Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Favorite fashion designer(s)?

DAP

Default Favorite fashion designer(s)?

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a thread about this. I guess I'll start it.

Question says it all, really. Who is you favorite fashion designer(s)? I've always had a respect for the "old school" veteran figures such as Christian Dior, Giorgio Armani, and especially Gianni Versace. There are certainly very few European designers that even match up to the aforementioned people in terms of innovation. With that being said, some of my favorite designers are "up-and-coming" (not sure if this is the correct term, but I think you get the point). These include Alexander McQueen, Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs, and Diane von Furstenburg.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

McQueen, Prada, Galliano (I know, I know), I had the privilege to meet Gianni Versace once and he was a fav of mine at the time. I will always be loyal to Vivienne Westwood. Donna Karan cuts beautifully. These are the ones that pop into my head immediately as far as what I would personally wear. I loved Molinari (Blumarine)when I was younger. Calvin Klein contributed so much to modern sportswear. I think Nicolas Ghesquiere is my favorite "new" designer.

Quote Originally Posted by DAP View Post
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been a thread about this. I guess I'll start it.

Question says it all, really. Who is you favorite fashion designer(s)? I've always had a respect for the "old school" veteran figures such as Christian Dior, Giorgio Armani, and especially Gianni Versace. There are certainly very few European designers that even match up to the aforementioned people in terms of innovation. With that being said, some of my favorite designers are "up-and-coming" (not sure if this is the correct term, but I think you get the point). These include Alexander McQueen, Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs, and Diane von Furstenburg.

DVF has been around longer than Versace.

For innovative European designers that match up to the three you mentioned - Coco Chanel, YSL, Margiela, Balenciaga, Paco Rabanne, Alaia, Vionnet, Mary Quant......
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; August 14th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Right now I'm a total Michael Kors whore.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

fgg

i adore elie saab dresses
    Honey likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by DAP View Post
    some of my favorite designers are "up-and-coming" (not sure if this is the correct term, but I think you get the point). These include Alexander McQueen
    kinda hard to be "up-and-coming" when you're dead.
    (sorry, couldn't resist)

dead, old school: cristóbal balenciaga, elsa schiaparelli, yves saint-laurent, andré courrèges

alive: miuccia prada, comme des garçons (rei kawakubo, then junya watanabe), marni (consuelo castiglioni), lanvin (alber elbaz), martin margiela, balenciaga (nicolas ghesquière), helmut lang (when helmut lang was still involved), dries van noten, jean-paul gaultier, chloé (for bags)
    Last edited by sputnik; August 14th, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I haven't really made a note of who I like, I'm a bit too "that's nice" then never remember who it's by. But I do adore McQueen, nearly every single piece I'm like WANT!
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Bottega Veneta, Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren, Balmain, Tod's for bags and shoes.

oh yeah, definitely mcqueen.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Badgley Mischka is my favorite for dresses. Some of the prettiest I've ever seen. They're so feminine and lovely.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Oh and don't hate me but I love Victoria Beckham's designs.

I like her stuff too. I don't own any but I like it.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Right now I'm a total Michael Kors whore.
    How could I forget him? Love his clothes, bags, shoes, jewelry. His husband is a hottie too. LOL

Gonna check out everyone's lists now...
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I am the antithesis of a girly girl but for some reason I really like Nanette Lepore. She uses a lot of interesting colors, patterns and textures and her items look contemporary, classic and funky at the same time.

I also like Helmut Lang, Prada (especially for shoes), Catherine Malandrino, Rebecca Taylor, Tahari, Theory and Vince. Many of these are "bridge" designers. Michael Kors also used to have a bridge collection which I thought was fabulous but he stopped making it about 7 years ago. There was more money for him in a mass-market, less expensive line so he dropped it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information