Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Americans--Do we have big feet?

Default Americans--Do we have big feet?

I am currently in the midst of a perpetual agony--buying shoes. Lined, waterproof, winter boots--(must be cute)--to be exact.

In my size, I'm finding tractor-worthy utilitarian footwear only fit for hunting large game on the tundra. I am 5'4", 130 lbs. roundabout, and I wear a size TEN shoe.

I have been through this over and over again. When we lived in eastern Europe I could not find [pretty] shoes in my EU size, 41 or 42. Those were men's sizes!

We were in Ecuador last month and my husband and I both saw some beautiful handmade leather boots. We were ready to buy....but we both walked away empty handed because in the entire country there were not shoes large enough to fit us! Mas grande we were told, no they had nothing so big as would fit us. *sigh*

What's the deal with Americans and our huge feet?? It's a common complaint with Americans living abroad.

Aaarghh

Decades ago I inherited my grandmother's belongings and her shoes were ridiculously size 5 and 6. Laughable little things. Two generations of feet, why are ours so big now?

It's brutal. And my feet are cold. And wet.

That must be so frustrating. Generally speaking, your height is what determines your foot size, though there are obviously exceptions to the rule. Just as an example, I am 5'5-1/2" and my shoe size runs anywhere between a 7M to an 8M ... I usually wind up with a 7.5 for regular shoes and an 8 for sneakers or boots because of thicker socks. My sister is 5'5" (so half an inch shorter) and her size tends to run 7.5. My youngest sister is also 5'5" but she tends to fit better in a 7. My mother wears a 7.5. We were always borrowing each other's shoes (ick). So, I don't know if that's genetics or what ... the four of us are extremely close in height and can wear each other's shoes. My husband's cousin's wife is the same height as me (more or less) and she tried to pass on a pair of shoes to me that she bought and couldn't return ... but she wears a size 9!

Anyway, my mother is a QVC addict and her TV is always turned to QVC. I know they carry extended sizes. I did a quick search on shoes and filtered it by 9 to 10-1/2M (that was the only range I could filter) and came up with 1,591 results. I glanced through just the first page and found a couple of pair of cute boots and even two pair of heels that came in your size (hopefully this link will contain the filter; you never know with an iPad) ... http://www.qvc.com/Womens-Shoes-9-10-12-Medium-Shoes-Shoes-&-Handbags.category.O585.html?refine=2126518+4294952 692&currentPage=1&cm_re=LN-_-Shoes-_-Women`s+Shoes+9-10+1/2+Medium&pageSize=96&cm_sp=REFINEMENTS-_-Size-_-Women`s+Shoes+9-10+1/2+Medium&mzind=N

i haven't looked elsewhere, QVC just flashed in my mind. Also, I belong to several boutique sales clubs and they tend to cater to model sizes (which I am definitely not) and I've seen big name luxury designers with larger sized shoes ... which would make sense since models are supposed to be very tall.

You are very kind, Nevan. Thanks.

My son's girlfriend is over 6 FEET tall and wears the same size shoe as I. :-( And she just turned 20. Think what the size of her feet will be after thirty years more.

We have big feet and are usually taller. My own Mother wore a 10aaaa (try finding THAT) and always said she had an expensive foot. She also complained she wore a size 8 dress and 10 shoe-that should have been the other way around!
    My son wears a size 13(6'2") my nephew a 14(6'4") my aunts size 10 (5'10").
    Have you tried Nordstroms & FootSmart?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Are you looking for something like this?:
    http://www.dsw.com/shoe/totes+polly+...ductRef=CROSS:

This is just one example (can't seem to post the pic), but DSW has quite a few different styles.

it's not just americans, germans and northern europeans in general have big feet.
    in latin america and asia women have tiny little feet.
    i'm 1m64 (i think that's about 5'4'') and i'm a size 39 shoe which is an 8.5 in the US. not huge but pretty big considering my height. when i was living in chile, my size was very often the largest they would carry and sometimes they didn't have it at all. in europe 38 and 39 were the most popular sizes and i never had any problem finding shoes.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Meh, I'm about 5'4" and I wear an 8 in shoes... Size 10 shoe in women sounds big to me but not THAT big. I consider my feet average and if the truth be told, my left foot has a little defective toe (retarded toe, if you go by my brothers) and I could actually use a 7 to 7.5 on that foot...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I'm 4'11" and wear a 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 depending on the shoe. If it's an open toe, like a flip flop or sandal, I'd go smaller. For a boot, or any other closed toe, I'd go a tad larger.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I'm 5'2 and i wear a 7.5 My mom is 4'11 and she wears a 5. My sister is the same size as me and she wears a 6. Somehow I turned out the "big" footed one

I'm 5'2" and I sport a 6-1/2 size. "Normal" size we sell at DSW is between 8 - 9-1/2 for ladies and 10 for men.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I'm 5'1" and used to be a 5 or 6. After pregnancy, I'm a solid 6. Weird. While pregnant I could wear a 7.5 due to swelling.

I have one good friend who is 5' and wears a size 2 shoe! She has a hard time finding grown up shoes.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm 5' 10" and wear a size 6 - 6 1/2. Yes, they look out of proportion, and yes, they hurt. You can't win with feet, I think.

I'm apparently a size 13 in Europe. I had to specially order shoes.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'm 5'2" and if I could find shoes that fit, I would wear a woman's 5. That never happens so I often wear a size 6 for my dress shoes and a kids 3.5 for tennis shoes and sandals. Some stores say those sizes are interchangeable, but from experience, I disagree. I swim in a size 6 heel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information