Thread: I need Restyling

Default I need Restyling

Ok im saving up my pennies, i haven't been clothes shopping for ages and i have finally come to self realisation my fashion sense is terrible. a uni friend of mine had a honest talk to me and said that i dont wear clothes that flatter my figure eg my jeans are too baggy. Heres some stats im 20, 5ft1 and 99pounds. Can someone suggest (other than tighter jeans) what sort of clothes i should be looking for? accessories etc. I normally dress in baggy jeans, and layers of singlets and a hoodie jacket with sneakers. Id like to dress more pretty and feminiem. So please pass on some suggestions photos of clothing would be nice as well.

Default Re: I need Restyling

Oh I can't really help, I dress alot like you do . But, see if your friend will go with you - make some suggestions and you can try a few things on until you get a feel for it.

I have hellacious trouble with jeans and only have one pair that I think look good on me. Maybe it's my ass that's my problem ... nah!

Yeah lol i dress for comfort hehe but yeah after i went home that day i took a long look in the mirror and realised that my clothes do me no favours. ugg i havent been self conscious in ages but yeah im gonna go to the shops and take a slow walk around. im actually considering dress (shock horror!!) i tried on skinny leg jeans and they look terrible on me im petite so i thought for sure that they would suit me but my hips are "wide" in proportion to the rest of me so it just looked strange. so far my shopping list looks something like:
    - smaller jeans
    - summer dress (maybe, still considering i havent worn a dress since high school - but as i said i wanted a style change lol)
    - tuxedo shorts
    - bolero
    - and a cute cami

Lil

I agree with the idea of asking a friend who always looks good to go shopping with you and help you. The other thing I'd say is try stacks of different things on, even stuff you might not like so much on the hanger, because it might surprise you when you get it on.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Do you like the way your friend dresses? I take my daughter with me, she's my stylist, I ask her a lot, is this me? At my age is still have a youthfull figure but don't want to look like I'm trying to look to young. It's a fine line when your my age. You can have fun with your looks being young. The secret to me is trying on till you find something that really fits and flatters, don't settle for the first thing you try on unless it fits. Shopping was my escape to get away from work, home and stress, but now I have college tutition to pay for my daughter so I've given up shopping. Good luck!

Can you tell us of any celebs or any looks you admire? Kind of your "dream look"???

Have a look at the Street chic section in Elle if you need ideas
    http://www.elle.com/streetchic/8370/...-new-york.html

or the Trends section on Zara's website, those fashion drawings are the style guidelines that are followed by stylists for the year
    http://www.zara.com/v06/index.html
    Last edited by lalala; August 6th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.

Lil

You could try What Not to Wear too?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lifestyle/tv_an...ar_index.shtml
    A big boy did it and ran away.

k so i went on the what not to wear site and low and behold they said that im 'not bad, but could do better' lol. I sort of admire these looks

http://img47.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0123cj.jpg - Keira Knightley
    http://img188.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tall31wk.jpg - Jessica Alba
    i also like what ashley olsen wears but i couldnt find a pic of her where she was actually wearing something i like - im pretty much the same dimensions as the twins - but not nearly as scrawny.

So would these looks be something to aspire to??

i like unique/classic look - such as wearing a sorta of classic outfit but making it your own by adding unique accessories. Im a huge fan of jeans but i keep gettign them to fit instore and not considering that they stretch (ugg such an amateur lol).

A*O

At the end of the day you've got to feel comfortable (physically and 'emotionally') with your personal style. It's no use trying to look uber groomed and sleek like Gwen Stefani when the real 'you' is more like Avril Lavigne! At the same time it's good to open your mind and move away from your comfort zone and try new looks because you might be pleasantly surprised that something you didn't think would suit you makes you look and FEEL fabulous. Take an honest friend whose taste you trust/admire and who will tell you something looks good (or more importantly looks terrible) and don't get upset when the truth hurts! Personally, I think jeans are boring and usually unflattering and not many women look really great in them. There's plenty of alternatives from nicely cut/tailored trousers to cargo-style pants, bootcut jeans etc. I learned from an immaculately elegant, stylish woman that it's better to spend your money on one or two outfits that really fit and suit you, than buying loads of stuff you may like but which don't flatter your figure or your personality.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

i wish i could come dress you, i absolutely LOVE shopping. depending on where you live you could go into cute boutique places downtown. i find you can often get a more original sort of outfit there. the girls are always more than willing to lend an opinion in terms of what you might match with what else. as well since you're young you can get away with a whole lot more than someone who is middle-aged. i would suggest starting with some basics that you can mix and match to create lots of outfits so that you get the most bang for your buck.

Lol thanks if i was in Canada i'd happily let you dress me but yeah ive just picked up a cute pair of shorts (getting ready for summer gotta love Australia) they are sort of tailored looking but still very cute and a pair of 3/4 tights with lace trim i feel like a dancer in them and they look awesome under skirts. The tights are also my attempt at easing my lily white legs into summer without blinding everyone

Silver Member

My suggestion is to go on a serious quest for jeans that you love. I'm a jeans girl and I spend good money on jeans and then play around with tops and accessories. Get one good pair of jeans, get them professionally hemmed if they are too long and go from there with cute and inexpensive tops. Maybe get two pairs of jeans, one you wear with flats and sandals and one to wear with heels.

Thread Information