Thread: Topshop withdraws advertisement of skinny model after complaint

Default Topshop withdraws advertisement of skinny model after complaint

High street giant Topshop succumbed to the pressure of an eating disorder charity yesterday, removing an image of 18-year-old model Codie Young from their website after campaigners alleged the image could encourage anorexia.
    The original image which showed the Australian teenager in a pair of retro sunglasses and blue shirt dress, has now been replaced with another image of Ms Young.
    Karen Easthall, who runs an anorexia support group in Norfolk, told the Daily Mail that Ms Young appeared to be a size zero, and that Topshop should know that publishing "a disturbing picture of a stick-thin model can cause problems with young girls, who may try to copy them".

Topshop has responded to the Mail's claims that the oversize sunglasses were chosen "to hide sunken eyes – a symptom of under-eating". Andrew Leahy, its head of publicity, responded: "Topshop is confident that Codie is a healthy young woman and we do not feel it necessary to remove her from our imagery... However, we do recognise regretfully that the angle this image has been shot at may accentuate Codie's proportions, making her head look bigger and neck longer in proportion to her body. Codie does not have the sunken eyes referred to in your piece – the sunglasses are featured because we retail them and they make up part of the look."
    Ms Young said: "I am very happy with my body and how I look because it's a part of who I am!... Throughout my entire childhood I was called anorexic and people would ask if I was bulimic."

Topshop withdraws advertisement of skinny model after complaint - Advertising, Media - The Independent

sorry but she's no skinnier than most other models so if they ban her picture they should ban 90% of all fashion ads as well.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post

Ms Young said: "I am very happy with my body and how I look because it's a part of who I am!... Throughout my entire childhood I was called anorexic and people would ask if I was bulimic."

Topshop withdraws advertisement of skinny model after complaint - Advertising, Media - The Independent
    .... and you don't think that's exactly WHY you model fashion shit?

Eat more. Your brains could use it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

She looks disgusting.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

There is nothing attractive about that picture. She's probably no skinnier than most models, but she's styled to look ill - how's that supposed to sell clothes.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I was reading another article in which they claim that the model is a UK size 8 and that it was just that she was photographed from an unfortunate angle in size 10 sample. Not sure I buy any of that. The girl looks like she'd snap in a breeze.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I was reading another article in which they claim that the model is a UK size 8 and that it was just that she was photographed from an unfortunate angle in size 10 sample. Not sure I buy any of that. The girl looks like she'd snap in a breeze.
    I cannot think of any angle that will make a "size 8" look like a
    size -0000...
    They should have put a better angle if she really is the size
    they are claiming she is.

She looks like a corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
    I cannot think of any angle that will make a "size 8" look like a
    size -0000...
    They should have put a better angle if she really is the size
    they are claiming she is.
    Well, it does say they replaced the image with another from the same model, so although I'm sure she is still very skinny, this angle may make her look worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Well, it does say they replaced the image with another from the same model, so although I'm sure she is still very skinny, this angle may make her look worse.
    Reading comprehension fail for me....

Looks like a skull propped on a broom stick handle, covered with clothes.
    Go Habs Go!!

Thread Information