Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need fashion advice!

Default I need fashion advice!

My husband and I are disagreeing on this one, so I want your opinion

Should I wear this as a dress or a top to my husband's super swank company party?

And after my shoe dilemma in the other thread a month ago, I thought some of you might be pleased to know I found myself some affordable pumps WITHOUT s-i-l afterall

Now, of course I would wear it with stalkings, and my hair is not in need of a cut and dye job as it was in that photo. The thing is, hubby thinks I should wear it with capri slacks, like I do when I wear it on a normal date,
    But I think I should just wear it as a dress with some nude stalkings and the dress. So would I look classy, or trashy?
    Last edited by WhateverLolaWants; December 10th, 2007 at 07:37 PM.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I personally think it's a little short to wear on its own to a swanky office party. It's a cute dress, it just might get you a little close to pulling a Britney

^I agree, the dress is cute but a bit too short for the event.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Are you in danger of flashing your ass to all when you sit down? It seems to cover all your bits from the front, and especially seeing as how you'd be wearing it with stockings, it seems okay, not trashy.

Now, is your husband's company conservative? Or maybe all the other wives and women there are known for dressing conservative and would consider showing some leg "racy" and inappropriate? Maybe that's what he's worried about, you not fitting in with overly prudish pearl-clutchers or something. But the outfit itself is not trashy looking and would look very nice with those pumps+stockings.

With an office party, always go way more conservative than you think you should.

The dress is cute, but maybe a shade short for an office party, plus it's the hubby's party, he knows them best, and he's pro pants. Err on the side of caution and wear pants under it.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Ah, its good that you told me. I was going to go sans pants, but I was looking at Britters thinking, "How can she not KNOW" and then I thought, "Crap...I probably should ask if I'm going to be that girl"
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Yes, Lola, do the bend over/sitting down/raise your arms test and have your husband watch! Cover your ass!

I agree that it's too short for a swanky company party. What about a knee-length or over-the-knee dress that's very simple but elegant? That screams class, whereas the dress you showed us is a more playful, cocktail-party kind of outfit. I don't think capris, no matter how nice, are appropriate for a swanky party. I used to have a velvet pair way back when but I say go for a simple dress, or a longish skirt with a glittery top, or gorgeous blouse. Love the shoes, by the way.

Oh dear He's been working at this company for four years and I'm afraid I have exhausted my dressy clothes at the previos years' company parties. Do you suppose I could wear some black flare slacks with it?

They have it at a five star hotel downtown every year, in a ballroom with sit down five course dinner, champagne, etc. I have a vogue pattern I could try to make by Friday, but I hate to work in a rush on something so complicated At worst I suppose I could repeat
    Do it anyway

Damn. I guess that means I'll have to wear something different for mine too! Anyone in VanCity a size 8? I already blew my dress budget for a cocktail party...
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

For frame of reference, this is the dress I wore last year

I just remembered I have this dress. Its not terribly dressy, but it is vintage (Thus expensive, lol) Would it be more appropriate than the brown top and slacks?
    Do it anyway

I do NOT think you should wear slacks of any kind. The vintage dress is nice, but I would glam it up with some red nail polish and lipstick and a nice shawl, sweater or something. Something with beads or sequins would work, or a black bolero sweater with a nice pin. I have just the thing for you -- too bad you are so far away!

I love the brown dress-wear over pants with those shoes (love them-cute enough to eat with a spoon!) The vintage dress is such a knock out ,it will not be forgotten. Go with the new this year! NONO! NOT CAPRIS!!! Slacks.

But PB-they are showing short dress over slacks this year on TV! I like it!
    Do like the idea of a shrug or glam sweater. Hair-loose & swingy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^The vintage dress is more summery, IMO. Poor Lola -- I think we're confusing you!

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    ^^The vintage dress is more summery, IMO. Poor Lola -- I think we're confusing you!
    There is a fine line between dress up & summery, I agree, Still think over pants would do.

PS-am now leaning to agree with PB. Listen to hubby-he knows these people better.
    Tell you what-put on a pot of coffee & we'll be right over to look through your closet!

Not the floral one. This year at the after Christmas sales, go get a new for next years!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information