Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fashion fads: The best of the worst

Default Fashion fads: The best of the worst

Fashion Fads: The Best of the Worst
    by Lisa Marsh

We've all done it.

You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who has not fallen under the spell of a fashion trend that, in hindsight, was the worst faux pas ever.

We've compiled the best of the worst for your amusement — and, perhaps, horror. And while this collection of trends is undeniably awful, keep in mind this advice from Nicole Fischelis, Macy's vice president and fashion director: "Even [a] good trend worn on the wrong person is a bad trend." So beware!

Mega Shoulder Pads

Photo: Princess Diana at a state reception in Melbourne, October 1988.

In the 1980s, there was a sense that everything bigger had to be better. The result was a lot of out-of-proportion fashion, and mega shoulder pads were right out there in front. "I have to say that the mega shoulder pads weren't the most attractive," says Stephanie Solomon, Bloomingdale's vice president for fashion direction. However, Marylou Luther, editor of the International Fashion Syndicate, makes a great point: "Women loved, and continue to love, them because they made their hips look smaller." But that doesn't exactly justify sporting two miniature pillows on your shoulders.

Ponchos

Photo: Jennifer Lopez

They've come and gone with the seasons. Yet they just don't make anyone look chic but rail-thin runway models. "I think ponchos look ridiculous. They make people look like a tent," says Bloomingdale's Solomon. Cruelly, they can always be found in maternity stores, but should be banished except for use as rain gear.

Spandex Pants

Photo: Debbie Harry in 1979

Olivia Newton-John brought down the house in the finale of "Grease" wearing a second skin of spandex. Disco divas everywhere adopted the look in the 1970s. The pitfalls of wearing spandex pants that were styled like jeans, but fit like leggings, were numerous. Among them: visible cellulite, potential camel toe, and, for those over 100 pounds, looking simply enormous. With all that, it's amazing that they're returning. "I'm baffled by why shiny leggings are coming back," says Patricia Mears, deputy director for The Museum at FIT (the Fashion Institute of Technology). "You see them at American Apparel in bronze or orange, and I wonder, 'Who looks good in that?' Show me the one woman who looks good in that. I think we've lost it."

Midi Skirts

Photo: Doris Day

Each season, designers dictate skirt length. Women either wear what they say or risk looking dowdy — a boon for retailers who therefore enjoy a steady stream of sales from season to season. For example, in the 1960s, the mini skirt caused a sensation. "Minis meant that women could stride along and were no longer encumbered by hemlines. That was very liberating and inventive," explains Marylou Luther of the International Fashion Syndicate.

Then, in 1967, came midi skirts. They fall unflatteringly to the middle of a woman's calves. John Fairchild, the editor of Women's Wear Daily who had great sway when it came to fashion trends, pushed the midi as the next big thing . "John Fairchild forcing the midi in 1967 hurt the fashion world," Luther says. "Who wanted those hobbling lengths after a decade of liberation?"

Big Hair

Photo: Dolly Parton

There is nothing more comical than looking at pictures or music videos from the 1980s and seeing hair that defied gravity. Whatever would have possessed stylists across the nation to take a cue from spiky-haired punk rockers and tease the hair of regular women (and men) to impossible heights? Pray this one never comes back.

Stirrup Pants

Photo: Models wearing stirrup pants

First, there were elastic clips you put on the bottom of your pants to keep them smoothly in your boots. Then manufacturers had the bright idea to make them part of your pants. The problem was that women didn't exclusively wear stirrup pants with boots. Wearing them with flats seemed to make everyone's legs look shorter, and it all started to go pear-shaped from there. Simply put, pants are not meant to be attached to your feet — ever.

Visible Thongs

Photo: Actress Gillian Anderson

Two words — Monica Lewinsky. The fact that the mere sight of an intern's exposed designer thong could shake the American presidency to its foundation proves this trend is all wrong. A hint of lace peeking out from under a blouse is one thing, but this interpretation of "underwear as outerwear" is unacceptable. Trust us — no one wants to see it.

Mullets

Photo: Michael Bolton

It's two haircuts for the price of one — short and tidy in the front and long and flowing in the back. Billy Ray Cyrus and Michael Bolton fell under the mystical spell of the mullet and America sadly followed suit. Any way you cut it, it's a bad look. Remember, coming or going, you only have one head on your shoulders. Strive for one style.

Shrugs

Photo: Shalom Harlow

This strange look took hold several years ago and it was puzzling. Was it a tie-front sweater, a bolero jacket, or, in extreme cases, simply arm warmers attached in back? Designed to keep your shoulders warm and hide your arms, the look was just all wrong. Either wear a wrap, commit to a cardigan sweater, or go bare.

Harem Pants

Photo: Naomi Campbell at the 2008 CFDA Fashion Awards

Overly pleated and hanging low in the crotch, harem pants, popularized by M. C. Hammer and adopted by everyone during his heyday, are just not a good look for anyone, really. Sure, they look good while twirling on a dance floor, but in the office or on the street, they're just all wrong. Unfortunately, a comeback may be in the works; recent YSL ads feature Naomi Campbell in a sparkly pair.

Acid Wash Jeans

Photo: Taryn Manning

Back to the need for jeans makers to keep sales rolling. They once thought it was cool to wash jeans in an acid bath, which gave them a frosty, whitewashed look. Blue jeans are meant to be solid blue (or, under duress, we can accept white or black). Jeans should not be acid washed, dip-dyed, highlighted or spot-worn. Period. End of story.

Low-Rise Jeans

Photo: Model Lisa Butcher

Just about everybody wears denim. Despite the popularity of jeans, their durability can mean low sales for manufacturers. To keep the public coming back for more, designers are constantly tweaking their denim designs.

One such retooling resulted in low-rise jeans which exposed parts of the body we're sure should not be seen — even for those who wax diligently. Unfortunately for us, the only person who looked good in low-rise jeans was the teenaged Britney Spears (clearly no arbiter of good taste). Bergdorf Goodman fashion director Linda Fargo says, "Without a doubt, the ultra low-rise jean with the belly-baring cropped midriff tank-top is the worst look ever."
    Fashion Fads: The Best of the Worst - Everyday Style - Your Look - MSN Lifestyle
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I had a poncho.

I quite like shrugs.

I had ponchos when I was a kid. They look cute on kids.

Given all the heinous fashion trends the article covered--big hair, spandex, shoulder pads, mullets, visible thongs--I hardly think the ultra low-rise jeans with belly baring midriff tank top is the worst look EVER.

Oh and fuck mullets, they were never cool. They need to give the bulletin to Euro hipster kids, it was a huge trait over there mullets in Spain.

^^^^
    i blame jeremy scott for the pomo hipster mullet.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Low rise jeans can look pretty hot on someone with a perfect figure. Sadly, they are overwhelmingly preferred by young ladies who are in less than perfect shape. The result is unforgiving, unflattering and the complete opposite of the intended slimmer and sexier look that I expect these girls are going for.

Sagging pants are the worst fashion ever, imo. Especially when there is ratty underwear on display.
    Last edited by Ravenna; August 17th, 2008 at 07:29 PM.

i'd post a pic of my 17 yo nephew if his mom would let me. he's a BIG TIME offender.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I've been a big offender of most of these trends, but it was the 80's, what can I say. Although, I never jumped on:

The Poncho: even I'm not that stupid.

The Shrug: I couldn't figure it out. felt like a jigsaw puzzle for the arms

Low rise pants with crop tops: The creation of the term "Muffin Top."

Visible Thongs: I generally try to avoid wearing a thong. They are a pain in the ass!!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    I had a poncho.

I quite like shrugs.
    Me, too. I think shrugs still look ok.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Gold Member

^^Ponchos rule. My daughter has one I made her and I am working on a second. In fact becasue the poncho looks so good, I have had a request to do one for my best friend, 2 sister in laws and 2 nieces.

I still wear the poncho my nana made me. Admittedly at night when I am in bed reading but it is lovely and warm.

I still like big hair, not the 80's big hair, but I cannot stand stick straight, stuck to your head hair. Hair should be bouncy and have volume!

I don't mind shrugs.

that pic of Gillian Anderson
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Gold Member

I loved shrugs, but you do have to have a certain figure for it to look cute. It's not very flattering on plus sized women.

I loved ponchos too. They were so comfortable in the fall.

It was actually considered "fashion" to show a thong? I thought it was just skanks way of picking up men. My momma taught me to keep my undergarments under my clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I still like big hair, not the 80's big hair, but I cannot stand stick straight, stuck to your head hair. Hair should be bouncy and have volume!
    I was thinking the same thing! Big hair is hot.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information