Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The baby doll, puffed-sleeve trend -- when will it end?

i think the puffy little sleeves are so cute. mind you i guess it looks good on some and not on others. i don't care for the pregnant-type baby doll shirts but again it's all body type.

i am also a small woman at 5'1 so i like how the puffy sleeve gives me the appearance of a broader shoulder as mine are v small.

I like the puffy sleeve look. Mind you, not a HUGE puff, just a little accented puff, it just adds a little character and can make a shirt a littler more dressy. I don't really think they look terrible on any particular body shape.

The babydoll shirts...idk, there are some that are really cute, but I couldn't ever wear one.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I think these tops can look so cute on a slim woman with willowy arms - I love them on Ugly Betty's Amanda - but so bad on a woman with more matronly (or even purely muscular) arms, lol. I can't get away with them, myself, and I fit into the more toned category. It just doesn't look right.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I found a gorgeous silk/cotton knit, black, scoop-neck top yesterday with an empire waist and I tried it on. But the ridiculous puffed sleeves made me not buy it. Whatever happened to capped sleeves? They weren't huge, but most women over the age of 25 don't have rail-thin arms any more. That has been my experience trying to buy anything fashionable this summer -- frustrating. Thank God I'm headed to Montreal soon where there will be more classic European fashions available!

i love shopping in montreal so much! there is no end of amazing clothing to be bought.

Elite Member

I love these blouses. They're comfortable and so pretty because they come in so many styles, shades, fabrics and prints. I don't think a woman always looks pregnant in them unless you have a protruding stomach to begin with or you're already a little overweight. If you wear them with form-fitting pants and some nice wedgie heels you can tell the difference between a pregnant body and a thin one underneath. I've seen a lot of really thin girls wearing these baby doll blouses and they look really cute--not fat or pregnant at all.

It's the sleeves I don't like, tho.

Elite Member

Luckily these blouses come in all styles. So if it's the puffy sleeves you don't like, a person can pretty much pick the sleeves they feel comfortable wearing. The store 'Forever 21' has some great styles of babydoll and tunic tops. I'm always scanning their racks...lol

Oops, sorry, I forgot to thumbnail these!

http://www.forever21.com/category.as...+Tops&Page=all

I have a couple of simiilar tops, but I live in a cooler climate so I tend to go for a bit more sleeve. Strapless isn't a look I can pull off -- I have broad shoulders and a bigger bust -- makes me look top heavy! I like the red top, tho.

id wear all those tops - especially the red one and the black strapless one. gorgeous but i have to agree i hate puffy sleeves!!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

i like some flowy/babydoll tops because i happen to look good in them, but i agree that they can make some people look fat and awful

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i dont like puffy sleeves simply b/c they look dumb on me. but i dont have a lot of balls to carry off most trendy styles.

I like smock tops and dresses; they're comfy but i draw the line at puffed sleeves

I really hate the new tops that make everyone look like they are pregnant.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ yeah men dont like them either. makes sense though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information