Thread: Plastic bag boots

Default Plastic bag boots

Boots made of recycled carrier bags have been created by an eco-conscious designer keen to make use of old plastic bags.
    Dubbed the answer to the plastic-bag plague, designer Camila Labra's environmentally friendly Dacca Boots are causing waves in the fashion world.

Trolley dolly: Designer Camilla Labra is aiming to extend the 'useful life' of carrier bags by turning them into £30 boots

Named after the Bangladeshi city of Dhaka, which banned plastic bags in 2002 after they overwhelmed the city, the ankle boots are made almost entirely from every day plastic shopping bags.
    The 23-year-old designer's aim is to extend what she calls the 'useful' life of plastic bags.
    She has built up a collection of bags from numerous shopping trips and uses around eight bags, combined with a cotton lining, to make each pair of shoes.
    Miss Labra, from Santiago, Chile, came up with the idea while studying design at Universidad Diego Portales in Santiago.
    As part of a last-year exam, the student was tasked with creating something from unusual materials.

Plastic fantastic: The boots are naturally waterproof and don't feel or look like they've been made from plastic bags, says Camilla Labra

She said: "I realised that there was a lot of plastic bags in my home and that everyone used them like a trash bag.
    "I was sure you could do something more useful with them than that and then one day I saw people putting them on their feet to stop their shoes getting wet.
    "It was then that I realised the bags would be great for making boots." Miss Labra was not initially intending to produce more than one pair but started selling them after people came to her asking where they could buy them.
    She said: "When I tell people that they are made from plastic bags they don't believe me.
    "I think this is because they don't look like they've been made from plastic bags and they don't feel like plastic bags when you touch them."

A pair of Miss Labra's boots costs around £30 and can be ordered through her Botas Dacca website.

Popular demand: Camilla Labra decided to market her plastic bag boots after people kept asking her where her boots came from

They're the carrier bag boots that could save the world... But would you actually wear them? | Mail Online

Elite Member

Interesting concept. And with the right outfit, they might be stylish.

sorry, call me a snob, but I don't wear plastic shoes- with the exception of rubber beach thongs
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Lol, when I saw the title I was reminded of my childhood...putting plastic bread bags on with our winter boots to keep our feet dry.

Speaking of my childhood, those boots look very 80s, and very ugly.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I think the first pair is cute.

Yeah, no made in China shoes for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    Lol, when I saw the title I was reminded of my childhood...putting plastic bread bags on with our winter boots to keep our feet dry.

Speaking of my childhood, those boots look very 80s, and very ugly.
    Same for me. Ah the good old days when the boots couldn't keep out the water.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    sorry, call me a snob, but I don't wear plastic shoes- with the exception of rubber beach thongs
    same here. flip flops and rain boots are the only plastic i'll wear on my feet.
    plastic shoes make your feet sweat. and they give me blisters.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

UGLY! And Plastic, yuk!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Thread Information