Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who buys second hand/vintage?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Who buys second hand/vintage?

I love trawling the second hand shops and finding cool, unique stuff. I just found a great pair of tuxedo pants that were old but new, meaning they hadn't even been hemmed, sized, nothing. Love love love them. Also found a great old lady shirt dress from the 50's in this great old fashioned print. Very cool. I get so bored with the usual crap that seems to be in every store so have turned more and more to vintage. Anyone else?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I just can't do it. My sister loves second hand stores and I have gone with her to them, but I can not find it in me to buy someone else's used clothes. Maybe its a phobia of some sort but I can't stand knowing those clothes have been worn by other people *shudder*.

I know of someone who buys "vintage" bathing suits, too - you could imagine my horror at first hearing that one...

I do it all the time, although not so much lately because I am busy. At one point, my friends were considering an intervention! I also shop at consignment stores, but there's nothing like the thrill of finding a great deal at a thrift shop.

I wash or dry clean everything I buy, but I have often found items that still had the tags on them meaning they had never been worn. I have found designer bags -- Prada and Gucci -- shoes, and some incredible clothes, all for a fraction of what they normally cost.

My sister shops at thrift stores all the time and so does my aunt. I'd do it more often if I wore a smaller size. Unfortunately every plus size in thrift stores is of the stretch pants and or gigantic polyester square variety. My sister's gotten some great deals though. She found a formal dress and matching wrap from the 50's when she was looking for a prom dress. She only spent $4 on her prom dress that year!

I used to shop thrift/vintage stores, as well as frequent flea markets and yard/estate sales, mostly for old jewelry, but anymore, the prices are jacked up, and it's not worth it.
    When I was younger, I lived in "Goodwill" clothes, beaded sweaters, vintage dresses, and pointy-toed pumps.
    I also purchased my son plenty of clothes when he was younger, (he won't hear of it at 11....) often finding Gap, Polo, Old Navy, etc.

My employees are always finding handbags, from Chanel to Coach.

A*O

Clothes, yes, if you can find the right size, vintage women were TINY!
    Shoes, NEVER! [shudder]
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Me! I do! Ebay and Ruby Lane!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Clothes, yes, if you can find the right size, vintage women were TINY!
    Shoes, NEVER! [shudder]
    I've found shoes that have never been worn, or worn only once or twice. I don't think my feet are so delicate that they cannot bear to be in shoes that gasp, another person, has walked in. It's a personal thing, but frankly, I just bought a pair of gorgeous Italian leather boots at a consignment store for $45. The soles weren't even scuffed. I Googled them and they retail for more than $300 at one of the best shoe stores in town so I figure I got a fabulous deal.

When i used to go shopping in 2nd hand stores, I went for sweaters, jackets and purses (never an article close to skin like pants, shoes or tops). I must have found approx. 5 cool vintage, leather jackets. Still to date, my greatest find is my winter jacket. It's LONG (past down my knees, thick 100% virgin wool and a real fur collar. I always get compliments, have worn it for the past, like 7 winters, and for only $20 CAD......
    Go Habs Go!!

I'm really surprised to hear that some people won't buy tops, pants or shoes second hand if they are in excellent condition. I've never heard of that before.

I certainly wouldn't buy anything that smelled, looked worn, stained or torn, and I've found some fantastic stuff. If everything is washed or dry cleaned before it's worn, I don't understand the problem. In more than 30 years of buying second-hand stuff, I've never had any skin problems or any other kind of health issues because of wearing gently used clothes. Hell, it's no different than borrowing clothes from a friend if you think about it. I've even bought "second-hand" underwear that had the tags on and thought nothing of it.

I mean, it's not like you know everybody who's tried something on before you in a new clothing store either!

I used to hit the thrift shops all the time when I was younger, and would like to start doing it again. (It was easy when I was into *grunge*, hehe.) I have a Goodwill right next door to me actually, and there are some terrific vintage shops downtown.

PB, do you find that you have to shop in higher-end neighbourhoods to find the designer duds?

A*O

Oh I don't know - I just don't like to wear someone else's shoes and I don't like lending them for the same reason so don't ask.

In my local thrift shop in the UK we used to get the most amazing couture stuff from a local toff's wife who would buy outfits, wear them once and then throw them out. The bags and other accesssories were great (although I think the staff picked out the best stuff before it even went on display). Unfortunately Lady M was extremely petite, a UK size 8 which is a US size 4? and her feet were equally tiny, like a child's, so only a very few lucky women got to acquire her cast off Chanel suits.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I used to hit the thrift shops all the time when I was younger, and would like to start doing it again. (It was easy when I was into *grunge*, hehe.) I have a Goodwill right next door to me actually, and there are some terrific vintage shops downtown.

PB, do you find that you have to shop in higher-end neighbourhoods to find the designer duds?
    It helps, but I've found good stuff everywhere. I just don't have time to look that much any more and you have to go a lot to get the best stuff. There are some wealthy suburbs around Van. that aren't as picked over as the city stores, but you wouldn't believe the number of rich people who shop at thrift and consignment stores now. *sigh* Makes it hard on us poor folk!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh I don't know - I just don't like to wear someone else's shoes and I don't like lending them for the same reason so don't ask.
    We all have our pecadilloes.

i looove thrift shopping particularly for jewelery. i've gotten some of the greatest pieces and people always ask where i've gotten them. i have a really cool black and white beaded necklace that i wear with everything as well as an absolutely beautiful brooch that also gets oohs and aahs every time i bring it out. you can't buy things like that anywhere else.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never had that much luck with consignment and thrift sotres. When I was in high school, I wore a lot of vintage dresses, but they were bought from the Attic, which is pretty expensive for vintage. I have yet to find a reasonably priced consignment boutique. The last one I went to was trying to sell nasty pastel Escada suits from the 80s for $400.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information