Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gap Redesigns Logo ... But Why?

Default Gap Redesigns Logo ... But Why?

gap-changes-logo-why: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Some clothing companies adapt well to changing times, and Gap seemed to be one of those venerable brands.

Apparently not.

With little fanfare, the company decided to redesign its logo and post it on its website. Not too long after, waves of criticism from design firms, mainstream publications and just-plain bewildered bloggers started rolling in.

The company, which has apparently heard the cries of outrage, turned the redesign into a crowd-sourcing exercise on its Facebook page. No word yet on whether that was the official plan all along, or if it was just a knee-jerk reaction to all the bad press.

'Looks Like it Cost $17 From an Old Microsoft Word Clipart Gallery' notes Abe Sauer at Brandchannel, who deemed it a "monstrosity." The writer explains: It "demonstrates a prototypical brand panic move. With things not going in its favor, the brand decides to change the one valuable element it has going for it."

Makes Old Navy 'Look Like a Luxury Brand' scoffs Armin Vit at Brand New: "The shaded square on the corner doesn't help at all either -- I'm not one to critique something by saying it looks as if it were done in Microsoft Word but this one is just too unsophisticated to warrant anything more than that."

This Doesn't Make Any Sense writes David Brier at Fast Company. "It's all a cosmetic band-aid which is so unbelievable for a brand as big and 'mature' as Gap. I'll be surprised if a few people won't lose their jobs as this is basic Branding 101."

Gap Sales Are Declining Anyway dismisses Jim Edwards at BNet. "There's a clue to what might have triggered the misstep in the fact that same-store sales at Gap are down 4 percent. ... Brand managers need to resist that temptation when they see revenues decline. There are lots of reasons sales might be down -- the recession, lack of discounts, off-trend product -- and not all of those respond to a new trade dress."

Everybody Hates The Logo ... Except Us Time Newsfeed writer Nate Jones goes out on a limb saying that he "personally does not mind Helvetica, and so this new logo brings to mind visions of a streamlined, technologically dominant future America where everyone wears white suits and cool glasses. Sure, it's generic, but don't you know that in the future everything looks alike?"

Yuck! I do like a lot of their stuff right now, however.

Wow, poor decision. Their logo was great.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

The hell, it looks just like a Microsoft graphic - the square, even the font.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Helvetica needs to fucking die.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Helvetica needs to fucking die.
    I'm conflicted with the Helvetica font. It's reliable and dependable like a Honda Accord, but it can be schizophrenic. It looks clean and polished on some graphics, but old and antiquated on others. But if Helvetica dies, please drag Arial along with it to the firing range.

Gap shouldn't have fucked with their logo. The old one was a classic that stood the test of time. The new one cheapens the brand. The Banana Republic logo makes more sense for its brand.

I guess I can deal with United no longer having the "U" logo thanks to their merger with Continental, so I'll survive this .

Besides I haven't shopped at the Gap since college, oh well.
    Last edited by hustle4alivin; October 8th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

I like Arial.. it's great for correspondence, but I would never use it in a freaking logo.

But yeah.. the old logo had way more new englandy cachet. This shit looks like wal mart.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

^^^

i love helvetica but i still don't see why they felt the need to change the logo. and that random blue square is just retarded.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A logo instantly recognized around the world. Yeah, let's change that. Pointless.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Yay?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post

I could TOTALLY picture American Apparel doing something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post

I could TOTALLY picture American Apparel doing something like this.
    Except it'd be over a picture of a girl spread-eagled, not a city.
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by frecklered View Post
    Except it'd be over a picture of a girl spread-eagled, not a city.
    ^^THIS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information