Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New trend of trashing your wedding dress

Default New trend of trashing your wedding dress

From GMA:
    "Boxing up the wedding gown for posterity is so passe. In a departure from tradition, some brides are celebrating the end of their wedding (and the stress associated with it) by mutilating and trashing their dresses after the ceremony."

ABC News: Trash the Dress: Brides Get Down and Dirty

Then why spend thousands of dollars on a dress at all?? No one is forced to buy/wear a traditional wedding dress.

I got mine for $40 at Goodwill. It was gorgeous! Somebody had spent a fortune on it! Later I cut it down, dyed it and made it into a princess dress for my daughter for Halloween/dress up. It got lots of use. Burning something just seems like such a waste.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

My first one is still sitting the closet at my mom's. She wants to give it to my daughter. My 2nd one I just recently gave away to good will.

well mine is still sitting in a box awaiting me to wear the damn thing lol but it will be put aside for my girls if they wish to wear it. i don't see the sense in burning it that's a wee bit out there imo
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

They really should save the wedding dress trashing for after the divorce, it'll be more satisfying.

that's what i was thinkiing lol
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Out of a world of bad ideas, this is the worst. Ever. Idiots.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Both my sisters got married this year. The middle sister had a larger than life Catholic wedding with all the bells and whistles. It was very stressful for everyone involved, not just the bride. She whined constantly about how stressful, expensive, not quite perfect etc. everything was. For months we were all miserable dealing with this whole wedding and how consuming it had become. By the time they got married, everyone was tired, stressed and needed a break from them. She needed everything to be the "fairytale wedding" from the Bride's Magazine. It was showy to make a statement, not because it made her happy. My youngest sister, on the other hand, decided to have a tiny ceremony and remodel their home instead of spending the money on a big, showy wedding. It was perfect for my youngest sister, because she is someone who does not put on a show for anyone. She does what makes her happy. My youngest sister was the happier of the two during the months leading up to, during, and even after her wedding. My point (sorry for the long babbling story to get to the actual point) is that these women don't have to make themselves miserable and stressed over something that should be one of the most beautiful, happy time of their lives. When my husband and I were planning our wedding, it began to seem impossible to please everyone, so we scrapped all the big fancy plans and took off to Vegas. We had a blast, and it was all about us, not making everyone happy with a huge, expensive wedding.

I would never trash my wedding dress, it was beautiful and it represents the happiest day of my life! My wedding was fairly small and not very stressful, so i wouldn't know about that. I decided on wearing a green dress instead of traditional white, and I still think it's the nicest thing I've ever owned or worn.

What a stupid idea..
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    They really should save the wedding dress trashing for after the divorce, it'll be more satisfying.

LOL!

I can't remember what I did with my first. It was very simple and not at all expensive. I think it went to a charity shop in the end.

My second one is in a cupboard somewhere. It was also very simple and very inexpensive.

I'm just too mean to spend megabucks on a wedding dress!

f**k that.

i want to have mine cleaned and then frame it and put it in my walk in closet as a piece of art.

Gold Member

What a waste. I would have thought if you spent all of that money you would keep it for your daughter and granddaughter to wear.

LisaLucy69 your little sister sounds adorable and down to earth. I adore her and wish she was my little sister.

We had a simple wedding with about 50 people and went to a lovely Italian restaurant that wasn't expensive. I organized it so people could order from a choice of 4 dishes for entree, mains and dessert. People to this day tell me that it was the best wedding food they have ever eaten.

It was $20 per head which included garlic breads, salads and nibbles before the groom and bride arrived. It also included unlimited wine, beer and soft drinks.

I spent $50 hiring my dress, which included it getting altered 1 week before the wedding.

A friend of mine had an expensive wedding and said if she had her time again she would just have a back yard barbecue and use the money for her mortgage.

I would never trash my wedding dress either. I spent about $800 on it and even though it was more than I planned on spending, it was perfect. It was beautiful and represented the happiest day of my life too. I didn't go to the trouble of having it boxed and preserved, but my mom is safekeeping it for me at her house. I can't imagine ever trashing it, even in the event of a divorce.

I originally wanted a very simple nice wedding like yours, Anne2007. I wanted it to be catered by Sonny's, a scrumptious BBQ restaurant chain in the south. It's cheap and delicious, and my husband and I loved going there the whole time we'd been together, it was fraught with good memories. But the reception place I picked didn't allow outside catering so I was stuck with a more frou-frou chicken/beef/seafood fare. Uppity bitches at the reception place!!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

thats an awesome pic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information