Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a coat!

Default I need a coat!

I've been looking for nearly 4 years for a winter coat. Something adorable, shapely, preferably not black.

I want long length. That means at least knee length and preferably below.

Wool.

Minimum of ugly big plastic buttons.

No 'genuine faux fur'.

Four years looking for a cute flattering wool coat suitable for Seattle winters. Nothing.

In my onging yearly campaign I just went through Spiegel's, Macy's, Nordstrom, Bluefly, Amazon. Nothing but ugly stuff. And a couple of other websites where nothing was less than $1,000 (but I did find some cute coats....)

Gah, where does one find a cute *real* coat in America? Four years and I'm still empty handed. And cold and wet.

Internet hot tips? Brick and mortar retail in this town is dead.

fgg

I have a coat from Jcrew that I bought years ago and still love. I wore it through a winter in NYC and was fine.
    Posted from my iPhone
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I wear a lot of J Crew jackets and coats, I get them with thinsulate linings and they work pretty well during the cold weather. The wool they use is good quality, usually Italian.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Here's another vote for J.Crew. I bought a wool calf-length coat from them 11 years ago this winter and the thing is still flawless. I have it professionally cleaned at the end of every winter and put it up and it comes out the next year looking perfect. I think I paid around $450 for it back then, so it would probably be a bit more now, but it was worth every penny.

Yes, totally worth the money. They last, and are warm. I have a couple of MaxMara coats that cost more than my J Crews did, but are no where near as warm.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^
    i don't know how cold seattle winters are but i had a max mara coat that i got from a friend of my mother's who had the most incredible wardrobe and would regularly give me stuff to make room for new stuff in her closet. i was in high school and had this amazing max mara wool coat, knee length, nicer than anything i would buy myself now, unless it was really, really on sale. and it was definitely warm enough for geneva winters but not sure how those compare with seattle.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^
    i don't know how cold seattle winters are but i had a max mara coat that i got from a friend of my mother's who had the most incredible wardrobe and would regularly give me stuff to make room for new stuff in her closet. i was in high school and had this amazing max mara wool coat, knee length. and it was definitely warm enough for geneva winters but not sure how those compare with seattle.
    That gives another idea- why not look in some second hand stores in really good areas? Especially this time of year.
    You could end up with your dream coat for less than $200. Worth a try.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

czb

i bought an amazing cashmere coat at a vintage store for $50. silk lining, lightweight and warm.

however, seattle is a different story. the winters are pretty rainy so why do you want a wool coat? you will not be able to wear it too frequently during the rainy season, which is pretty long. during our rainy season - not quite as long as the seattle rainy season - i wear a long burberry on rainy days when i have to go to work, or a patagonia shell on days when i am just out and about.

fgg

jcrew's having an "up to 25% off" sale on outwear right now.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Silver Member
    The First Presleytarian Church Of Elvis The Divine

Try Chadwicks.....I got this coat last year and love it....great prices too.
    Good Luck!

The Classic Long Coat | Chadwicks
    How You Durrin ?

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i bought an amazing cashmere coat at a vintage store for $50. silk lining, lightweight and warm.

however, seattle is a different story. the winters are pretty rainy so why do you want a wool coat? you will not be able to wear it too frequently during the rainy season, which is pretty long. during our rainy season - not quite as long as the seattle rainy season - i wear a long burberry on rainy days when i have to go to work, or a patagonia shell on days when i am just out and about.
    I want wool because almost all of the raincoats I've seen are double breasted trench style, which I hate, and usually don't have a quality warm lining. Wool is fairly water resistant, and warm.

Seattle winter weather is a lot like the UK. Wet and 2 degrees above snow. Most 'raincoats' I've seen are not warm. You need to wear a pile of sweaters underneath them resulting in the Pillsbury Doughboy shape.

Thanks for the input all. I'll have a look at J Crew.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderina View Post
    Try Chadwicks.....I got this coat last year and love it....great prices too.
    Good Luck!

The Classic Long Coat | Chadwicks
    Thanks for the link! I like that one.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    I want wool because almost all of the raincoats I've seen are double breasted trench style, which I hate, and usually don't have a quality warm lining. Wool is fairly water resistant, and warm.

Seattle winter weather is a lot like the UK. Wet and 2 degrees above snow. Most 'raincoats' I've seen are not warm. You need to wear a pile of sweaters underneath them resulting in the Pillsbury Doughboy shape.

Thanks for the input all. I'll have a look at J Crew.
    there are a lot of raincoats that aren't double breasted, my burberry isn't, for example. the reason i ask you about wool is that with the constant rainfall/mist in seattle, your wool coat is going to get ruined. i believe only oiled wool is water resistant but someone like witchcurl will know better than i.

I've seen some Burberry. I like Burberry. Sadly it seems to be beyond my price range.

I'm thinking $200-$300. Burberry is well beyond that.

czb

^^^ sometimes bluefly has burberry on sale but it sounds like you have been checking there. like i said, you may need to confirm that you are buying a wool that can handle the wet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information