Thread: Borrow/rent a high-end accessory

Default Borrow/rent a high-end accessory

A friend just told me about this site:

Bag Borrow or Steal™ - Borrow or Rent the Latest Authentic Designer Handbags Purses Jewelry and Accessories

Bag, Borrow or Steal lets you rent a couture purse, belt, jewelry, etc. by the week or more. There's $5 for membership, and then you pay for your selection for however long you want to keep it, with the option to make an offer to buy a "gently used" item if the site is willing to sell it to you.

My friend has events coming up, has a budget, and has a taste for lux design. One of the bags she would love to have costs $1,700, which she isn't going to buy (hopefully one day!), so instead this gives her the option to rent it for a week.

I'm fascinated by the idea.

Anyone tried it?

This seems like a bad idea, cause whats the first thing your friends say when they see you with a new bag? "ooh where'd you get it??" then you have to admit its not yours! "I'm renting it" just doesn't sound too glamorous!

i think this is good for the type of girl that has to be seen with the latest 'it' bag and doesn't mind getting rid of them after a while.
    me, i'm a total bag whore and i just love the smell and feel of a beautifully made leather bag. but i love owning them. and i don't go after 'it' bags, i choose bags that i love and i know i will wear for years and those are the ones i invest in. so i don't own that many designer bags but i love every single one and use it often.
    but their prices seem a bit steep
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think this is good for the type of girl that has to be seen with the latest 'it' bag and doesn't mind getting rid of them after a while.
    This describes my friend - she would want the it bag for a certain event and then change her preferences.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Stupidest fucking thing ever; the whole point is to "look" like it's your's right? FAKE FAKE FAKE... I hate this shit. Same people who buy fakes on Harwin; why????? Why is it so important to have a certain thing; what tells a person they must have this?

In my friend's case, being a style junkie, a fickle one at that, and having exactly what she wants for outing. I'm wondering how much wear actually gets on these bags and their appearance by the time they get to a certain user. I don't think there are guarantees along those lines.

I'm halfway expecting something along these lines for designer shoes LOL.

Someone mentioned that it's pretty expensive considering how short the time is to have it. I couldn't afford the rentals there.

Incidentally, I just saw this website advertised on a few sites, including MySpace. Seems to be getting big play. To some extent, I think it's part of a bigger trend of seeing stuff with high price tags as "required" in one's wardrobe (overpriced crap thread nails some points there); for other folks who are design addicts for certain labels, it's fascinating that things like this are popping up to create access.

I think it's ideal for people that love nice things but can't afford to buy them.

Good Lord, $2400 a month to rent a hangbag?

It seems really pathetic to me to rent a handbag just to impress people, which I'm assuming is the point here.

And geez, I didn't know Hello Kitty was the stuff of high fashion. Why would they even make a Hello Kitty necklace so expensive that they charge $350 a month to rent it?

If I like anything that much, I'd rather save up the money to buy it for myself and keep it.

One of the vintage is Hermes bags is something like $1600 a week or $4800 a month to rent. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    One of the vintage is Hermes bags is something like $1600 a week or $4800 a month to rent. Ridiculous.
    what the hell?? wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy the bag?

^^^
    you can buy vintage hermès for about those prices (sometimes even less). i could maybe understand if they were renting new ones (a birkin starts at 7000$) but those prices for vintage? ridiculous.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    And geez, I didn't know Hello Kitty was the stuff of high fashion.
    Thank you for saying this. I thought I was the only one not in the know about the designer (couture?) aspect of HK. I certainly have enough friends who are fans of it, though not of the four-figure HK variety.

This seems kind of whacky. I understand wanting nice things but for the price of renting a few times you could own one of the handbags.

I would far rather own one nice one than rent a gazillion different ones.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    me, i'm a total bag whore and i just love the smell and feel of a beautifully made leather bag. but i love owning them. and i don't go after 'it' bags, i choose bags that i love and i know i will wear for years and those are the ones i invest in. so i don't own that many designer bags but i love every single one and use it often.
    but their prices seem a bit steep
    I'm another purse/shoe freak. I buy vintage whenever possible. You get better made bags, often in nicer colours that aren't available any more. But you don't get the "latest" style. I go for the classics anyway, so it works for me.

I've found some great online sites that sell authentic vintage for fair prices.

Thread Information