Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Gap gets a make-over

Default The Gap gets a make-over

Is this the new Jenna Lyons? Gap's recently appointed creative director Rebekka Bay debuts brand's fashion-forward makeover

By Olivia Fleming
    PUBLISHED: 17:49, 18 April 2013 | UPDATED: 17:49, 18 April 2013

It has been six months since Rebekka Bay, who made her name designing offbeat womenswear classics for COS, owned by H&M, took over as creative director for Gap.

And in the flailing fashion retailer's new fall 2013 lookbook, the 42-year-old's sophisticated influence is firmly felt.
    While Ms Bay’s Gap designs won’t land in stores until spring 2014, the new sleek, pared-down, and expertly-layered looks show her creative direction finally singling Gap down to one vision - mirroring the aesthetic strategies of J. Crew's reigning fashion force, Jenna Lyons.

Battle of fast-fashion's power women: Gap's new creative director, Rebekka Bay (left), seems to be channeling J. Crew's Jenna Lyons' (right) clean and cohesive aesthetic as she begins the retail store's fashion revival

Gap, one of the great hot-to-not stories of American retailing, has been struggling in a stalemate revival for years. Part of the problem has been inconsistent design, where too many visions created unappealing fashion, and punished sales.

Ms Bay's predecessor, Gap's former creative director Patrick Robinson, who was fired in May 2011 after initially being hailed as Gap's 'saviour', came up against such problems.
    A former Gap employee who worked with Mr Robinson told the New York Times: 'One season, executives were asked to focus on women’s career wear, only to be told the next season to get back to Gap’s core, denim.

New look Gap: In the previously flailing fashion retailer's latest fall 2013 lookbook, Ms Bay's sophisticated influence is firmly felt, with sleek silhouettes and pared-down looks

Jean genie: Boyfriend-style jeans are paired with a classic no-frills trench coat (left), while an all-denim look is broken up with peek-a-boo stripes (right)

'Then it’s, "Don’t focus on the denim business; focus on tops."'
    It seemed Gap's merchants, who were ordering and adjusting the products, were ruining Mr Robinson's vision.
    They ordered: chase Express’s trendy, club-ready market, but then go after Macy’s diverse designs. And most recently, it appears the retailer has been taking a cue from J.Crew’s book.
    WhichGap's former CEO, and current J. Crew CEO, Mickey Drexler, might not be thrilled about, but it seems to be a move in the right direction.

Quirky cool: Ms Bay, 42, made her name designing offbeat womenswear classics for COS, owned by H&M, is now bringing that aesthetic to Gap

Well-cut classics: Gap, one of the great hot-to-not stories of American retailing, has been struggling in a stalemate revival for years, but that is set to change with Ms Bay at the helm

Ms Lyons, Mr Drexler's right hand woman, and J. Crew's creative director and president is, has become the face in front of, and behind the powerhouse that is J. Crew.

Nicknamed 'the woman who dresses America,' it is her own boy-meets-girl aesthetic that has shaped the company.
    She recently explained to Fast Company: 'It's not that my vision is better. It's having one singular vision.

Pops of color: Ms Bay opted for a cohesive and neutral palette of blush pinks, navy, white and beige, while dotting the collection with bright oranges, or sometimes, a surprising stripe of shocking pink

Tailored over trendy: A denim jacket and denim shirt-dress (left), or white chinos and a camel jacket (right) might not be new, but an emphasis on fit and form takes classics to more modern heights

Styled to a tee: Ms Bay proves she has the vision to create sleek, pared-down, and expertly-layered looks for a recently doleful Gap - at affordable prices

'For me, it was like, "I really want to get my hands on that because I want it to look more cohesive, and it's driving me crazy." So I was asking for it.'

And the blond, blue-eyed Ms Bay, whose classic wardrobe staples are not unlike the favorites of Celine's Phoebe Philo, appears to be Gap's own answer for a new one-vision direction - affordable, stylish basics.

It seems Ms Lyons’ continual growing celebrity, and status as a fast-fashion style icon, might have some much needed competition, yet
    Free Charmed.

Oh well, I was never a big fan of the Gap before and it doesn't look like I will be in future.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Everything looks like it doesn't fit.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

OT: Haha Air Quotes I love your icon!

I'm other a fan of these clothes though.

There were a few things I liked from Gap and they had nice pants, but I hardly ever shopped there and got most stuff second-hand. No reason to go in there anymore.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Are we supposed to be impressed by these new photos Gap has put out? Ugly bitchfaced twigs wearing ugly, ill-fitting clothes. I hope the new line is more inspired than these pictures seem to indicate...
    Sylkyn likes this.

the new designs kind of look like COS, but not as cool. I looooove COS, i wish they'd open shops in the US.
    still, the new designs are better than anything i've seen in GAP in ages.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

JFC, give these goddamn models a sandwich or 12!!! I hate places that only use shapeless, boy-figured models. We aren't built like that, y'all.
    shedevilang likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A whole lot of ugly...

Bow-legged and concentration camp chic. Not a fan.
    Brookie likes this.

What's with the model who appears to be snarling in all her pics?

I'm not seeing any sophisticated and sleek silhouettes, just shapeless boxy clothes. I hate how most of the clothes in stores now are shapeless, made to 'hang' in a way that doesn't flatter any woman, not lined, just cheap shit that takes very little skill to design or produce.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

I went into Gap recently to buy a pair of jeans & they're all cut way too low for me with no other waist options. Stupid, they used to have a great range, even in the 90's when they first opened. Hell, I'll just have to lose weight & wear my old pairs.
    Free Charmed.

Is that why the COS designs have been disappointing this year?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I like the line...they might have popped to have the models actually put the clothes on and take a picture each time instead of using a software program. I'm tired of all the weird structure and random elastic in women's tops recently, I liked the boxier tops in the 80s/90s that hit to mid-hip.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information