Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to wear the trends

Default How to wear the trends

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Hey Calimoonchild, since you are in the fashion industry, would you be willing to start a thread in the Fashion/Beauty forum on the spring 2007 trends and how regular people can wear fashion without looking ridiculous?

I have a ton of questions I'd love to ask about how to wear current fashion.
    So, here it is. What questions do you have? Later tonight, I'll post some trends and such.

What can you possibly do with a high waist? I have long legs but my hips begin where my ribcage ends. What's coming up in Spring that won't look stupid on me since I can't do belts.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

Elite Member

Great Cali! First question...are those awful high waisted pants really coming back? What's to keep them from looking like Mom Jeans? I saw a pair on Kate Moss and I was not impressed. However, a recent pic of Kate Moss showed her in low rise skinnies, so maybe the high rise didn't catch on?

Second question...I'm 37. I assume I am too old to wear leggings in any way, shape or form?

Third question...are those fat white belts with a million holepunches in them finally out? I still see people wearing them around here (NC) but we are behind, so...

I've got plenty more...I'll post them as I think of them. Thanks!

Anything coming in style that won't look ridiculously stupid on a plus size body? I'm sick to death of leggings and skinny jeans since I know I'll look horrible if I even attempt them.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

skinny jeans look horrible on me, too. I'm short and have short legs...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Yeah, I'm a size 16 petite now. Skinny anything doesn't look good on a stubby plus size body

skinny jeans were the worst idea ever, most unflattering fashion trend since the catsuit.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

^^Agreed. They flatter almost no one. I am very short-waisted and I live in terror of high-waisted jeans/pants coming back in style. Hipster pants that start just below, or just above the navel were the best thing that happened in fashion in years. I'm stocking up in case they go out of style, which is what one high-end shop owner told me.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dean James View Post
    skinny jeans were the worst idea ever, most unflattering fashion trend since the catsuit.
    They make your legs look like Gumby's. Even if you are skinny

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    ^^Agreed. They flatter almost no one. I am very short-waisted and I live in terror of high-waisted jeans/pants coming back into style. Hipster pants that start just below, or just above the navel were the best thing that happened to fashion in years. I'm stocking up in case they go out of style, which is what one high-end shop owner told me.

We should combine our high and low waists into one gloriously proportionate super-waist. Skinny jeans, catsuits, corsets, and belts- here we come.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; January 18th, 2007 at 01:44 AM.

Oh, if it were only possible to do that!

Hey guys! I'm gonna catch up and answer all questions in a bit! Later on today!

NoDayButToday
    Anything coming in style that won't look ridiculously stupid on a plus size body? I'm sick to death of leggings and skinny jeans since I know I'll look horrible if I even attempt them.

Slouchy pajama-style pants are coming back. Also cropped and full-length wide leg trousers. Many designers showed a super-wide leg look for the Spring. They usually had a tailored, normal waist. These are extremely flattering, and you can wear it with a fitted and tailored top.

Keira Knightly wears this look well. For a normal person, I'd go with a slightly less wide-leg pant. But she's got the right idea with the fitted & tailored top:

Also, this is a stylish way to work with the slimmer pant that would work on almost any body type. For Spring there is a definite Arabic / North African influence coming up. I love these looks from Ralph Lauren:

The thing with leggings is that they are most flattering when: they cover the whole calf and just show the slimmer section of the leg, from where the calf ends, to the ankle. Lengthen the leg with heels/platforms.

Below is an easy, flattering and comfortable look to pull together for Spring (from Marni). With a bit longer leggings. The key is to have a loose but fitted and tailored dress, over fitted leggings and tank top. And a wide, simple belt to add shape to the whole look:

Another favorite trick of my trade to appear slimmer: always buy dresses, pants, shirts, etc. in a heavier fabric.
    The trend of making jersey pants and dresses is THE most unflattering trend around, IMO. Thinner fabrics put all your "wobbly bits" on show. And a heavier fabric conceals all the jiggling and shaking that we all want to hide. This also is a good tip for jeans. Buy a heavier denim.

On the skinny jean/pant issue:
    I really think that they are over and out, at least in the US. It just isn't a wearable trend here. It will continue in Europe and Asia and on the fashion runways, but it really isn't being picked up in the US, outside of the fashion/Hollywood sections of society.

One flattering way to still look fashion-foward without going to a full skinny jean is this: buy a straight-leg jean with a longer inseam than you wear by about 2 inches, in a simple, dark wash (ie, no fading or distressing or rips or embellishment). Also make sure they have a bit of stretch to them: 2-3% Lycra. Wear it with platforms or heels. This will visually add length to your leg, and will also look very current and timeless because of the straight-leg sillhouette.
    These 7 For All Mankind Collete Stretch jeans are exactly what I'm describing.

I do this all the time; its my favorite trick. I'm 5'6 and a Britney Spears-type of body: lots of hips, muscular legs and curves. Skinny jeans do not work for me either.

Also hot for Spring/Summer: shirtdresses
    These are super-flattering because they create a shape toyour figure, cover all the areas you might be concerned with, and also draw attention to the slimmer parts of your body: neck/decollette, forearms, calves. Be sure to buy one made in a heavier fabric, and preferrably lined.
    These are good examples of beautiful shirtdresses for spring/summer:

Banana Republic makes a beautiful, lined shirtdress:

So does The Gap:

Also, the big colors for Spring/summer are going to be whites & creams, yellow, and bright pink.

I'll answer specific questions in the next entry.

Last edited by Cali; January 19th, 2007 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks Calimoonchild!

Plus-Sized fashion resources:
    - A GREAT book that you all should get, that addresses plus-sized fashion issues. Its by Bradley Bayou, entitled Science of Sexy. Bayou used to design for Halston and he's done beautiful work for Queen Latifah and Chandra Wilson.

He breaks down body types in 48 different forms, and women in full/plus is not neglected. He does short, average and tall plus body types and gives "celebrity body doubles." These include Camryn Manheim, Roseanne Barr (who usually looks horrible), Emme, Mo'Nique, Trisha Yearwood, as well as people who I hadn't heard of, such as Jill Ragee.

- An EXCELLENT plus-sized fashion blog/website (dont be offended by the name; I know the creater of the blog from another forum):

http://toofatforfashion.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information