Thread: The top ten Spring 2008 fashion trends

Default The top ten Spring 2008 fashion trends

Every season brings new (or not so new, in some cases) trends, as well as new ways to wear old favorites. Here are some of my favorites for spring 2008:

1. One-shoulder and assymetrical necklines - This silhouette can work for everything from elegant Grecian goddess looks to slinky disco dresses that are reminiscent of the seventies. And it is surprisingly flattering on many figures, because it draws the eye to the collarbone, neck, and shoulders.

2. Lingerie detailing - There is very romantic and feminine about pieces that borrow from the boudoir; however, this look can also veer into costume-y and/or trashy territory. Think off-duty Dita Von Teese, not Blonde Ambition-era Madonna.

3. Ombre or dip-dyeing - Done correctly, wearing ombre can be incredibly flattering (this is probably obvious, but wear the darker shades on the areas you want to draw attention from), and it is bold enough that few accessories are needed.

4. Boyish black tie - Most of us are no stranger to looks borrowed from the guy's side of the closet, but this spring the classic tuxedo jacket takes center stage.

5. Transparent and sheer fabrics - Clearly (no pun intended), the key to making translucent pieces work is some creative layering; but with a proper foundation, this trend can be girlish and sweet or downright sexy.

6. Neon - Yes, the word neon can evoke some frightening images of eighties fashion that are best forgotten. However, a bold slash of color can take an outfit from bland to "wow!" in a heartbeat, and besides, saturated color just looks so appealing after a long gray winter.

7. Black and white prints - While this combination is eternally stylish, there will be more black and white options than ever this spring, so stock up on basic silhouettes in graphic prints - they'll look amazing with bold accessories.

8. Safari chic - Although full-on look can be difficult to wear (just cause the city is an urban jungle doesn't mean you need to dress like it), a belted field jacket and anything animal print is modern and fresh.

9. Metallics - Okay, the sparkly stuff is pretty much a fashion staple now, but this spring's metallics are more burnished luxe than high-shine tin foil.

10. Eco-friendly labels - The "green" movement is all encompassing, and organic and sustainable materials are not only trendy, they are good for the environment. Al Gore would approve.

The Fashionable Kiffen
    President Barack Obama
    Sounds amazing, doesn't it?

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm excited about the one shoulder assymetrical neckline trend...I usually try to highlight that area because it can make you appear slimmer, IMO.

Wow, I was joking when I told my friends "80's is back it style? What next, neon?" They try and bring back safari EVERY spring...just watch, they'll try to bring back naval inspired styles for summer, like they do every year.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

metallics? yuck.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Gold Member

i agree with the eco-friendly labels part

oh god, NEON? did we not learn the first time?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    Wow, I was joking when I told my friends "80's is back it style? What next, neon?" They try and bring back safari EVERY spring...just watch, they'll try to bring back naval inspired styles for summer, like they do every year.
    Yeah, really. What's next, big hair again? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    oh god, NEON? did we not learn the first time?
    No shit. I was the neon queen of 1985. If I can remember, I'm gonna snag some pics from mom's tomorrow.

Damn near all this shit is 84-89 revisited.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Yeah, really. What's next, big hair again? LOL.
    That would be cool. My hair is thick enuff that I had no problem with that back in the day. Got my aerosol can of Aqua Net sitting on ready.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

my southern roots believe the bigger the hair, the closer to God.

and i'm not sure how i feel about menswear being the trend. that means everyone's gonna look like me... i rock vests and fedoras all the time.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Neon can be cute if you just limit it to accessories (and only one at a time). This trend went through my area a year ago, and I still have neon earrings, nail polish, and clutches. I'm a closet hot pink fan, haha.

Neon green slouch socks, plastic bracelets, and necklace...Nope, I can't do that again!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Thread Information