• 1 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 1 Post By sluce
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 2 Post By Tati

Thread: Lilly Pulitzer Dies at 81

Default Lilly Pulitzer Dies at 81

Fashion designer Lilly Pulitzer dies at 81

The fashion world has lost an icon.

Socialite turned designer Lillian Bostwick Phipps Pulitzer Rousseau, otherwise known as Lilly Pulitzer, died Sunday morning at her Palm Beach residence after a brief illness, according to the Palm Beach Post.

She was 81.

"Early this morning, Lilly Pulitzer Rousseau passed away peacefully in Palm Beach, surrounded by family and loved ones. Lilly has been a true inspiration to us and we will miss her," the designer's Facebook page posted earlier today.

"In the days and weeks ahead we will celebrate all that Lilly meant to us. Lilly was a true original who has brought together generations through her bright and happy mark on the world."

Dubbed the "Queen of Prep," Pulitzer was famous for her signature "classic shift dress" with the large and bright tropical patterns, and they quickly became a staple for numerous big names and trendsetters, including her boarding school classmate and former first lady, Jackie Kennedy.

"Style isn't just about what you wear, it's about how you live," Pulitzer said in 2004. "We focus on the best, fun and happy things, and people want that. Being happy never goes out of style."

Lilly Pulitzer is survived by her children Liza, Minnie and Peter Pulitzer, as well as her grandchildren.

Fashion Designer Lilly Pulitzer Dead at 81 | E! Online

For those that like little secrets or games, every Lilly Pulitzer print has the word 'Lilly' hidden in the artwork.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Another sad story. Rest in peace.

And interesting to know about her name in the artwork!
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Elite Member

Lily was a fave of mine, in secret mainly. No, it wasn't for her designs though those had their place. To deal with a painful marriage, she started a juice stand. Yes, this doyenne of Palm Beach sold fresh squeezed juice on the Boardwalk to work through her issues. That's simply delightful.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I love that story about the juice stand.

I love all of her clothes, they are so loud, colorful and happy they're almost rebellious IMHO. Not to say the designs aren't straight-laced and preppy obviously, but you wear that much pink and pastel, you're bound to piss someone off.
    Novice likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Love Lily Pulitzer. Couldn't afford it when I was younger and too fat now, but love it. I've tried to get my daughter to love it. Sad that she's gone.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post

I love all of her clothes, they are so loud, colorful and happy they're almost rebellious IMHO. Not to say the designs aren't straight-laced and preppy obviously, but you wear that much pink and pastel, you're bound to piss someone off.
    Good point! I don't hate her prints at all. No, I couldn't wear them and hated the Mommy and Me mother/daughter identicals, but the prints themselves really do reflect a cheerful So. Florida aesthetic all it's own.
    Waterslide likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I got a text from my daughter yesterday stating the campus is in mourning. I thought a student had died or something but it is because Lilly died. LOL I will celebrate her life when I go to the warehouse sale next month.
    Waterslide likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Good point! I don't hate her prints at all. No, I couldn't wear them and hated the Mommy and Me mother/daughter identicals, but the prints themselves really do reflect a cheerful So. Florida aesthetic all it's own.
    Yes, I really love the prints a lot, so I guess Florida was good for something! lol
    ~Manx Mouse

I have some of her perfume, think I'll wear it this evening (the bottle is so pretty!).
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post

LOL! I love that hot pink color and I have so many clothes that color that I can do an "(intentional) pink" wash! I have a rep for looking like Elvira or something because people are always shocked when I wear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I got a text from my daughter yesterday stating the campus is in mourning. I thought a student had died or something but it is because Lilly died. LOL I will celebrate her life when I go to the warehouse sale next month.
    I thought of you when I saw that firefox do a Lilly Pulitzer skin, which I downloaded. Today is dull and its raining, but firefox is bright pink & sunny green! Made me smile.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-first-impres/

ETA - She's done 3 skins, they're great fun! https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...lyson_c/themes

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    For those that like little secrets or games, every Lilly Pulitzer print has the word 'Lilly' hidden in the artwork.
    Not sure I can find "Lilly" in it though?
    Free Charmed.

You have to see the prints larger, sometimes the Lilly is really hidden. On that 'First Impressions' pattern at your link it's in the heart of the flower. In this pic you can see it, near the top, a bit right of center http://www.garnethill.com/threadsbygarnethill/wp-content/uploads/lp-sister-florals.gif
    Novice likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Just saw this popped back up. Funny cuz I got the card in the mail today reminding me the warehouse sale is June 5-7. LOL
    Novice likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

WCG I used the skins & saw the Lilly!!!
    witchcurlgirl likes this.
    Free Charmed.

^ I'm using one too!
    Novice and witchcurlgirl like this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information