Thread: Why Washington loves flats

Default Why Washington loves flats

America has gone hog wild for Michelle Obama's flat shoes. With all the hoopla you'd think she'd sprouted wings out of her ballerinas like Hermes. Have Americans never seen a flat before?

It may be surprising, or admirable, to some that our first lady is greeting dignitaries in a flat, but if you live in Washington, you know that they are the city's official footwear. In the warmer months, there are so many toes tucked into Tory Burch or J. Crew ballerinas that you wonder if the District's women all have plans to pirouette with Baryshnikov after work.

Washington is a preppy town, and the flat is a very preppy shoe. Those outside the beltway may not realize it, but D.C. summers are full of whale pants, seersucker, Nantucket red and yes, brightly colored ballerina flats. Michelle's classic style is what Washington is made of. We are not a high fashion city but a town with a lot more emphasis on being put together than sexy. Capitol Hill and Georgetown are full of women sporting sundresses and pearls with nary a heel in sight. And they don't get tarred and feathered for their choice of footwear by Anna Wintour, because before January 20th 2009, the fashion world didn't know where Washington was.

Washington had style before the Obamas came to town, and the flat shoe was not birthed with the current first lady. But never mind the details. Barbara Bush had her pearls, Nancy Reagan her low BMI and Michelle Obama her ballerina flats. We've seen her in beige ones, silver ones, black, patent and lace ones, and then of course there are the flat boots and flat sandals. (See a slideshow to this effect.) Why has Michelle Obama picked the flat as the head cheerleader of shoes? Is it because she doesn't want to tower over her husband? Because she wants to be conceived as casual? Or does she have foot issues she would rather not share with us? The world may never know.

What we do know is that a political woman's footwear can put the media in a tizzy. When Sarah Palin wore her sky-high heels, she was scrutinized down to her bunions. I understand why our first lady is not following suit. She can't exactly strap on a platform gladiator sandal and have Midwestern moms and podiatrists chide her for her choice. So she has chosen the Miss Congeniality of footwear and showed us that there's something refreshingly modern about a first lady in flats.
    Karin Tanabe: Why Washington Loves Flats

She is on her feet and having to walk long distances. I wouln't blame her if she wore track shoes!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Her St. Patrick's Day footwear. I think the fur is faux:

I wear flats most days to work because there is A LOT of marble flooring and I'm scared I'm going to break my ass in heels. About the highest I trust myself on is a little over 2 inches - barely a heel at all, but it gives me a little lift.

Flats can be really chic... pointed toes, square toes, round toes, mary jane style, with ankle straps, all sorts of colors and prints/textures/materials... and the best part is they're really comfy for the most part.

i love flats. now that i work in an office that doesn't require me to dress up, i totally wear flats all of the time. my feet are much happier.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I think people would find the Obama's used shit paper to be all the rage.

My God, she's not the first woman to ever wear flats.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^ITA. I don't get the wardrobe worship.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

We wear flats in DC because the cobblestone streets and sidewalks kill high-heeled shoes. All of the kitten heels I wore in Vegas were destroyed within months of moving here.

um flats just seem more comfortable.. wait, i'm a guy. THEY ARE.

i cant imagine tottering around on heels, god that would fucking hurt the ball of my feet
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

With the new super-high heels out now, I find my big toe hurts more than the ball of the foot. Podiatrists are going to be rolling in cash until they go out of style.

It's sort of unpleasant to think of podiatrists rolling in cash. Not sure why.

Thread Information