Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designer provokes anti-fur fury at star studded New York fashion show

Default Designer provokes anti-fur fury at star studded New York fashion show

Fashion designer Dennis Basso has provoked fury among animal rights campaigners, after he sent models down the catwalk in fox jackets, mink coats and even alligator vests.

His New York fashion show was attended by celebrity fur fans including Sex in the City author Candace Bushell and Vogue editor Anna Wintour. The four stars of new TV series Lipstick Jungle, including actress Brooke Shields, smiled for the cameras as they tripped into the show in their stilettos. Scroll down for more...
    Vogue editor Anna Wintour was one fashionista who wore fur to the show yesterday

Sex and the City author Candace Bushell and Lipstick Jungle star Lindsay Price also wore fur trimmed clothes

Furrier Dennis Basso gave his well-heeled crowd plenty of controversial fashions to choose from. Models were dressed in fox jackets and mink coats. The designer even included a crocodile coat with lynx sleeves and alligator vests trimmed with Russian sable.
    An angry group of animal rights' campaigners rallied outside. They wore grim reaper masks and held up bloody animal pelts and a banner that read 'Furriers live on blood money.'
    "Dennis Basso is a notorious animal abuser who specializes in Broadtail, which is the fur of an unborn lamb," a spokesman from the NYC Animals Rights group said.
    Referring to the stars attending the show he said: "Many celebrities like Candace Bushell wear fur because it is given to them for free by designer who want to promote their cruelty. It's good publicity for the furrier but not for the celebrities. She should be ashamed of herself." Scroll down for more...
    Protestors from the NYC Animals Rights group made a noise outside

The protestors describe themselves as a 'group of compassionate friends with the common interest of helping animals.' They hold demonstrations around New York and also work with international organisations such as PETA.
    But Mr Basso has defended his range and said only 40 per cent would feature fur.
    "I was originally a clothing designer who happened to end up doing furs," he told Women's Wear Daily.
    "It was about designing the coat, and then finding the right fur to fit the design." Scroll down for more...
    Dennis Basso greeted celebrities including Brooke Shields to his catwalk

Designer Dennis Basso used fox and mink fur and even alligator.

However, Dennis Basso has been blamed for fuelling the growing popularity of fur among celebrities. Once seen as a fashion faux pas in Hollywood, stars such as Jennifer Lopez and Mary Kate Olsen now proudly parade their pelts. Just this week Desperate Housewife Eva Longoria was snapped wearing a Basso fur coat in New York. According to the Fur Free alliance, it takes 10 to 12 beavers, 15 to 20 foxes or 60 to 80 minks to make a fur coat. More than 45 million animals worldwide including rabbits and chinchillas are raised in cages and killed for their fur each year.

Designer provokes anti-fur fury at star studded New York fashion show | the Daily Mail

The only reason I recognize the name Dennis Basso is because he also hawks his wares on QVC:
    QVC.com

I'd like to see these assholes protesting outside a hunting club for a change, or in cattle country outside a ranch.....

If you're opposed to fur, then don't wear it. Stop trying to force your opinions on other people.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

^^^^They aren't forcing anything on anybody. They are merely making their opinions heard to hopefully influence others not to buy fur so that the industry will stop making fur items or at least decrease the demand for them. I'm sure the animals would speak for themselves if they could.

Fur is gross and a waste.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

People are aware. Just like people are aware that drugs are bad, smoking kills, you should eat right and exercise, etc.

The people that choose to wear fur, choose to wear it. These ongoing wars in the streets don't really do anything except get a photo in the paper.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    People are aware. Just like people are aware that drugs are bad, smoking kills, you should eat right and exercise, etc.

The people that choose to wear fur, choose to wear it. These ongoing wars in the streets don't really do anything except get a photo in the paper.
    Most people who oppose fur do so because of the inhumane treatment of the animals. Maybe protests and more public awareness will result in a better regulated, more humane fur industry.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Most people who oppose fur do so because of the inhumane treatment of the animals. Maybe protests and more public awareness will result in a better regulated, more humane fur industry.
    I believe they are perfectly correct to oppose fur if they choose. My point is that most of the women and men who do choose to wear fur know how it was made into a coat, but they choose it anyway. These protests don't make people into converts, and send women off to The Ritz Thrift Shop with their furs.

Just like people choose to smoke even though it's bad for you, or feed themselves shit food even though that's bad for you too.

If they really wish to make a statement, then hit them in the purse. Don't patronize the films and TV shows of actresses who wear fur. Boycott all advertisers in magazines that feature editorials or ads for fur, stop shopping in stores that have a fur department. For example: Candice Bushnell is pictured in fur here, so no one who thinks fur is wrong should see any of the Sex in the City shows or film. That would hurt.

That would garner much better results than screaming and waving bloody skinned carcasses around Bryant Park during fashion week, which I pass every day going to and from work.

If they really wish to make a statement, then hit them in the purse. Don't patronize the films and TV shows of actresses who wear fur. Boycott all advertisers in magazines that feature editorials or ads for fur, stop shopping in stores that have a fur department. For example: Candice Bushnell is pictured in fur here, so no one who thinks fur is wrong should see any of the Sex in the City shows or film. That would hurt.
    Many of us already boycott anyone and anything to do with fur, and I wouldn't doubt that the fashion protesters are doing the same.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I believe they are perfectly correct to oppose fur if they choose. My point is that most of the women and men who do choose to wear fur know how it was made into a coat, but they choose it anyway. These protests don't make people into converts, and send women off to The Ritz Thrift Shop with their furs.

Just like people choose to smoke even though it's bad for you, or feed themselves shit food even though that's bad for you too.

That would garner much better results than screaming and waving bloody skinned carcasses around Bryant Park during fashion week, which I pass every day going to and from work.
    They already do that; PETA has an entire Grrrs & Purrs section in their Animal Times newsletter giving updates on who has changed policies and who has not so if you like you may boycott those people.
    Last time I checked this is the US and we have that whole right to assembly and that other retarded thing where you can state your opinions in the public forum no less... which in turn allows you to complain about their form of complaining.
    Do you take issue with their protest because it is causing you an inconvenience?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    They already do that; PETA has an entire Grrrs & Purrs section in their Animal Times newsletter giving updates on who has changed policies and who has not so if you like you may boycott those people.
    Last time I checked this is the US and we have that whole right to assembly and that other retarded thing where you can state your opinions in the public forum no less... which in turn allows you to complain about their form of complaining.
    Do you take issue with their protest because it is causing you an inconvenience?
    No I don't take issue with the inconvenience. I grew up in NYC, it would take way more than screamers waving bloody skinned animals around to faze me.

But I do feel that just as they are entitled to their beliefs, the people who choose to wear fur are entitled to theirs without being harrassed in the streets. Fur is not illegal, and these people are not criminals .

I wear leather and eat meat, and these are my choices. I live in a world where I have the right to make these choices, without harrassment.

And remember, we have the right to "Peaceful Assembly". Throwing bloody animal carcasses on Anna Wintour's lunch table, throwing red paint on people's private property, and breaking store windows is not peaceful.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Law enforcement handles those disturbances. They aren't throwing carcasses at you and they didn't try to literally shove one down Anna Wintour''s throat so it's all good. So you just keep on walking to work each day and don't worry about it... unless you're the person who has to clean all those coats; that's a different story... capitalism!

Gold Member

great costume in the third pic down, guy on the left

No I don't take issue with the inconvenience. I grew up in NYC, it would take way more than screamers waving bloody skinned animals around to faze me.

But I do feel that just as they are entitled to their beliefs, the people who choose to wear fur are entitled to theirs without being harrassed in the streets. Fur is not illegal, and these people are not criminals .

I wear leather and eat meat, and these are my choices. I live in a world where I have the right to make these choices, without harrassment.

And remember, we have the right to "Peaceful Assembly". Throwing bloody animal carcasses on Anna Wintour's lunch table, throwing red paint on people's private property, and breaking store windows is not peaceful.
    That's what always gets me. Doing that shit isn't peaceful and when one of them gets their ass whipped by some country girl for fucking up their fur, maybe they will learn to respect people as they do animals.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^ I feel sorry for the one who decides to mess with my mom or aunts.....that'll be one sorry animal activist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information