Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Over-priced crap

Default Over-priced crap

Can someone explain this to me??

This is a trend that just did not exist when I was a teen. (like late 80s)

More and more I'm seeing really overpriced stuff on the net and in retail in general. It seems more mainstream.

Primp (hoodies can be around 200)

Ed Hardy (200 dollar t shirts)

Raw seven (hoodies for 400 bucks??)

Juicy (90+ dollar hoodies)

Stuff of that nature. There's this weird trend where "designers" take casual wear and somehow elevate it to the level of luxury, even though its made out of the same stuff as everything else.

So how dumb are people that they're paying these kinds of prices??

And the same goes for jewelry. Target sells a plastic cameo necklace for 50 bucks. Yes, its a great design, but hell no am I paying 50 bucks for plastic!

I understand that there's the element of "paying for the design" and thats fine. But there's a limit!

I couldn't agree more. The final straw for me was seeing all these $200 and up boots made out of pleather! Jebus. For that price, I expect fine leather, not some cheap man-made crap.

Right! This is how it was "when I was a kid". There's just no way we would've paid hundreds of bucks for pleather!! or all this fake jewelry thats hundreds of bucks with no real gold or silver!

I think the JUICY brand is a big offender of this: I see all these charm necklaces that are essentially junk, and hundreds of bucks.

^ Yes, I HATE this trend! Call it "low-end designer" or "high-end cheap stuff" or whatever, it's bullshit! I'll go designer for bags, shoes, maybe a coat, and the occasional dress and accessories. I'll go cheap for tank tops, tees, uber-trendy things, stuff to wear under other stuff. This in-between I take issue with, I suspect it's truly all about having something expensive just because it's expensive, not because it's actually worth the money.

These brands cater really heavily to the youth market too, which I'm sure their parents just love. Admittedly, when I was young I did love having the occasional "name brand" item, but to my friends and I that meant Levi's jeans or Club Monaco sweaters for fifty bucks, as opposed to stuff from Zellers, not $400 hoodies. I fear that a generation of kids is being bred to be simultaneiously trashy and snobby, LOL!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I hate that LuLuLemon crap.. it's stupid spandex garbage for retard yuppies who'll shell out 200 bucks for a pair of TIGHTS because they're apparently "made" for Yoga.

Shut the FUCK up. I personally know someone who went and bought this junk just because he's a fucking princess and HAS to have the latest, most expensive gear for whatever he does just to look cool or whatever. Stupid princess reject.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

a lot of it happens because the idiot celebs (Brit) wear it and then everyone HAS to have it.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I own stuff by Raw 7; I think their design and material is fing awesome. In regard to RAW all of the design on their garments is woven and cashmere and it is some pretty awesome artwork. I look at the few items I have by them to be pieces of artwork. I also own a couple tshirts by grail but once again the artwork on them is very original. I agree that this is a disturbing trend and it does piss me off. I was nordstroms and I noticed that they had started carrying some Grail items but they were the ugliest thing and they of course were the ones that said grail all over them... I hate this crap; I especially hate Juicy Couture (there should be a law against using the name couture in your brand if your main item is putting the word juicy across over privileged and spoiled asses).

ooooh I have a couple of pairs of juicy pants (yeah, I didn't pay anything like full price for them, either) because I have an inside leg of 34" and I don't know of anyone else (that is readily available over here) that does that.
    i have a cashmere pair & 2 x towelling ones.

As for the rest... pfft! I'm too old/mean/fat/jealous (* delete as applicable) to buy it.

Stella McCartney's footwear & bags aren't leather due to her animal rights/ vegetarianism.... and I think it's a growing trend.
    Free Charmed.

The less leather thing is a growing trend, and thats fine with me. But they still charge "leather" prices.

And when did shoes get to be 300 dollars a pair? Even not high end designers like Steve Madden or Guess have shoes that are several hundred bucks?

I posted a story somewhere on here a few months ago about the explosion of the "luxury" market and how skilfully that's been achieved. Where I live, teenagers have REAL Prada, LV, Marc Jacob, Chloe bags, clothes, etc. It's all so stupid. I have a couple of LV bags and a Chanel, but they are all gorgeous vintage for a lot less than retail. And I even blanched at forking that out!

I know that some designers use pleather for different reasons, but from what someone in the shoe biz told me, it's also a way for a lot of companies/designers to maximize their profits. I have one pair of pleather boots, but they were in the $60 range, which is about right, IMO.

I don't mind shelling out the $$$ for things that I'll use forever--a classic trench coat, nice black boots, luggage, etc. But I shop Target and H&M for everything else. Even if I could afford $900 T-shirts, I could never bring myself to do it.

The so-called high-end items that I'm supposed to really, really want and will just die if I don't get? 99% of it is fugly!

The golden rule I was taught was that you buy a few classic wardrobe pieces such as a good purse, always buy good shoes (unless they are uber trendy), good coats, a few good clothes such as the essential LBD, suitk, skirt, cashmere or silk tops/blouses and then you accessorize and buy inexpensively for everything else.

^^^ and make sure that a) you circulate your shoes & woolens & b) that they are always well heeled & clean. Gosh I was brought up well/poor/thrifty!
    Free Charmed.

The only really expensive "must-have" clothing items from my teen years were Guess Jeans and Swatch watches. Everything else was really affordable for most people. Even Espirit stuff was pretty affordable and that was considered pretty high-end.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Elite Member

Does anyone remember Gasoline jeans? They were like $50, which was a fortune back then. They had the little folddown pocket on the leg that showed a different fabric. I had a job by then so I was buying my own clothes but I was too cheap to buy the Gasoline jeans.

The Limited was real popular back then...that was before they became Limited Express and then split off into two separate stores, Limited and Express. That was "the" place to buy clothes when I was in H.S.

Yeah, I remember Swatch watches, but I never had one. I had a real cute Esprit top and matching miniskirt though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information