Thread: Jean-Paul Gaultier sends models down the catwalk wearing fox heads as hats

Default Jean-Paul Gaultier sends models down the catwalk wearing fox heads as hats

Jean-Paul Gaultier threw down the gauntlet to the anti-fur brigade last night, with an unashamed use of pelts and animal headwear in his Paris fashion week show.

The controversial Frenchman unveiled his autumn/winter collection with models wearing foxes heads as hats, provoking outrage from animal rights campaigners.
    Ingrid Newkirk from Peta questioned why he felt the need to "stick teeth on women's heads". Scroll down for more...

Bad taste or cutting edge fashion? Have your say in reader comments below

The ageing 'enfant terrible' designer defended his overwhelming use of animal pelts to the press after the show, saying "I love fur. I have always used fur," revealing that sometimes it was farmed, but sometimes reworked and modified from old coats.
    His collection was stuffed with fur, both real and fake, including leather and suede printed to look like fur, with a plethora of fox-heads, genuine and not, in the finale.
    It marks a return of fur to many big designers' collections. Fashion designer Dennis Basso provoked a large protest outside his New York fashion week show, after he sent models down the catwalk in fox jackets, mink coats and even alligator vests.
    Celebrities are also increasingly wearing pelts in public with Eva Longoria and Lindsay Lohan just to mention a few. Both Vogue Editor Anna Wintour and Sex in the City author Candace Bushell wore fur to Basso's show.
    "Many celebrities like Candace Bushell wear fur because it is given to them for free by designer who want to promote their cruelty. It's good publicity for the furrier but not for the celebrities. She should be ashamed of herself," a spokesman from the NYC Animals Rights group said. Jean Paul Gaultier's show followed his triumph of dressing Oscar winning actress Marion Cotillard in a mermaid inspired halter dress covered in silver scales.

Fur flies as Gaultier sends models down the catwalk wearing fox heads as hats | the Daily Mail

i can hear PETA's giant footsteps now...
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

gross and unnecessary!!

This is revolting. And very backwards.

I'm not even a particularly Peta-sympathetic person and this makes me cringe. Why would I want such a graphically dead animal on my head? Gross.

Well, I hope PETA does goes crazy over this one. It's so sad. Wouldn't be acceptable to wear a damn dog head on you, how is a fox any different?

do these "fashionistas" have any ounce of conscience amongst themselves? disgusting pricks
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

i don't wear fur but i i love gaultier and this did make for a pretty great runway show.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gold Member

this is so heartless!!

I would never be able to touch them let alone wear them on my head.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Thread Information