Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ManxMouse
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 2 Post By Lalasnake

Thread: Neo-Nazis can now shop at Thor Steinar store in London's Jewish North Finchley

Default Neo-Nazis can now shop at Thor Steinar store in London's Jewish North Finchley

Tuesday 15 April 2014 UK http://www.channel4.com/news/thor-steinar-london-finchley-protest-far-right-viking

Inside Thor Steinar: London outfitter to the extreme right

A controversial clothing brand strongly associated with the extreme right in Europe has opened a high street store in London, Channel 4 News can reveal.

Thor Steinar, the favoured brand of hardline right wingers in Germany, has opened a shop in north London called the Viking Thor Shop - but locals may be unaware of its right-wing roots.
    The shop has been operating from Ballards Lane in North Finchley since late last month, bringing clothing heavily associated with European far-right street movements to the UK.
    The owner told Channel 4 News that he is not linked to the far right in any way, and promised to have posts on the white power website Stormfront promoting his new shop removed. * but has used emblems that echo Nazi symbolism?

When contacted Thor Steinar head office said it had "no interest" in commenting on the new shop in the heart of a multicultural London community with a sizeable Jewish population.

Banned brand

The Thor Steinar brand has faced bans in the German Bundestag, in several football stadium and members of the far-right German National Democratic Party have been expelled from parliament for wearing the brand.

Its clothes were banned outright in Germany in 2004 because of the logo's similarity to symbols worn by the Nazi SS – but the company has rebranded since then.

In March 2012 the label drew global controversy when the company opened a shop called Brevik in Saxony. It was accused of naming the store after far-right mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik.

The brand claimed it was named in honour of the Norwegian town of Brevik in Oslo but later changed the name and removed the sign.
    Above the door at the north London Viking store, an ambiguous Wolfsangel-style Nordic rune is proudly displayed.

At present the shop may be unwelcome, but doesn't yet appear to have acted illegally
    Mike Freer MP
    The company was launched in October 2002 and was initially based in Königs Wusterhausen, German. In 2009 it moved to Dubai – provoking outrage from some of its extreme right customers who threatened a boycott.

The arrival of the shop was welcomed by the white power website Stormfront, where users posted boasting that "London gets its first white nationalist clothing shop". A number of users pledged to visit the store.
    One poster responded: "I hate north London. It's full of Jews", while a number of users made comments about shooting Jewish people.
    Local Conservative MP Mike Freer told Channel 4 News; "I am in contact with the Community Security Trust and local groups to ascertain what can be done.
    "However, at present the shop may be unwelcome, but doesn't yet appear to have acted illegally."
    Links to the right

While the company claims it is not owned by the far right, reports in the German press have repeatedly indicated the clothing was created from the far-right scene in east Germany.

The shop sells goods from jackets to t-shirts emblazoned with the brand's name and logo. One t-shirt reads "White shark", another shows a man holding an automatic weapon and reads "last man standing".
    The clothes regularly feature Vikings and Nordic themes - mythology which plays a central role in the extreme right's racial purist views.

The Norwegian government filed a complaint against the use of the national flag in February 2008.
    Thor Steinar shops in Germany have been repeatedly targeted by anti-fascist protests and repeatedly vandalised.
    Earlier this month in Hanover 350 protesters gathered outside a Thor Steinar store to protest against what they see as a "right wing lifestyle store".

Outrage as far-right's favourite outfitter 'Thor Steinar' opens shop in heart of London's Jewish community

Adam Sherwin

Wednesday 16 April 2014

Print
    A A A

A German clothing brand favoured by neo-Nazis in Europe, whose goods were banned because of their similarity to logos worn by SS officers, has opened a high-street store in the heart of London’s Jewish community.

The Viking Thor Shop, which opened in Finchley, North London a fortnight ago, is an outlet for Thor Steinar, a controversial brand whose products are strongly associated with far-right street groups and football hooligans.

The Ballards Lane store is situated yards from the office of the UK’s Chief Rabbi. Jewish and Islamic groups in the multicultural community have expressed concerns that the shop will attract far-right supporters and inflame tensions. But the store’s manager denied any neo-Nazi associations and claimed he was simply selling leisurewear.

The Thor Steinar brand has faced bans in the German Bundestag and across several football stadiums.
    In 2012, eight members of the far-right German National Democratic Party were expelled from Saxony’s state parliament for wearing the brand’s T-shirts, which display runic symbols and Nordic themes popular with neo-Nazis.
    After a 2004 ban in Germany, the company rebranded its original logo which bore a similarity to symbols worn by the Nazi SS.
    The Finchley shop displays a Wolfsangel-style Nordic rune above the door, and variations of the symbol, which was adopted by some Waffen-SS units, feature on the brand’s T-shirts and hoodies.

One T-shirt on sale shows a man holding an automatic weapon and reads “last man standing”.
    Users on the white power website Stormfront claimed “London gets its first white nationalist clothing shop”.
    The office of Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis is based a few doors away, as is the Islamic Association of North London, a mosque which serves the large local Muslim population.

A spokesman for the Community Security Trust, a charity which provides security advice for the UK Jewish community, said: “This is a multi-cultural area with very few problems from racism and neo-Nazism and the like. This shop is not welcome here and the sooner it moves on the better.”

Store owner Zsolt Mogyorodi* said he was not racist and had opened the store to serve a local eastern European community with whom the brand is popular.

Mogyorodi told The Independent: “I don’t know what is wrong with our clothes, they are just normal outdoor clothes. I can’t stop stupid people like football hooligans from wearing them.”
    He denied any neo-Nazi link: “We welcome all kinds of customers in the shop. The Nazi thing is a silly old story from years ago and the brand has changed since then.”

Mike Freer, MP for Finchley and Golders Green, said that while the shop might be “unwelcome” there was as yet no evidence that it was operating illegally.

Passers-by said they found the shop and its clientele intimidating and considered its location, situated between a number of Asian-owned shops and Afghan restaurants, “provocative”.
    In 2012, Thor Steinar named a new German store Brevik, which critics claimed was in honour of right-wing Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik.
    The brand claimed it was named in honour of the Norwegian town of Brevik in Oslo but later changed the name and removed the sign.
    Anti-fascist groups have staged protests outside German Thor Steinar stores, which have been repeatedly vandalised.
    Launched in 2002, Thor Steinar was sold to a Dubai-based company in 2009. Its clothes are banned from the Bundestag, the state parliaments of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Saxony as well as the football stadiums of Borussia Dortmund and Werder Bremen.

Outrage as far-right's favourite outfitter 'Thor Steinar' opens shop in heart of London's Jewish community - Home News - UK - The Independent

*Mr Zsolt Mogyorodi (Slovakian) quoted in the Daily Fail
    "Store owner Zsolt Mogyorodi insisted he was not racist.

He said he chose to open the store in North Finchley because there are lots of Eastern European people living nearby who like the brand.

‘I’m really upset about this. I have lots of black people friends. I’ve got lots of Indian friends. I’m not Nazi. I’m not racist.

‘It is just stupid things they write on websites.’"

Also from potential shoppers in the area....
    "‘I found it quite scary. The shop was manned by a heavy-accented guy with a shaved head and lots of tattoos." .....so, no judgement there, then.

My bolding. Enjoy.
    Free Charmed.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Assclowns, I highly doubt any of them are a genetically pure as they would like to imagine. There's some troll on the 23andme community forums called Thorsdottir that likes to go on about being purely 100% northern European or some such shit.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

The arrival of the shop was welcomed by the white power website Stormfront, where users posted boasting that "London gets its first white nationalist clothing shop". A number of users pledged to visit the store.
    You mean it isn't Abercrombie & Fitch?

Ok, free speech, capitalism and all that, this is scary. I hope the UK gov't keeps an eye on them.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Pippin is goose stepping all the way to that store as we speak.
    BITTER and chartreuse like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    You mean it isn't Abercrombie & Fitch?

Ok, free speech, capitalism and all that, this is scary. I hope the UK gov't keeps an eye on them.
    While they're shopping next to them???? Don't forget our prime minister worked on the "Hang Nelson Mandela" campaign in the 1980s.*
    He's a fucking embarrassment.

*He's from the same stock as the UK aristos & the royal family... Hence my repeated reminders about how hot-mess-racist-prince.
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Assclowns, I highly doubt any of them are a genetically pure as they would like to imagine. There's some troll on the 23andme community forums called Thorsdottir that likes to go on about being purely 100% northern European or some such shit.
    This seems to be aimed at our brothers & sisters from the eastern European states, who are pure nothing.....

ETA - Abercrombies used to be worn by Mods & Skas when I was young a century & a half ago..... Skinheads worn them with docs & Fred perry shirts..... Even the racists looked smarter then *shakes stick*
    BITTER likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    While they're shopping next to them???? Don't forget our prime minister worked on the "Hang Nelson Mandela" campaign in the 1980s.*
    He's a fucking embarrassment.
    The current one? I didn't know this shit. I know that hag Thatcher called him a a terrorist at one point.

*He's from the same stock as the UK aristos & the royal family... Hence my repeated reminders about how hot-mess-racist-prince.
    I don't get why people fall over this kid - he's borderline bigoted, I don't care how many black babies he kisses.

This seems to be aimed at our brothers & sisters from the eastern European states, who are pure nothing.....
    I belong to a few other online forums for my various interests. Quite a few members are from Eastern Europe, and I was shocked at some of the intolerant, racist and antisemitic things that they've posted.

ETA - Abercrombies used to be worn by Mods & Skas when I was young a century & a half ago..... Skinheads worn them with docs & Fred perry shirts..... Even the racists looked smarter then *shakes stick*
    LOL.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The current one? I didn't know this shit. I know that hag Thatcher called him a a terrorist at one point.

I don't get why people fall over this kid - he's borderline bigoted, I don't care how many black babies he kisses.

I belong to a few other online forums for my various interests. Quite a few members are from Eastern Europe, and I was shocked at some of the intolerant, racist and antisemitic things that they've posted.

LOL.
    Yep, that's why I keep posting this! Its not opinion but proven fact (PM Cameron belonging to the anti-Mandela campaign).

The Eastern European thing is.... interesting(?).
    Especially considering that 20 yes ago they were behind the iron curtain, where everyone was 'equal'....
    Free Charmed.

Yep, that's why I keep posting this! Its not opinion but proven fact (PM Cameron belonging to the anti-Mandela campaign).
    But since they don't want people to pay attention to this unfortunate point in his career, it will be forever downplayed. If someone wants to bring him down, rest assured, this will become public in the worst way.
    The Eastern European thing is.... interesting(?).
    Especially considering that 20 yes ago they were behind the iron curtain, where everyone was 'equal'....
    Since the Iron Curtain was lifted, Russia and other Eastern Euro countries have been getting a lot of non-white immigrants after years of being relatively homogenous...doesn't make it right, though.

Well, there is a big Romany population too that is continually persecuted - and then there are the Kurds, etc....However, I think I was being ironic....
    Free Charmed.

Well, there is a big Romany population too that is continually persecuted - and then there are the Kurds, etc....However, I think I was being ironic....
    Sorry, my irony cap is in the cleaners'...

I'm not even sure that irony is the correct description, but its 3am & its been a long day!
    BITTER likes this.
    Free Charmed.

"Purity" is fucking bullshit. We're all mongrels, and those of us who are European are also Neanderthals. We all came from something that probably looked like this:

No race is special. We should all count ourselves lucky that our adaptation led to the comforts of our world, not exclude others because they're different from us.

Our ethnicity doesn't mean shit. I have a French surname, but according to the DNA test, I'm not French. According to the test, I have Basque and South Asian ancestry (in addition to a shit-ton of European ancestors, including Vikings), and no one in my family has any idea how it happened (other than traveling and shagging ). We all came from the same single-celled organism. We're all related, and we all have ancestry that we would be surprised about, so stop pretending that you're special!
    Just Kill Me and BITTER like this.

Thread Information