Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gucci and Prada...for your 12 year old

Not buying designer does NOT equal looking cheap. I guarantee you - a certainly your toddler - can't tell the difference between a $10 t-shirt from the GAP and a $300 from Versace. Just because something costs an obscene amount of money doesn't necessarily mean it's of any better quality than a reasonably priced similar item or that it looks any nicer. BooHoo, my kid's going to need therapy because he wasn't sporting jeans with a price tag equal to my car payment. Hmmm... Let's see... Designer duds or food on the table? These parents need to get their priorities straight.

Some affluent parents want their children to be interested in this kind of stuff, it's not by chance that their kids are in an environment that pressurises them to comform and show off their wealth - Lots of parents would rather have brand label teens who look like they'll try to maintain that lifestyle later on than a teen who would display some worrying sign of interest for an alternative lifestyle

I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a child even if I had it to spend, simply because they grow out of things! For myself and my SO, I will buy the occasional designer piece - usually I either save up for something special, or buy when it's on sale/from Bluefly.com. And truth be told, if I could afford it, I would probably own a few more designer items.

But I will always buy some cheap things (who needs a designer tee to wear under a blazer?), some vintage things, some thrift store things and just continue to mix it up. I like some designer pieces, but I don't like them just because they're designer. On that note, I don't really take issue with these parents buying designer duds for their kids IF they can afford it - but again, how long do kids' clothes last? It just seems like throwing money down the drain.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I bought my 5 y.o. a Louis Vuitton cherries back pack from Indonesia. She loves the bag. As soon as she saw it - she said "is that for me?"

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Not buying designer does NOT equal looking cheap. I guarantee you - a certainly your toddler - can't tell the difference between a $10 t-shirt from the GAP and a $300 from Versace. Just because something costs an obscene amount of money doesn't necessarily mean it's of any better quality than a reasonably priced similar item or that it looks any nicer. BooHoo, my kid's going to need therapy because he wasn't sporting jeans with a price tag equal to my car payment. Hmmm... Let's see... Designer duds or food on the table? These parents need to get their priorities straight.
    That reminds me of a story; my aunty only buys designer clothes and is absolutely horrified to even think of shopping at a second hand store, and when she had her first child, my Mum bought the baby this really cute dress from a second hand shop and my aunty LOVED it, and her daughter was always wearing it.... imagine how horrified she'd be to learn its from a second hand shop! It looked expensive, but wasn't.

SVZ

I bet these families tend to be nouveau riche.

^^Well, I have no wish to buy these things, like I said, the ones I bought are just to shut the family up...and I usually cheat by removing labels .

I find good clothes in other stores, too, besides the designer ones.

And the most poignant point is-you are being pressurised by the circle of friends, family, school etc. And the kids outgrow them fast(at 3,especially!).They bloody read the labels at the school-old excuse, they went out and had to get that coat, hat, wellies on...but I saw the teachers and helpers reading labels !!!
    And kids' stores are getting more and more expensive items in - I talk in my area, where these snobs are a big bunch.
    And the catalogues!!
    And the "fashionable friends"!!!
    And some cows of mums, at these meetings "for parents" they invite us monthly, really do talk crap like this non-stop:which designer shop is best, what they have bought recently,where they got a bargain, yeah , nouveau riches....but bitches !!!

Can't stand their attitude!!

On another note , I DO buy certain designer items for: simple fact- BETTER MADE...they last longer than cheaper stuff (I've got shirts and boots and other items that I hold on to, 8-9-10 years after purchase!) and for the aestethic -I simply like an item very much.
    For kids, as long as it's cotton(best thing for their skin), shouldn't be as much of a fuss!!!
    ----------------------

Respect is given when respect is deserved.

Silver Member

I was just reading an article that teens in the workforce are down. HOWEVER a common denominator of CEO's are ( drumroll please) Jobs as Teenagers!!
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information