Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By louiswinthorpe111
  • 3 Post By twitchy2.0
  • 2 Post By witchcurlgirl

Thread: Ed Hardy: Jon Gosselin Was The 'Nail In The Coffin' For Fashion Brand

Elite Member

Default Ed Hardy: Jon Gosselin Was The 'Nail In The Coffin' For Fashion Brand

More like the brand turned into an easy way to recognize douchebags -

Ed Hardy: Jon Gosselin Was The 'Nail In The Coffin' For Fashion Brand

It's been a while since we heard much about Ed Hardy -- and Jon Gosselin is to blame, says the designer.
    "That Jon Gosselin thing was the nail in the coffin,” Hardy told the New York Post this week. "That’s what tanked it. Macy's used to have a huge window display with Ed Hardy, and it filtered down and that’s why Macy’s dropped the brand."
    The "Jon Gosselin thing" probably refers to the time Gosselin of "Jon & Kate Plus 8" fame was photographed in 2009 aboard a flashy yacht with Ed Hardy owner Christian Audigier. Gosselin was a diehard Ed Hardy fan, wearing the brand's signature tattoo-print tees all over Hollywood and even chatting up Audigier about a children's clothing line.
    (Gosselin also got a massive Hardy-esque dragon tattoo on his back in 2010, but that's neither here nor there.)
    But as Gosselin's star faded, so did Ed Hardy's. In 2010, the company collapsed and was forced to close stores, liquidate its assets, pay back creditors and give itself over to administrators at Deloitte. Just one year after being named one of Business Review Weekly's top Fast 100 companies, Ed Hardy was in shambles.
    All Gosselin's fault? More like Christian Audigier's. Hardy tells the New York Post, "Christian worships celebrities so much, he will get next to anyone who is famous for anything." That included Gosselin, who had his 15 minutes of fame after his family's TLC reality series.
    Unfortunately, Ed Hardy's fame survived approximately the same amount of time as Gosselin's. When's the last time you've seen a kid in an Ed Hardy shirt?
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Middle America

Jon Gosselin took down an empire!

That's totally hilarious to me.
    Air Quotes and msdeb like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Ed Hardy was synonymous with douchebaggery long before Gosselin. They've no one to blame but themselves.
    gas_chick, sputnik and Bluebonnet like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

The douches grow up and move from Ed Hardy to John Varvatos.

It's the fashion version of the circle of life.
    olivia and sputnik like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

midwest USA

it was overpriced crap anyway, but I did like some of the artwork.

fellow traveller

i've never laid eyes on a single item of ed hardy that wasn't offensively ugly. which of course made it popular. it's good that it's over but it's only going to be replaced with the next douchebag label of choice.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Seattle, Washington

I hated the look of it from day one but yeah not his fault. Trends come and go, remember Cross Colours, Hyper Color, and Stussy?
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Wherever my kids are

I think the wearer can definitely damage the prestige of a brand. Look what Amedinejad did to Member's Only jackets - they were TOTALLY due for a comeback until he came along.

Thread Information