Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Everyone Thinks Wearing Flip-Flops to Work Is Awful

Default Everyone Thinks Wearing Flip-Flops to Work Is Awful

A new survey of the ever-dwindling number of employed Americans found that the number one thing people shouldn't wear to work in the summer is flip-flops. Duh! That's because flip-flops are disgusting and inappropriate.

My opposition to the scourge of flip-flops is a matter of public record, but I'm pleased to hear that most people agree with me, at least when it comes to office attire. According to the study, which was conducted by employment services company Adecco, both men and women thought the nasty thongs were inappropriate for professional occasions. And that was the only thing they agreed upon. More women than men thought that both miniskirts and sleeveless tops were inappropriate, but that's because women don't get the same thrill over seeing Lindsay in reception wearing a tube top, pencil skirt, and a pair of platform flip-flops that their male coworkers do.

The survey didn't address what men should be wearing to the office, so let's have a little informal poll in the comments, shall we? Some Gawker employees believe that men wearing nice, tailored shorts to work is acceptable. Others think it's totally wrong. How do you stand on this issue? Are men in shorts as bad as flip-flops at the office?

Everyone Thinks Wearing Flip-Flops to Work Is Awful
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Women get to wear sleeveless shit, shorts, skirts, capri pants.. why are men expected to drudge through the day in dress shirts and pants and sweat their asses off on the way home?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

lol flip flops to work is totally inappropriate, if you work in even a semi-formal place. but if you work in a totally informal workplace where anything goes, then why not? i only despise the tacky slut-flops (with a heel or platform). a friend of mine was allowed to wear flip flops to work in brazil and she was working for UNDP - but keep in mind this was in salvador de bahia and they didn't have a/c in the office so wearing normal office clothes would have been inhumane.

and i think tailored shorts on men are awesome and i've been saying it for years that i wish more men would take them up. the sartorialist featured some recently. i think they look great.

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

In my business many of the guys (only the gay ones though) do the bermuda thing. If you have style it looks nice.

Flip flops in any office are unacceptable. I don't care how casual. It's like wearing pajamas. Some things are for down time only. They don't belong in the business world. A leather sandal is a better choice than a rubber flip flop, and is exactly the same as far as coolness in the heat.

a friend of mine was allowed to wear flip flops to work in brazil and she was working for UNDP - but keep in mind this was in salvador de bahia and they didn't have a/c in the office so wearing normal office clothes would have been inhumane.
    cases like this are the rare time when it's acceptable, the whole business dress idea would go out the window in this situation.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; July 14th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

fgg

how exactly are flip flops all that different from, and more disgusting than, a lot of sandals? i wear flip flops sometimes on casual fridays when i get to wear jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

i like both of those looks but only certain men could pull it off.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I used to be a director of a day care center so I stand behind OSHA when I say flip flops DO NOT belong in the work place. I don't care if you don't leave your desk all day. Aside from looking sloppy, you never know what could fall on or slice open your foot. I have an issue with overly strappy/sex kitten heels too.

I actually got annoyed yesterday because one of the girls at work was wearing like...nothing. The day before she basically wore a tube top, and then yesterday she wore a short skirt and t-shirt...like something you'd wear to the office (not that I'm any kind of prime example of office attire, half my clothes are falling off of me and old/faded).

And I'm all for professional shorts for anyone. I feel bad right now for our techs (alarm technicians) who've been having to wear their dark blue uniforms in the 90 degree weather.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow that guy in capris looks smokin!

I do like those on guys, gotta admit some guys that is.

I don't think open-toed backless shoes, sleeveless shirts, shorts, shirts showing your belly, miniskirts, sweatpants, spandex pants, or bras obviously showing under shirts belong in a professional office workplace. If you work in a gym, then some of these could be appropriate. One of the problems that people take things too far and then you sometimes get The People of Walmart scenario. People don't know when to edit themselves. I also don't like too much skin showing in a work environment but maybe I'm just more conservative than most.

Flip Flops are not appropriate anywhere they are da debbil, how many times do I have to say this
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Flip Flops are the devil. Agreed. My SIL owns about 90 pair of them and all are shittier than the rest. Get some real fucking shoes and stop dropping $3 at Old Navy for every color under the sun.

I can't remember any job that I've had that allowed flip flops. Pretty much all of my jobs were in the construction/manufacturing industry, and even though I worked in the office we weren't allowed to wear ANY open toed shoes because of OSHA. A few of those jobs were casual though and I was allowed to wear sneakers or dress casually.

One job I had was a secretary for a yacht selling/manufacturing company. Tons of money. I walked in my first day with a skirt, blazer and heels (closed toe) and was told to never dress up again. Jeans and sneakers preferably. What I wasn't told when I was hired that one of my duties was to take the three company dogs for LONG walks several times a day. That was the only reason I stayed there as long as I did .... hours spending time with the dogs at the marina, beach and the yacht graveyard. Nobody cared what I did, as long as I didn't dress up. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    how exactly are flip flops all that different from, and more disgusting than, a lot of sandals? i wear flip flops sometimes on casual fridays when i get to wear jeans.

i like both of those looks but only certain men could pull it off.
    I agree on both of these points.

I wear (leather) flipflops to work. Some days these are the only shoes that will fit me & I always have to wear support hose that come down over my feet like toe-less hose. I wear long pants (always) and they cover most of my foot, surgical hose, flipflop. See, no problem.
    Its funny because I've started a trend. No-one wore leather flipflops before I did, and now I've seen 3/4 pairs.

No-one at my office has ever said squat. They don't even notice except where I wear the jangly ones with ornaments.
    Free Charmed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Who would wear flip flops to work?? I love my flip flops, Roxy's, and I hate wearing shoes in the summer. I am that quintessential barefoot Kentuckian!

*surprised face NOT*
    Free Charmed.

I wore flip flops (thongs) every hot day at my old job, but I worked in the music industry and our office was a funky old warehouse and most of our clients were grungy musicians who would be scared off if we dressed formally. I lost count of the times my boss would appear from behind his desk to greet clients saying "I apologise for being barefoot".

I used to walk to work and I'd take off my runners and change into thongs (summer) or ugg boots (winter) because being in an old warehouse with a concrete floor it would either be freezing in winter or blistering hot in summer. They would always laugh that I was the only girl who would change out of her runners into something even worse.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information