Thread: YSL Issues Rebuttal In Louboutin 'Red Soles' Lawsuit

Default YSL Issues Rebuttal In Louboutin 'Red Soles' Lawsuit

It's the fashion eye-roll seen 'round the world: in April, Christian Louboutin, one of fashion's most iconic shoemakers, filed a lawsuit against fashion house Yves Saint Laurent for manufacturing shoes with Louboutin-style red soles. Louboutin trademarked his red varnished heels back in 2008 and is seeking $1 million in damages (which we calculated to be the equivalent of 250 pairs of Louboutin shoes).

The most recent courtroom update involves an arguably snarky rebuttal from YSL, essentially pooh-poohing Louboutin's claims. According to The Daily Mail, Louboutin claims to be "the first designer to develop the idea of having red soles on women's shoes," in spite of the fact that YSL has used scarlet soles on select shoe styles since the '70s -- long before Louboutin's innovation in 1992.

Court papers filed by YSL state that "Louboutin was fradulent in his trademark application claim that he had 'exclusive' use of the red sole:
    "Red outsoles are a commonly used ornamental design feature in footwear, dating as far back as the red shoes worn by King Louis XIV in the 1600s and the ruby red shoes that carried Dorothy home in The Wizard of Oz."
    We can see it now...skywriting reading, "Surrender Louboutin."

Louboutin also went head-to-head, or heel-to-heel, with Brazilian shoemaker Carmen Steffens for producing shoes with his "signature" soles.

In both lawsuits, Louboutin claims that the other designers' red-soled shoes are being mistaken for those by Louboutin, creating a false identity for his company.

YSL Issues Rebuttal In Absurd Louboutin 'Red Soles' Lawsuit
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

fuck louboutin. the red sole may have become their signature but they didn't invent it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Default Designer Loses Bid to Protect Signature Shoes

Ozier Muhammad/The New York TimesChristian Louboutin’s signature red-soled shoes may not be an exclusive offering for much longer.

The signature red soles on Christian Louboutin high heels, so famous they inspired a song by Jennifer Lopez and made countless cameos on “Sex and the City,” could one day show up on shoes sold at Payless.

A judge declined on Wednesday to grant a preliminary injunction requested by Christian Louboutin against Yves Saint Laurent, which was accused of trademark infringement for shoes that featured red soles similar to those of Louboutin’s. The decision not only cleared the way for Saint Laurent to continue producing its shoes, but also seemed to give coverage to other shoe manufacturers that may want to add a scarlet underpinning to theirs.

Judge Victor Marrero of Federal District Court in Manhattan ruled that the trademark Louboutin obtained in 2008 for its “lacquered red soles” — on shoes that can sell for more than $1,000 a pair — was “overly broad” and most likely not protectable.

“Because in the fashion industry color serves ornamental and aesthetic functions vital to robust competition,” Judge Marrero ruled, “the court finds that Louboutin is unlikely to be able to prove that its red outsole brand is entitled to trademark protection, even if it has gained enough protection in the market to have secondary meaning.”

The lawsuit was filed over four shoes in the Yves Saint Laurent Cruise 2011 collection: the Tribute, Taboo, Palais and Woodstock models.

YSL shoe.

The court seemed to want to give Mr. Louboutin his due, however, describing in great detail the impact the French designer, who has been profiled in Vanity Fair and The New Yorker, has had on fashion.

“When Hollywood starlets cross red carpets and high-fashion models strut down runways, and heads turn and eyes drop to the celebrities’ feet, lacquered red outsoles on high-heeled black shoes flaunt a glamorous statement that pops out all at once,” the ruling stated. “For those in the know, cognitive bulbs instantly flash to associate: ‘Louboutin.’ ”

But recognition aside, the court ruled that allowing Louboutin to claim that scarlet sole as its own would have been like forbidding Monet from using a specific shade of blue in his Water Lilies series because Picasso had been there first with paintings from his Blue Period.

Louboutin’s lawyer, Harley Lewin, told Agence France-Presse: “We are profoundly disappointed at the judge’s decision. We are currently evaluating all alternatives.”

Designer Loses Bid to Protect Signature Shoes - NYTimes.com
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Necro follow up - I didn't realize this was a big lawsuit.

French shoe designer Christian Louboutin opens his first ever retrospective exhibition at the Design Museum in London, Monday, April 30, 2012. The exhibition will be the first comprehensive presentation of Louboutin's work, and will showcase how he has helped transform the design of the shoe over the past 20 years. (AP Photo/Jonathan Short)

LONDON (AP) — Would a red-soled stiletto by any other name than Christian Louboutin look as sweet?

Certainly not for the luxury French shoe designer, who passionately defended his court battle to protect his famous glossy red-soled shoes Monday.

Louboutin was in London to open a museum exhibition marking his brand's 20th anniversary, talking to reporters about his inspirations and his rise to global success. But he also hit out at fellow French fashion house Yves Saint Laurent and its parent company PPR, whom he is suing for trademark infringement in a U.S. federal appeals court. A panel of judges has yet to issue a decision.

"What PPR does via Yves Saint Laurent is breaking my trademark, which I find incredibly offensive," Louboutin told The Associated Press.

Louboutin's lawyers have compared his shoe trademark to a similar one held by Tiffany & Co. for blue boxes — sparking a wider debate on whether a designer can own a color.

The 49-year-old designer, dressed in a red tweed jacket, jeans and steel-toed leather shoes he designed himself, argued that his rivals are wrong to accuse him of trying to monopolize the color red.

"I do not own a color. I own a specific color in a specific place," he said of his distinctive soles.

A lower U.S. court had rejected a request by Louboutin to stop the sale of YSL shoes that are red all over, including the soles.

Louboutin shoes are one of the world's most recognizable fashion items, and have been worn by celebrities from Angelina Jolie to French first lady Carla Bruni. The most popular style is 5 inches high, and his exhibition includes many theatrical boots and shoes with even higher heels.

"Shoes are objects of pleasure," Louboutin said — though his high heels are famously uncomfortable to wear.

Low heels can sometimes be attractive, he said, but comfort is clearly not one of his priorities.

"I am not against comfort, but I don't like the idea that my shoes are evocative of comfort," he said.

But he wouldn't go so far as to endorse foot surgery — nicknamed "Loub-jobs" after his shoes — that aims to ease the pain of wearing high heels.

"Frankly, it's probably not a good idea," he said.

The retrospective exhibition at London's Design Museum traces Louboutin's rise from a teenager fascinated by the feathered costumes of Paris's cabaret showgirls to his stints at YSL and Chanel to setting up his first boutique in 1991. It also gives a glimpse into his creative process from sketch to execution, as well as including creations designed for a 2008 exhibition with director David Lynch which examines shoes as fetish objects.

Louboutin considers Kate Moss to be his English style icon, but said Queen Elizabeth II would be an interesting and challenging customer.

"She's a woman, she's a queen, she's a full concept," he said. "She is such a symbol."

The retrospective show runs from Tuesday to July 9.

http://news.yahoo.com/designer-loubo...142314128.html

The Design Museum: Design Museum London

Yepper - shoe designers are after your money and don't care how your feet feel, how many bunions might form as a result of wearing their overpriced crap. In some ways, if you're silly enough to spend this much on a shoe, you deserve to have feet that look like Victoria Beckham's do.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

He needs to fuck off with his overpriced shit. And what a ridiculous lawsuit. How is anyone else supposed to make a pair of red shoes if the sole has to be a different colour? If anything when I see the red soles on a pair of uncomfortable tortured feet I tend to think the person wearing them is a tryhard because most of those shoes are fug.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thread Information