Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need fashion advice! (outfit for my sister's wedding)

Default I need fashion advice! (outfit for my sister's wedding)

hey guys,
    so my sister is getting married at the end of february. this will be an afternoon wedding, starting with the ceremony and then instead of a traditional sit-down dinner, they're having a very long, very boozy (but with lots and lots of food) cocktail party. the idea is that, because bride and groom are from different countries, and live in another country, and will be having guests coming from pretty much all over the world, a cocktail will force people to circulate and mingle and get to know each other.
    anyhoo, the dress code is dressy but cocktaily type clothes, not fussy evening gowns or anything, but not informal summer wedding clothes either.
    i have the shoes, and i am getting the dress made by a dressmaker here in chile.
    what i need help on is how to accessorise. basically, i need ideas for a clutch and type of earrings i should wear it with.

the dress i'm getting made is going to be in dark blue shantung silk (so with some shine but nothing like satin at all) and it will be very similar to this:

it will be a darker blue than this, kind of a dark petroleum blue. and like i said, it's a shantung kind of silk so not as satiny as the one in the picture. also, the sleeves on my dress will be a little bit puffy/capped (but not too much) and the dress will be a bit longer than on the model (right above the knee). so it will have a kind of more retro feel to it than the mcqueen dress in the picture.

and these are the shoes i'm wearing with it:

so basically i want the look to be a little bit retro but not too much. i'm thinking i might wear my hair in either a messy bardot-ish updo or a messy bob.
    but i have no idea what kind of earrings and clutch to wear with it because i don't want it to look too matchy-matchy but it's hard to know what would look good with these 2 colours. any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by sputnik; January 19th, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I want to say white metal for sure, or maybe a cream? What about playing up the retro vibe with pearls? I think the colour of pearls would go perfectly and if anyone could make them look hip, it would be you.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^^^
    do you mean for earrings or a necklace? or a cream/pearl coloured clutch?
    cause i was thinking of not wearing a necklace at all since the shoes will already be kind of a statement, and because i have more boobs than the model it will be more cleavagy on me and with the puffier shoulders/sleeves, i thought no necklace, but big earrings instead or a funky ring.
    i do have one cocktail ring that's basically a giant pearl and could work.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ Yeah, I only had one hand free so couldn't google anything.

The ring sounds awesome. Or a white metal/pearl hair accessory maybe? A GIS for "pearl clutch" turns up all manner of nastiness, but I can picture it in my head, hehe. I agree on skipping the necklace, I think that neckline will look gorgeous without it.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Sput starts a thread asking for fashion advice? Did hell freeze over while I was in Quebec?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^^^

haaalp!
    where's penny lane and all the other fashion whores?
    tati, i like the idea of a hair accessory. i'll have a look around and see if i find anyhing nice.

I don't have a lot of time to google right now, but I'll get back to you with some possibly better ideas. For me, I would definitely do the Bardot-ish updo, no necklace (not only because it's overpowering the pieces, but because I dislike necklaces with this neckline, I prefer the look of bare shoulders). I would definitely do a cocktail ring, and for the clutch, I would do something like an asian-style vintage clutch, which carried at least one of the colors of pink and blue - I think it would make the dress pop if you had a clutch with an actual design, not a minimal color. But that's just me! Maybe something like this:

I'll have to look for earrings and come back later!
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^^^
    *drools*
    i want that clutch!! where is that from?

I found it on etsy, it's technically a case for sunglasses so I'm not sure of the dimensions, I wasn't paying close attention. But it's absolutely adorable, and not too expensive either. Every once and awhile I like to check out Etsy when I need something a bit more unique. Even if the dimensions are off, this is still around what I was thinking of when I pictured a clutch to go with the outfit - if it is too small, I can look for something similar.

Pink Gray and White Asian Puff Silver Frame Sunglass by kailochic[0]=tags&includes[1]=title&filter[0]=handmade
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I'd go with hair up, no necklace- i love a plunge without one- and mod hanging earrings- Paco Rabanne type but not exactly. Same theme for the clutch, I'm thinking a pewter color. I love the cut of the dress, and in shantung i get a real early/mid 60's vibe. Feeling a Natalie Wood style. Love it. It's fab.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love the bob idea, maybe long pearl drops?
    I would see if I could find some material there like that delicious clutch has & see if that dressmaker couldn't cover a plain clutch with it. Shouldn't be too hard.
    Actually ,with that dress and those to-die-for shoes? The rest is gravy!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

instead of a traditional sit-down dinner, they're having a very long, very boozy (but with lots and lots of food) cocktail party.

Can I come? This sounds like my kind of wedding

I think this dress would look nice with gold jewelry -- a neckalace and earrings, something simple and a tricked out gold clutch.

I agree with Tati and that clutch january posted would be perfect!

I like the white metal suggestion.
    To go with the outfit and bardot hairstyle, I can't help but to think of chandelier earrings with a somewhat matching antique clutch.
    This look really brings me back to the 60's. Hotness!

thanks so much, guys!
    ok, so i still haven't decided on earrings - i am definitely going with no necklace and dangling earrings and a ring. i like witch's idea of 'paco rabanne but not exactly' earrings, now whether they are pearl or white metal will depend on what i find.
    cmmdee, love the gold accessories you posted but i think i am going to try to stay within the cool tones of the dress and shoes (it's dark pink but with bluish undertones) and go with either white metal or pearl. honestly, it's what's most flattering on my skin (did i mention i've got extremely white skin with pink undertones).

january - i totally agree with you that a patterned clutch will make the outfit 'pop', way more than a clutch in a solid colour would. and i love the pattern you posted so much that i contacted the seller on etsy and she's going to make me a custom clutch with that same fabric as the sunglasses case in the picture you posted, but it will be an actual clutch.
    this bag: Shimmery Cream Polka Dot Medium Frame Clutch by kailochic on Etsy
    but with the grey, white and pink fabric of the sunglasses case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information