Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The end of my life is near and I need an outfit

So I didn't want to make a new thread and I didn't want to clog up the Million Replies thread, so I'll just use this one to keep my ideas in one place. I'm in my dad's wedding and I'm a bridesmaid.. we have the option of choosing the top half of our dresses.. the bottom half is a standard floor-length, A-line silhouette made of burgundy raw silk. The wedding is in November and she's asking us to choose a style with sleeves so I'm wavering between short sleeves or full on winter sleeves. Maybe 3/4 length sleeves. But here is what I've found. I'm not sure if I can ask them to make a design incorporating a different fabric.. a lot of these are jersey or chiffon-ish. I'll have to double check on that.

I would actually love to do some really dramatic 70s style sleeves but I don't want to be obnoxious and upstage the bride.. I think she's going for low key so my couture dreams are pretty limited.

raw silk is also kind of 'stiff', not soft and drapey like satin, so you have to keep that in mind as well. i'm not sure it would work well with the first 2 you posted, unless you incorporated another fabric. and that might not really work, if the other bridesmaids don't - you'll really stand out and i'm not sure that's the point of bridesmaids.

because it's raw silk, i would recommend going for a more tailored look. i recently had a dress made out of raw silk for my sister's wedding and went with more of a 60s tailored feel and it's perfect for that because it really holds the shape well. not sure it would work for 70s style dramatic sleeves.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah.. I'm going to have to ask if I can use different fabrics because raw silk won't flow the way these designs need to flow.. it's that slubby kind of silk, right? I don't know why she chose such a stiff fabric. But anyhow, I'm now looking at more '40s/'50s style designs.. with a strong collar, almost like a tailored dress shirt. Or maybe something with a square neckline and strong sleeves. Google image search is a big fat fail right now.

it's actually a great fabric if you're going for a more tailored look, but not for flowy stuff. so i recommend more of a 40s-60s vintage look. it would definitely work if you want a strong collar, or something like the first 2 pictures you posted in the other thread, or cap sleeves. think nipped waist, that kind of thing. or tailored mod dresses, and then just have it made long.

what about this kind of sleeve? you could have it look quite conservative from the front with the same neckline and sleeves as in this pic, but then have a plunging back or something. just imagine the stupid lace trim isn't there.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I know crap-all about material, but would something like this work?

I reaaaally like that. I love slit sleeves.. the dress I posted a few pages back had slit sleeves and it was the one I ended up wearing to my graduation. But, like Sputnik said, the fabric isn't as flowy as I had originally thought.. it's that weird, stiff fabric.. like this:

So I think a shirted design would be easier to deal with. She said 'raw silk'.. maybe she had it confused. I don't even know. I'm going to have to email her to get more details.

if it's raw silk it's definitely stiffer than other silk fabrics like satin or crepe. so if that's what she meant you might have to think more 'mad men' and natalie wood than 70s flowy sleeves.

Ask her if you can have a large swatch. that would make it better to think on.
    Found this:

Large Image Two Piece Raw Silk Dress With Surplice Neck
    Piece Raw Silk Dress With Surplice Neck
    Last edited by McJag; August 13th, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I saw that too when I googled 'raw silk dress'.. I think the bottom half of that is pretty representative of what I'm working with. I just didn't want to get stuck with a boring bridesmaids dress.. I want to have fun with it, you know? That's why I think a retro kind of thing would be fun.. so far the only look I can think of that would work with such a stiff fabric is maybe something a little more like this.. even though I hate those buttons and that belt thing:

But,Penny- The buttons & belt make the retro! I think that would be neat with buttons on a long skirt. Very retro. Belt,too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread Information