Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to front models struggle to make it down the catwalk

Default Back to front models struggle to make it down the catwalk

First Prada sent their models toppling over in dangerously high heels, now they are being made to walk the runway without even being able to see where they are going.

And despite there being very little clothing involved, Martin Margiela's show still caused quite the stir at Paris Fashion Week.

Models showcased the celebrated designer's bizarre collection - wearing face stockings and wigs that covered their entire heads.

Cousin It: Margiella's catwalk creations bared some resemblance to the Adams Family character

Amazingly though, they managed to keep their balance and stay upright.
    Those worried about keeping up with the latest trends in these tough economic times need not fret - not only did Vivenne Westwood feature DIY clothing, Margiella's outfits can easily be recreated with a plain white shirt and a pair of tights.

Known as Fashion's 'invisible man', the Belgian designer rarely does interviews and never makes catwalk appearances - preferring to be contacted via fax - maintaining anonymity to prove that clothes 'are greater than the creator'.

Faceless: The Belgian designer hides his models to emphasise that 'clothes are greater than the creator'

Hair today: Margiela's jackets look like an extension of the wigs

This perhaps goes some way to explaining why Margiela has chosen to mask his models, reducing them to mannequins to highlight the importance of fashion over celebrity.
    Margiela's mysterious profile has done little to blight his popularity though as the Antwerp-born designer has been hailed as fashion royalty and counts Balenciaga designer Nicolas Ghesquière as one of his fans.
    Margiela's iconic status was consolidated in a recently opened exhibition at Antwerp’s Mode Museum in Belgium, which celebrates the last twenty years of Maison Martin Margiela.

Bank robber chic: How to steal in style

The designer shot to fame in the 80's, when he worked for Jean Paul Gaultier before showing his first collection under his own label in 1988. In 1997 he became, despite his non-traditional design, the chief designer of Hermés women's line.
    Word on the catwalk is that Margiela's Spring/Summer 09 collection will be his last and judging by Monday's show - it will be most definitely be remembered.

Off their faces: Back to front models struggle to make it down the catwalk | Mail Online

SVZ

interesting

lolwut
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I bet this wasn't what those girls had in mind when they embarked on their modelling career...

i love margiela. sure he's out there but you have to look at it from another perspective, not just as in 'could i wear this?'. and a lot of his stuff is surprisingly wearable, you can also mix and match and wear one or two off-beat pieces with an otherwise very basic outfit. if anyone's been to the dover street market in london, they carry a lot of his stuff.
    in many ways his work is similar to ann demeulemeester and dries van noten, also belgian, also from antwerp. definitely not mainstream but not as bad as the daily mail makes them sound. which isn't surprising, i think the daily mail hates not only women but anything that isn't totally mainstream and estabishment.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

That is the most retardedly pretentious concept I have ever seen.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

what is the point?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I dunno....do buttahface models come cheaper?
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Is this idiotic crap the best designers can come up with these days? Give me a break.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    That is the most retardedly pretentious concept I have ever seen.
    I agree. The garments on the models are actually pretty cliche.
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

wth, what a pathetic idea. IMO there's nothing creative or unique with the designs.

Silver Member

This reminds me of the scams of modern art and deconstructivist/modern architecture. Tom Wolfe wrote some good books about them.

There is something obscene about a fabulously well-to-do and recognized person in the fine arts thumbing his nose at the establishment that lifted him up. The people who contributed to this nonsense should be blackballed for life.

It's certainly very edgy, isn't it? I think the concept of fashion has become more about the spectacle of it all and less about the actual clothes. Each piece is meant to be more of a conversation piece, or a piece of art.. which is certainly understandable in the realm of couture fashion, but none of this looks especially innovative... it's just being edgy for the sake of edginess.

Quote Originally Posted by marina View Post

There is something obscene about a fabulously well-to-do and recognized person in the fine arts thumbing his nose at the establishment that lifted him up. The people who contributed to this nonsense should be blackballed for life.
    but that's what art is all about, and always has been. if it pandered to the establishment all the time, it would never be innovative.

it's fine not to like something but i never understood the anger so many people have toward modern art, or fashion that isn't conventionally pretty and classic LOL
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Silver Member

That's, um, a little too creative for me.

Good thing models make the big bucks - it's gotta make up for all moments they're asked to look like fools.
    I'm a motherfucker and sell candles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information