Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gap Redesigns Logo ... But Why?

I love the OLD Gap logo

Zee

Iconic logo replaced by cheap looking logo. Epic stupidity.

I smell the work of a marketing genius embracing social media.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I think they will get rid of it, there has been a lot of backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I love the OLD Gap logo

Me too. I actually swore them off for a few years when they changed it (bitchy teenager that I was). I can't really get into the Gap anymore. They only make clothes for women who have no boobs and can wear clothes with no structure.

I was discussing this whole logo change with some other PR/Marketing colleagues of mine, and we concluded this may be a PR move. Think about it, I haven't talked about the GAP like this in a LONG time. They certainly have bought attention to themselves.

fgg

Gap's logo back to blue after fans gripe about new

Gap's logo returns to blue after fans gripe about new logo online

FILE - In this Aug. 19, 2009 file photo, a customer leaves a Gap store in Palo Alto, Calif. Gap Inc. on Monday, Oct. 11, 2010 decided to keep its decades-old white-on-navy blue logo, one week after the company swapped it online for a new logo that irritated fans.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Gap is back to blue.

The casualwear chain will keep its decades-old white-on-navy blue logo after all. The move comes just one week after the company swapped it online for a new logo without saying a word. The new logo irritated fans, spurring them to complain about it online.

Gap North America president Marka Hansen said in a statement late Monday that the San Francisco-based company realized how much people liked the old logo after they put up the new one, a white background with black letters and a little blue box. She also says Gap didn't handle the change correctly and missed a chance to have shoppers offer input until it was too late. (and wasted a ton of money, i'm sure...)

"There may be a time to evolve our logo, but if and when that time comes, we'll handle it in a different way," Hansen said, adding that the project was not the right one to offer up to "crowd sourcing."

Crowd sourcing the new logo, or allowing fans to help design a new one, was the company's original solution to the issue of quelling consumer confusion. Marketers are increasingly letting fans help or fully make decisions, including PepsiCo Inc.'s Doritos brand having fans create and vote on Super Bowl commercials. But a logo change left up to the crowd is much more rare.

The new logo was still live on the website Monday, one week after the company swapped it in on gap.com. Confused fans took to Twitter, Facebook and tech blogs to complain. The company stood by the new logo, saying it would roll it out in stores and advertising next month.

The company plans to return the original logo to the website on Tuesday and is moving as quickly as it can, spokeswoman Louise Callagy said.

Gap announced the change on its Facebook page, where it has more than 700,000 fans. The old blue logo was never removed from the page.

"We've heard loud and clear that you don't like the new logo. We've learned a lot from the feedback. We only want what's best for the brand and our customers," the company said.

Fans reacted quickly and seemed relieved. One responded: "Thanks for listening. The blue box logo is truly classic. We love it as it is." Others wondered why it was even swapped out in the first place.

Originally the company had wanted the new logo to coincide with what it says was its updated image, including having more modern designs of jeans, pants and other clothing.

The company got itself into a jam by putting out the new logo without explaining the change, said Tony Spaeth, president of Identityworks, a consulting firm in Rye, N.Y. It had a reason for the change, but missed a key chance to share it with fans until it was too late.

Spaeth said he was surprised the company decided so quickly to return to the blue logo, but said it was right to admit it made a mistake both in putting up the logo and then reacting by suggesting fans help with the decision.

Logos are key to brands because they convey meaning and are something fans feel connected to. Spaeth said fans might be appeased now, but investors, competitors, and even potential employees may still be scratching their head that the company made such a mistake with something so important.

There probably will not be much long-term damage to the brand.

"They really were in big trouble," he said. "And now they have some breathing space."

Although fans be warned: The blue box will turn red for the holidays, as it has done for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Me too. I actually swore them off for a few years when they changed it (bitchy teenager that I was). I can't really get into the Gap anymore. They only make clothes for women who have no boobs and can wear clothes with no structure.
    I think you're being generous. I would say they don't make clothes for women but make clothes for teenagers with no boobs or hips.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

stupid

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I love the OLD Gap logo

from the old days when you could get levi's at the gap
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I crapped my own logo:
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Did they really use Microsoft graphics? ^What did you use to make that?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Did they really use Microsoft graphics? ^What did you use to make that?
    ta da! Admit it, you've got Grimm on ignore.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

OH shit, no it's worse: apparently I just have a terrible attention span.

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information