Thread: US Clothing Sizes

Default US Clothing Sizes

Was just curious of how US Clothing Sizes compare to UK? I have seen posts where members refer to sizes 00 and 01 etc (not so much this board but APS where we had the ED members) and I can't get my head around what size that means? What is a 00 in the UK?

http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm

theres a handy little conversion chart for you...it doesnt have 0 on it, but the difference between a size 0 and a size 2 is 2 inches i think...
    Dramatically overdramatic

Thanks Haggard, geez those girls were tiny, A 0 would be a size 2 in the UK, they don't even make a 2 here, or a 4 for that matter! How sad

Shoe sizes are different too; I wear a size 5-6 in the UK, which translates as a 7-8 in the US.

I don't know if men's shoes are different or not, but women's shoes definitely are. Bra sizes seem to be the same, but underwear sizes are different.

A*O

This size thing drives me mad.
    Aussie shoe sizes are different from European, UK and US - it's all over the place.
    Aussie bras are sized 12B, 16C, 10DD etc which is fine if you are a standard Aussie size 12, 16, 10, etc (more or less the UK standard) but there are HUGE variations between brands.
    And a lot of Aussie clothing is made in China and it's great, BUT the sizes are all over the place too. In K-Mart a size 10 is almost too big on me, but in Target I can barely squeeze into a 14. Maybe I should go a bit more upmarket and hope I'm a 12 instead of a 20!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have no idea what size I wear anymore. I use to be a size 3, know who the hell knows. They keep changing the fit of clothes.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Re: US Clothing Sizes

I'm feeling like a friggin' insect. I had asked on another thread about my measurements (24" waist and 34" hips), and a fellow poster answered that I was a size 4 in the US. Ok, so my aunt send me some second hand stuff from the US. A couple of jeans fit, but had no number. Then I saw a 2 on a label and thought the slacks would be tight, but they were HUGE (Chaiken and Capone?... never heard of it)! I'm guessing the brand makes a big 2?

Brazilian sizes are very different: here I'm a 36 (that's as low as most stores go, but some go as low as 34 and I think 32 is now extinct). I also fit into 16 (largest for kids). That's all because the flat-ass gene runs on both sides of the family. I only get to feel "bigger" around a couple of my cousins.

Oh, and bra sizes here start at 42, I think. There's no such thing as cups, the numbers just grow in pairs.

Shoes are usually 2 sizes smaller than European (a 36 here is a 38 in Europe).

Why don't they just standardize this stuff? It's pretty confusing.

Even between Canada and the US, there is quite the difference. I'm pretty damn thin, but I'm a kind of amazon girl, so I tend to be an 8 - 10 in Canada. I can't even fit into a size XL bikini here, but if I shop in the US, I can buy a size 6 in pants and I have a bikini that's a size small! Even with the same brand (ie, I shop at Banana Republic on both sides of the border), I definitely take at least one size smaller in the US.

American-made clothes tend to fit bigger on me too but as everything is made in China anyway, all the sizes are all over the map. In Europe recently I discovered I am a size 12 -- 8 in Canada -- and the clothes actually fit as a proper size 8 should. Back home, I can wear anything from a 4 to a 10 and have it fit. I notice that sizes here tend to be getting smaller and smaller. I can barely squeeze into a medium and no, I'm not wearing clothes that are too small for me! The sizes HAVE changed. I've heard a lot of women complaining about it.

to be honest i'm glad they're getting smaller. i have small shoulders and i'm a petite woman. for about 2 years i could not buy anything at the gap because even an XS was far too large. this was happening in more than just the gap but particularly there. it sucks to have to go from your normal size to a size up but it does help people who are shorter/smaller to fit into adult clothes.

size 0 must be puny, im considered tiny/petite a size 8 australian in US sizings im a 4 so considering this they must be walking skeletons. Seems insane using 00 as a sizing coz here in Australia size 0, 00 and 000 is reserved for infants.

Thread Information