Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Went to the mall yesterday, OMG the 70's and 80's threw up in there!

Elite Member

Default Went to the mall yesterday, OMG the 70's and 80's threw up in there!

Has anyone checked out what's in the stores this fall? Blech. I saw ugly ass go go girl print dresses, prissy high neck/tie neck blouses, ugly argyle sweaters and sweaters that looked awfully close to Cosby sweaters, block prints, and a whole lotta ugly. Very discouraged.

OMG, I just see that I posted a thread from 7 years ago about this very same thing! It just has to stop.

I was talking to one of the shop girls about how I hated the clothes out this fall. She reminded me that Gap tried to bring back stirrup pants a couple of years ago. If they try to bring back shoulder pads we're screwed.

The fashion industry is so arrogant. Why can't they show groups of normal fashionable women (not celebrities) drawings of some of the stuff they are planning and get a thumbs up or thumbs down? Every other industry does test marketing. The fashion industry just ships this crap to the store and if it doesn't sell they are stuck with it. It's a really stupid way to run a business if you ask me.

perhaps you're shopping in the wrong stores.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Personally I like high neck tops and argyle sweaters so I think its all subjective. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that lots of other people don't either.
    greysfang likes this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

I love argyle sweaters. I love a guy in an argyle sweater. I wear mine with a white button up and jeans. Cute!

Stirrup pants are OK when you wear them with boots, not when you wear them with flats or other shoes.

I like a lot of what is out for Fall. I like color blocking.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

My mom pointed out some tie neck blouses in a catalog the other day and then went back to her closet and pulled out an almost identical one from 1981. She looked at me and said, "I'm all ready for Fall, because I have all this stuff from the first time around!" I thought it looked pretty cute on her, so I liked it.

My style leans very preppy, so, a lot of the stuff mentioned works in my wardrobe.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Trends come and go and I liked the 70's and 80's. Every decade has disasters.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    perhaps you're shopping in the wrong stores.
    Tell me where to shop, please! For the past 10 years, I have generally bought most of my clothes at Ann Taylor Loft and Banana Republic. I hate department stores, so don't tell me to go to those. I went back out to another mall today and didn't have any luck. I went in Anthropologie. Their dresses are cute but I don't need any dresses. Most of their stuff is too quirky. I even went in Nordstrom despite my hatred for department stores, and wandered around not liking anything. I went in Limited but I don't like polyester. I went in Talbot's and decided that was the place to go if I wanted to be on stage at the Republican National Convention.

There's just not that many stores that have fashionable well fitting stuff for women my age (early 40's). It's either too frumpy, too cheap looking (department store and ubiquitous polyester), or too young (Express, American Eagle).

From the title of the thread, I actually wanted to know what mall this is, because I miss the 80s. And other than the Cosby sweaters, it all sounds like a lot of fun clothes to me. I love argyle and I love Anthropologie.

Why do you hate department stores?
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

hmm so you don't want stuff that's too classic, yet anthropologie is 'too quirky', you say you want 'fashionable' but what does fashionable mean to you if it's obviously not what's in fashion?

how about getting stuff from different stores and trying more variety? you don't have to go to just one place. there are literally thousands of different shops out there.

i'm actually enjoying a lot of the 80s stuff, like high-waisted pleated cropped pants with loooong thin belts that you can kind of loop around, loose silk blouses, etc.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i'm actually enjoying a lot of the 80s stuff, like high-waisted pleated cropped pants with loooong thin belts that you can kind of loop around, loose silk blouses, etc.
    Me too. The whole low-riding, hip-hugging look has been quite tortuous as I'm long-waisted and do not have the figure of an 8-year old.

Elite Member

1) I hate department stores because there is too much stuff to look at, it's not well merchandised, crammed on racks, a lot of old lady stuff (at least where I live). The only time I go there is to get a nice dress, and even then the last time I needed a new dress for a wedding I ended up buying it at Banana.

2) Fashionable to me means stuff that flatters my body. I was an avid What not to Wear watcher for years and I really liked Stacy London's style. I got a lot of great ideas from that show but we no longer get cable. I also used to read In Style magazine regularly. Maybe this is just a phase and when they get the late fall/early winter stuff in I will feel differently. I really haven't had any problems dressing myself or finding things I like that fit well for the last 10 years.

3) I am short waisted and will NOT go back to high waisted pants, hell no. I'm glad we have a lot of rise choices and choices for leg style now that we didn't have in the 80's.

I really would like suggestions for stores. My next door neighbor wears the cutest clothes but I'm afraid to ask her where she shops.

The thing about department stores is that you can find a lot of separates, sometimes cheaply, if you stay on top of sales and have coupons. The thing about Stacy and Clinton is that they go in for the flattering basics and then find really great accent pieces. And I think one of their mottoes is to "try things on!" Sometimes things that look old lady on the hanger, don't look old lady on the person. It sometimes just takes a little more time to find the right stuff.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^^^
    this.
    be a little creative. i've got stuff from department stores, i've got designer stuff that i've bought on sale or second-hand, i've got super cheap stuff from shops where 99% of what they sell is ugly but if you rummage around, you can sometimes find great stuff. i've got clothes from chain stores like j.crew and banana republic and zara and h&m. i've got stuff from small indie designers or boutiques. basically, get out of your comfort zone and try stuff on and don't be so damn reactionary about what's in fashion and that it's some kind of conspiracy by the fashion industry to make women look bad. every season there is shitty, ugly stuff that comes out but there's also great stuff and it's all a matter of finding the things that look good on you and fit in with your personal style.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Me too. The whole low-riding, hip-hugging look has been quite tortuous as I'm long-waisted and do not have the figure of an 8-year old.
    yeah i'm happy for the return of the waist. the past few years it was all maternity style tops and dresses and that look is not for me. i've got a small waist and look best in clothes that emphasise it, and narrow hips so the high-waisted, pleated cropped pants are actually very flattering on me.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    yeah i'm happy for the return of the waist. the past few years it was all maternity style tops and dresses and that look is not for me. i've got a small waist and look best in clothes that emphasise it, and narrow hips so the high-waisted, pleated cropped pants are actually very flattering on me.
    Ah yes, the empire waist. (Translation: maternity top.) I'm thin and had someone asked me when I was due when I had on one of these tops.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information