Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 1 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By Tati
  • 2 Post By witchcurlgirl

Thread: The Case for Expensive Clothes

Default The Case for Expensive Clothes

The Case for Expensive Clothes

Spending significant money on each piece of clothing means seeing a purchase as an investment, not a cheap (and exploitative) thrill.

Giada Fiorindi / Quartz

• Marc Bain
    • 12:00 PM ET

If youíve ever found yourself buying clothes just because theyíre cheap, or if shopping itself has become a form of entertainment for you, Iíve got a proposal: The next time you buy something, spend a whole lot on it. Enough that it makes you sweat a little.
    The point is to make you pause and ask yourself, ďHow much do I really want this?Ē
    More From Quartz

In the U.S. and much of the industrialized world, cheap clothes are everywhere. At any fast-fashion chain store, youíll find piles upon piles of jeans that cost less than $20. The problem is, all that low-cost clothing is produced, sold, and finally discarded in mass quantities, which has serious consequences for the environment, the workers paid poorly to make them, and even the mental well-being of the people buying them.

As a fashion reporter, I like clothes probably more than most. But I also know all the troubling facts represented by those cheap t-shirts and jeans. For more than a year now, Iíve set myself a simple goal for every clothing purchase. Itís an entirely personal choice that I feel helps me buy less and enjoy my purchases more. My hope is that it also reduces how much I contribute to some of those issues mentioned above.

The goal is to spend at least $150 on each item of clothing. And I propose you give it a try.

The immediate reaction I get when I tell people about this goalóand I call it a goal because I donít always live up to itóis that $150 is a lot to spend for a piece of clothing.

Thatís especially true if your standard for pricing is a store like Primark, the insanely cheap Irish fast-fashion chain that recently opened its first U.S. location. For designer fashion, where a t-shirt can easily clear $150, itís actually a pretty low hurdle.

But itís enough that it causes me to seriously hesitate, which is the real point. It forces me to think about just how much I want that item of clothing, how much Iíll wear it, and whether I think the value it offers is worth a significant cost.

Importantly, $150 is also enough that I canít make these purchases all the time, at least not without sacrificing elsewhere or going broke. Itís an investment, rather than the cheap buzz of getting something new.

Now, not everyone should have the same dollar limit. Each person should determine a standard based on income and other financial responsibilities. But it should be just enough that it causes you to wince slightly. My limitóas a married, childless, working journalist, saving up to one day buy an apartmentómight fall somewhere between that of a single parent on an hourly wage and that of a high roller like author Buzz Bissinger, who wrote of his addiction to Gucci in GQ. (If youíre shopping like Bissinger, though, setting a dollar floor isnít going to solve anything.)
    But the process for all of us, whether weíre shopping at Forever 21 or Prada, is psychologically similar. Researchers have found that the insulaóthe part of the brain that registers painóplays a role in purchase decisions. Our brain weighs the pleasure of acquiring against the pain of paying. As clothing prices decline, that pain does too, making shopping easy entertainment, disconnecting it from our actual clothing needs. Itís something I think of whenever I stumble on the haul videos that have blown up on YouTube in the last few years.

To restore that balance, the price of the clothing we consider purchasing should be high enough that it ďhurtsĒ at least a littleóand for me, around $150 fulfills that requirement.

So the striped, cotton Dries Van Noten sweater I bought in July came in at $200. I deliberated for some time on that one as I walked around the store.

Last winter, my mid-weight jacket from the Japanese label Sage de Cret cost $200, and prompted some soul-searching as I tried to decide how much I really wanted and needed it. I ended up selling an Ann Demeulemeester jacket that didnít fit quite right to make up for it.

Last fall, I spent more than a week deciding whether to buy a grungy patchwork shirt from Takahiro Miyashitaís label, The Soloist, since it was an online sale and offered no returns. But even at more than $200, it has been well worth it. The amount of thought and detail that went into the shirt impresses me every time I put it on.

All of these items, I should note, were discounted from their original retail prices. But these were still significant purchases for me. I didnít take them lightly.

The price of the clothing we consider purchasing should be high enough that it ďhurtsĒ at least a little.

On the other hand, I chose not to buy a boiled wool blazer from Sage de Cret that was actually slightly less than the jacket I got. It fit me perfectly, but I wasnít sure how much use Iíd get out of it. At that price, I decided to pass.

I also didnít buy a pair of grey tweed Haider Ackermann pants, a black Dries Van Noten sweatshirt, and plenty of other items I wanted, purely because my other purchases had already taxed my budget.

But Iíve also resisted cheaper buys. Recently, for example, I considered grabbing a black sweatshirt for $29 at Uniqlo, and I decided to pass. I can afford it, but I can also find something elsewhere that Iíll value more. Iím thinking of trying out my first loopwheeled sweatshirt instead.

The ideal consequence of this way of shopping, if you give it a try, isnít just to buy less, but also to buy better. By forcing myself to seriously consider my purchases, Iíve been more likely to buy clothes I genuinely like and appreciate, rather than accumulating low-cost impulse buys.

Itís a philosophy that has something in common with the guiding principle of Marie Kondoís book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, which has developed a near-religious following. It dictates that only items that spark joy should have a place in your closet. Here, youíre considering the extent of that joy before the item even makes it into your closet.

The quality of my clothing is noticeably better since I set my goal. Cheap clothes are cheap for a reason. Giant retailers keep prices down through economies of scale. They pay less per garment to manufacture 10,000 pieces rather than 1,000, and often want factories to do the work in a short time frame. Thereís truth in the saying, ďFast, good, or cheap. Pick two.Ē

Companies also reduce costs by using lower-quality fabrics and the least-expensive construction methods available. Those lesser ingredients make for an inferior finished product.

Of course, itís the workers sewing the clothes who are typically being squeezed most by the pressure to keep costs down. Iím all in favor of retailers employing people in countries such as China, Bangladesh, and Vietnam to make clothes. Those jobs have provided essential economic development and are critical to many in warding off poverty. But I think those workers should be paid betteróand Iím happy to pay extra if it means their wages are substantial. Thatís unlikely when the retail price of a pair of jeans or a shirt is less than $20.

If you buy more expensive clothing, it doesnít guarantee that your clothes will be exceptionally well-made, or that workers havenít been exploited in their making. (Some would argue that, at some point in the garmentís production, someone was probably exploited.)
    And even expensive clothes are responsible for polluting the environment when the textiles theyíre made from are dyed, and when theyíre eventually discarded and left to sit in a landfill.

But it may reduce the likelihood of worker exploitation. And if nothing else, spending more should mean buyingóand wastingóless. And it hopefully means buying from the brand that came up with the design, rather than one copying itófast-fashion and some other low-price labels are notorious for knocking off other designers.

There are times when I donít meet my goal. My t-shirts are not $150 apiece, though most are well over two years old. I did buy a plum-colored Uniqlo sweatshirt and a black linen button-up in the last year, because both were exactly what I wanted. And a few months ago I went to a sample sale held by one of my favorite New York brands and bought a pair of pants for just over $100

Iím also not immune to a great deal, especially when it comes to buying used clothing. I shop on sites such as eBay, the menís resale site Grailed, and even Yahoo Japanís auction site by way of a proxy service. (Japanese shoppers are adventurous, so their market gets some of the best stuff.)
    This used clothing feels a worthy exception to my rule, up to a point. Not only is it a form of recycling, but Iím also enough of a fashion nerd that I get excited about finding past-season items I may not have been able to afford the first time around. In those cases, itís more about the item than the cost, which is the point of my dollar limit anyway.

But I do buy less, and I like what I have more. That in itself has been worth every dollar.
    source: Forget H&M, Primark, and Forever 21: The Case for Expensive Clothes - The Atlantic
    witchcurlgirl and sputnik like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I had the most satisfaction when I bought items at the cheapest outlets that were doubles of the then very fashionable style. Cost me about $ 50, underwear and shoes included. I kept getting compliments and questions and people almost fainted when they heard how good you can look for almost no money. A friend of mine had a similar, designer, outfit and her white DKNY t-shirt alone cost $ 100, so already twice as much as my entire ensemble. Her excuse was that expensive clothes keep their quality longer. I said bullshit, it's how you treat your clothes that influences wear and tear. 2 years later, her expensive T was gone, my 6 dollar one served me as a prime item for about 4 years, then as a home-shirt for another 4 and it got torn in its 9th year during a work-out.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I used to buy cheap shit because it was on sale or fulfilled a momentary thrill. Then I started not necessarily spending more but no longer buying stuff on a whim and instead thinking through every purchase and buying only things I need or really, really want and love. And buying only good quality clothes, well made ones in natural fibres. It means I shop at sample sales or designer outlets like yoox or the outnet. Not outlet malls that just sell cheap shit that brands make specifically for outlet malls and which are badly made. And I shop on sale. But I do a lot more research and I no longer buy shit just because it's cheap, and I think my purchases through a lot more so that I no longer end up buying anything that just sits in my closet and never gets worn.

That's not to say I don't buy anything at Zara or h&m or uniqlo - i still love those places but even those purchases are more thought out than they used to be and I buy something if I will make good use of it. Also, living in New York has severely limited my closet space so I also make an effort so that most things I buy are replacing ones that that are worn out or that I no longer want to wear.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I can see the value in this philosophy. I have a bunch of cute t-shirts sitting in my closet that were like 3 bucks from the thrift store, but I literally have never worn them, because they don't fit yet. I grabbed them because they were 3 bucks, and I planned on losing weight (and I have, but they're not quite comfortable yet). They've been there for years. So even at 3 bucks, a total and complete waste of money, space, and the mental energy and guilt associated with looking at them.

A few years ago I read an article about looking at your wardrobe in terms of cost per wear - so if something cost you $300 dollars but you've already worn it five times because you love it and it fits you well, now it's cost you $60 per wear. Same as a $60 item you've worn once or is just sitting in your closet.
    stella blue likes this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I agree about spending a bit more. I have tons of cheap clothes I never wear or wore only a few times. I find higher quality fits better, feels better and I wear it more. Cheap fabrics rarely look/feel as good.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I agree there is some wisdom to this, and admit I've made some dumb impulse purchases based more on a sale price than really thinking through how the item will fit into my wardrobe. And yeah, those are the items that end up hanging in the closet with the tags still on them for months or years. I'll try to think about this article next time.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Years ago I was given a tip on sale goods- Think, and if you'd still buy it at full price, get it.
    sputnik and twitchy2.0 like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information