Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I'm confused about stockings?

Default I'm confused about stockings?

Like we shouldn't wear them anymore because they're out? I don't know what's the deal with stockings these days?

But my legs are not great, and it's always cold in Seattle. A skirt without stockings and the wind blowing up my bare tush? Brrrr.

I don't like the dark tights very well, but I do like stockings with skirts and dresses. Do they make you look old?

We went to the symphony last week and I wanted to wear a fancy skirt, but the only shoes I had to go with it were peeptoe, and I know you can't wear stockings with peeptoes, and my knees don't look so good bare nekkid, and it wasn't warm enough to go out barelegged.....so I wore trousers instead of my pretty skirt.

Stockings in, out, maybe, yes, no?

A*O

Unless you're wearing a hooker mini skirt who the hell is going to know what your hosiery of choice is apart from you? Tights/hose are daggy but warmer and more comfortable. Guys love stockings.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I see a lot of criticism here on the celeb pics "Is she wearing stockings?". So I'm thinking it's a fashion offense?

I don't mind stockings as long as they are not worn with shorts or open toe shoes. Nothing in white or high sheen or fishnet.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

^^^ Yeah, it definitely seems that way. BUT there are very discreet stockings that you could easily get away with (and you totally have a great reason, to keep WARM). Most of the celebs I've seen mocked for wearing stockings are the ones that are super shiny. If you get a matte sheer that is very close to your skintone, I think you could easily get away with it. I know they also make ones for wearing with peep toes, they just end before the toe cleavage starts. Colored tights seem to be in fashion, but I just don't see that as a warmer spring/summer option. I personally don't wear them because of an injury I have on my abdomen that left a huge keloid behind ... the type of fabric used and the stretchy tightness of stockings just really irritates it. My mother AND mother-in-law grew up in the generation where apparently you're supposed to wear TAN stockings (even if you're fairer than fair), and wearing them with open toed SANDALS is a bonus!! I just cringe every time I see them dressed up.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

Elite Member

I loathe pantyhose, but I like tights. I think that when you don't live in a place with weather like southern California, practicality has to win out sometimes and I still couldn't see myself wearing nothing on my legs in a business situation where I'm wearing a skirt suit or a dress, even if it was a bazillion degrees out.

Pantyhose don't always photograph well, and that's why a lot of celebs get ragged on for hose, imo. I think pantyhose has probably come a lot way from L'Eggs in Suntan, though. I personally prefer tights, but if you don't like them, wear what you're comfortable in and what will make you feel best. No sense in not wearing a skirt you love because of arbitrary fashion rules.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I do not miss the days of wrestling into my control top. But because of that, I never wear skirts anymore (has nothing to do with warmth, but chub rub and a winter aversion to shaving). In these days, I do find it odd when I see a woman in stockings, I tend to think either skater or deep vein thrombosis. With that said, it's mind eraser monday and my comments and opinions should summarily be discarded in all but Mel/shed contexts.
    Lobelia likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I just don't want to be one of those people who takes a last look in the mirror on the way out the door, and says yep that's perfect--and then get out in public where people snicker in horror thinking my god look at that old bozo she's wearing pantyhose for chrssake. What a rube.

no promises, but just be fabulous you and as you're warm and put together, those of us shivering judgers will just be bittur jellus unstocked assholes....now off to make the bast of mind eraser monday or pass out, whatever
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

azoria likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I wear all manner of stockings!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

A*O

Can we clarify the terminology here? To me, stockings are held up with a suspender belt or have elasticated tops. Tights (hose) have "panties" sometimes with a gusset. I love that word. I don't give a crap what you wear and neither should you.
    faithanne likes this.
    Dame Edna Everage

I take tights to be more opaque and pantyhose to be more sheer, to clarify further.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

A*O

It's all about the denier IMO.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information