Thread: Fashion and trend predictions for 2007

Default Fashion and trend predictions for 2007

If you like planning ahead with your wardrobe, it's useful to know where the next year is headed in terms of fashion and trends! We asked three fashion industry insiders - designers Christopher McCallum and JY Lee, and the brains behind Hidden Secrets Tours Fiona Sweetman - for their predictions on what 2007 will hold.

Christopher McCallum from Vein Wear Shoes

As a designer of men's shoes, Christopher McCallum has the freedom to be innovative and influential, more often starting trends than following them. He gave us the low-down on where he'll be taking men's footwear in 2007.

"I don't always entertain trends... What I can tell you is what I will be releasing in Vein Wear's 2007 Winter and Summer collections.

In Winter 07 I'm bringing through flora-embossed leathers in both ankle boots and loafers for a sophisticated organic look. Entertaining on the weekends can be done in a pair of deconstructed luxury in/outdoor slippers made in aqua or burnt orange leather. And peaceful troops can trudge around the urban jungle in canvas long boots available in khaki, brown and black.

Coming later in Summer 07/8 you'll see patent calf leather creeping into the collection for slick punks. The focus will definitely be on broguing, slightly unorthodox and even finding its way onto slides. Incorporated in the brogues will also be a lot of layering to form a collage of textures, materials and colours."

JY Lee from JY Jewels

Classic pieces may be her forte, but JY Lee has an instinct for trendspotting and never has the latest trends far from her mind. She gave us her list of fashion predictions for this year.

* Grey, grey, grey!
    * Statement, striking, coloured jewellery. E.g. big rings, cuffs
    * Loose smock-like dresses in cream, grey and black
    * Bright accessories in general e.g. bright scarves
    * Purples, reds
    * Chunky heels
    * Ivory, grey, dark red stockings; knee high socks in black, navy, cream and lilac.

Fiona Sweetman from Hidden Secrets Tours

Fiona Sweetman knows the ins-and-outs of Melbourne far better than most - with her Hidden Secrets Tours opening many an eye to the designer talents which hide within our alley-ways and arcades. We asked Fiona what will emerge in 2007.

"In a city where self employment in design, and definitely the fashion design sector, is having a boom, it is sure to be a growth year for those who are anything but shy about selling their ideas and walk fine the line between art and fashion. Siblings Alex and Georgie Cleary (Alpha60) are surely just at the tip of their mastery, with new printing techniques and wonderful tailoring starting to emerge in their ranges. Jersey both for them, and designers like Do it Baby (selling in Design a Space) chapel street will continue to be affordable and a pliable option for the individual print!

Accessories in Melbourne are still emerging at both spectrums of the budget. Where the likes of Little Salon, and Corky St Clair have a penchant for humourous Perspex pieces are evenly matched by the quick wit, and passionate design of Julia de Ville, or Camilla Gogh found at Egetal, and then there's wonderful Mari Funaki, of gallery Funaki. I think accessories for men will continue to find strength, with stores like Metal Couture of Gertrude street, and the eclectic pieces in Fat.

As for us girls, its about tailored comfort, with a few splashes of colour, we all know the sea-faring-bubble-blowing-canary invasion (read nautical, bubble skirt yellow) they will not date as quickly as we feared, but softer tones of yellow, and charcoals, along with what I call a stainless silver (ie a muted sparkle) will still be around to spark up last seasons favourites. Scarves, belts and a signature bag, will continue the welcome return of dresses of every length! I however, will continue on my now fetish for quirky unusual brooches, that people with more patience than I put all of their love and attention into."

http://www.rogueconnect.com/lifestyl...2007&entry=190

YAY, it's 1989.

Again.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Great - everything I hate

* Grey, grey, grey!
    * Statement, striking, coloured jewellery. E.g. big rings, cuffs
    * Loose smock-like dresses in cream, grey and black
    * Bright accessories in general e.g. bright scarves
    * Purples, reds
    * Chunky heels
    * Ivory, grey, dark red stockings; knee high socks in black, navy, cream and lilac.

Fashion is so bad, i cant see it getting any worse and then ...... grey and dark red stockings! Oh the horror.

I agree. There's no point in buying many clothes when the fashions are so hideous.

I hate all the trends out right now. Leggings and skinny jeans being the most hated. I can't wait for those to go away. The only trend I really like is platform heels, like this :
    None of those ugly ass chunky heeled things.

Elite Member

i never go with trends, i just wear what i like at all times..

Hit By Ban Bus!

Me too.

I never follow trends. I am relatively thin, but skinny jeans/leggings make me look enormous.
    However, I LOVE grey. This excites me...more grey in stores
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

Elite Member

I do love grey also but Frankensteinish chunky heels make me gag.

SVZ

Black and white patterns are supposed to be very hot this season. I've seen some stuff and I must say it looks realllyyyy nice

Thread Information