. Broad shoulders, small waist.
    Um..." Sturdy" is what my PT calls it ( blehhh)
    What can I wear so I don't look like a MAC truck?
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Dean James
    What can you possibly do with a high waist? I have long legs but my hips begin where my ribcage ends. What's coming up in Spring that won't look stupid on me since I can't do belts.

I don't think that you have to go to the super-high waist jean, like this, on Scarlett Johansen:

In fact, if you really are short-waisted, then I'd avoid pants with high waistes altogether. On you, they won't hit where they are designed to, and they will wind up sitting just below your bust. If you want to do the high-waist thing, stick to dresses and skirts. Also, blazers and tops that nip in at the waist are great for this.

You could also look great in a look like this, below. Lindsay Lohan has next to no waist, but she still manages to put together many looks that are amazing and flattering. I'll post more in a bit.

Also, I'll post more spring/summer trends later on. And hotncmom, I'll answer your questions ASAP!

Heavier fabrics as Cali said, and also dressing in monochromatic colours really help slenderize and flatter the body. I often wear different shades of grey, brown, tan and even black, and it's like shedding pounds. You can tie this look together with a blazer -- I have a couple of leather blazers that I swear by -- a scarf or belt, a cardigan or even a dramatic piece of jewelry. It's classy, elegant and best of all, easy.

Elite Member

Great stuff Cali!

More questions...I am looking at buying some cute stuff for spring.

1) Are oversized bags still in? I have looked at them and I just don't have that much stuff! Not even close! What are people putting in these things?
    And is white still a good color for a bag? As in, not going out of style any time soon?

2) Are wedges still going to be good for spring?

3) Where can I get those Seven for all Mankind jeans you posted? So cute!
    Are there any cheaper alternatives? I think DH would kill me if I spent $150 on a pair of jeans.

4) What is the trend in spring jackets?

5) I bought some red suede peep toe stilettos from Nine West this fall. I also have a black knit wrap dress from Ann Taylor. Do you think the red shoes would look awesome with the black dress?

Thanks!

ooo, red suede peeptoe stilettos- i just creamed myself.

Thanks for the tippery, Calimoonchild!!
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

I love black and red together. Red shoes are great, and they go with a lot more than you would think. I wore black pants with a red and black top today, and red boots.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; January 20th, 2007 at 02:19 AM.

I love this thread, thanks Cali! I'm so glad to hear that skinny jeans are probably on the way out. I am built like Kelly Clarkson...nearly identical actually. Any suggestions for someone who is rather pear-shaped? I have a skinny waist, big booty & thighs...

Thanks again for doing this, it's great!
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

hotncmom
    Second question...I'm 37. I assume I am too old to wear leggings in any way, shape or form?
    I dont think so! There are ways to wear them that make them mature, sophisticated and a good layering piece. I think its mainly up to you: if you put them on under something and feel silly, then its not for you.

I found this article on the subject: http://www.denverpost.com/sundaystyle/ci_4506734

Third question...are those fat white belts with a million holepunches in them finally out? I still see people wearing them around here (NC) but we are behind, so..

Do you mean those punk-inspired belts, like you buy at Hot Topic? I think that's mainly a teenybopper trend, not a fashion trend. Personally, like you, I think they are hideous.

And I'm working on the rest of the questions!

SVZ

Keep it up Cali

Dean James
    What's coming up in Spring that won't look stupid on me since I can't do belts.

Sportswear continues: hoodies, anoraks/parkas, leggings, stripes, visors & sneakers. Also, there was an emphasis on ballet-inspired looks.

1940s styles are coming back too. Dolman sleeves, satin, subdued colors, shirtdresses & strong shoulders:

1980s fashions are coming back too: tight dresses, neon colors, etc. Hideous and I won't be wearing any of it.

Metallics also continue. Silvers and golds, but also like this:

Trapeze coats, dressees and tops will also be huge in Spring.

SVZ

Hey Cali,

any idea what brand this is?

I really like the outfit

Wow, I am really enjoying this thread! It's better than reading a fashion magazine.

I've never followed the trends, i wear what suits me, and if I wear something thats not in fashion but comes into fashion later on, i get annoyed.

I just realized my reply belongs in the fashion and trends forum, whoops, this is for people who appreciate trends and wish to wear the fashion, so clearly i dont belong in here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information