Thread: Designer Stacey Bendet Doesn’t Eat Animals, But Feels Glamorous Wearing Them

Default Designer Stacey Bendet Doesn’t Eat Animals, But Feels Glamorous Wearing Them

Is she fur real? Vegan fashion designer Stacey Bendet wore a Mongolian lamb gilet in New York last week

As a vegan, you'd expect designer Stacey Bendet to abhor the use of animal products in her collections.
    After all, Stella McCartney refuses to use profit-boosting leather in hers, developing luxurious alternatives that have proved a hit with customers.
    So it came as some surprise when Bendet, the woman behind cult fashion label Alice & Olivia, appeared at a party in New York sporting a Mongolian lamb gilet from next season's collection.
    But when questioned about her choice of clothing, she said she didn't feel guilty.
    'I'm vegan, actually. I don't eat [animals], I don't put meat in my body. So every once in a while I think it's okay to wear it,' she said.
    'I don't feel that guilty wearing it. I don't know why. It doesn't make sense.
    'But something about putting it inside me feels really barbaric. Something about wearing it just feels a little glamorous.'

Animal rights charity PETA had a message for Ms Bendet on hearing of her opinions.
    A spokesman said: 'We were pleased to hear that you refuse to support the cruel factory-farming industry by eating a vegan diet.
    'In light of this, I must say that we were surprised to see that you would allow yourself to become a spokesperson for the violent fur trade.
    'Animals are routinely bludgeoned, gassed, and often skinned alive for their fur.
    'Because of the cruelty that's inherent in the fur industry, a rapidly growing number of designers - including Stella McCartney, Vivienne Westwood, Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein - have chosen to create wonderful designs without using animal fur.
    'Many celebrities have also sworn off fur, including first ladies Michelle Obama and Carla Bruni, who both recently announced that they are fur-free.’

The designer was launching a limited-edition line of make-up with cosmetic superbrand M.A.C., which counts PETA ambassador Pamela Anderson among its past spokesmodels.
    Fans of the Alice & Olivia label count 90210 star AnnaLynne McCord and American Beauty actress Mena Suvari

Read more: To eat it feels barbaric, but to wear it feels glamorous: Vegan designer attempts to justify her decision to wear lambskin 'fur' | Mail Online

I hate dumbasses who wear fur.
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

Near Paris

She's a vegan and wears fur? WTF is wrong with that woman?
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

We all float down here

A true vegan won't eat or use ANY animal products, that even includes stuff like honey.

She doesn't eat meat but does wear animal products, so she's just a vegetarian.

Silver Member

'But something about putting it inside me feels really barbaric. Something about wearing it just feels a little glamorous.'
    From my understanding the fur industry in general is meant to be far more barbaric than the meat this makes no sense to me.

Thread Information