Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work attire for women / reviewing that CitiBank woman's wardrobe

Default Work attire for women / reviewing that CitiBank woman's wardrobe

I'm new(ish) to the work world. By that I mean: I've been working since I was 18, but primarily in non-traditional environments where I could wear jeans to work, or wear a t-shirt + blazer + dark jeans + nice shoes. Now I've got a different sort of job, like most of you have.

And this whole thing with the woman fired from Citi Bank for allegedly being too hot has me even MORE confused about what proper work attire is.

I mean, to me I think that the basic stuff she's wearing is completely appropriate but its just too tight. If she went up a size, she'd have been fine. Is that accurate? Look at these pics:
    Support Debrahlee Lorenzana's Photos - Too Hot For Citibank? | Facebook

I'm relatively her same size and I'm busty but nowhere near to her degree. But to the point where I have to buy tops a few sizes larger to avoid looking like... well like she looks in this pic:

I would NEVER wear that turtleneck, my god. Waaay too much for the office. Under a blazer it would be fine though right? But in general, are her pants and such all too tight? Are her tops the appropriate coverage, etc?

This outfit of hers seems totally appropriate right? Is there anything wrong with this?

And this dress seems totally inappropriate...

But then when I think about it I wonder why. I mean, is is only because she has big boobs? And is that reason enough for it to be inappropriate?

Ah, I'm so confused about all of this. And I kinda get her point. It is really hard to find work attire that fits nicely when you're oddly proportioned and somewhat on a budget.

So... advice? Thoughts? Its hard to find guidance / advice on this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Cali; June 12th, 2010 at 12:47 AM.

I think she looks nice. No obvious cleavage,ass crack or camel toe showing. The heels look classy, maybe a bit too high for my taste.I think the male higher ups were hoping she would turn into the workplace whore, when she didn't, they fired her ass. She was a banker not a church secratary, I think her clothing reflects that. I've seen business women wear worse.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

See I don't agree with her hotness. I think she might actually be a little mental, and convinced that she is more attractive then she is.

I have seen MANY women who were FAR better looking and none of them were ever fired for being 'too hot.'

I'll bet you look very nice in your work clothes. You could post some pictures of your outfits, then you can get some feedback about you, and not this CitiBank woman.
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

I worked with one lady who had a gravity defying bosom. Very,very large. Her tops were somewhat clinging (like she had a choice), but her bottom half was never skin tight. She never even came close to a cleavage display. I always wondered what kind of bra she used because those things were UP. Anyway, she always looked nice.
    This woman looks like she was dressed by Central Casting.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

re. this citibank woman, i've seen it mentioned several places that the turtleneck she is wearing in that pic is very inappropriate for the office, she shouldn't be wearing it, nonono, etc. i've looked at this over & over & can't figure out why. clue me in, please!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    re. this citibank woman, i've seen it mentioned several places that the turtleneck she is wearing in that pic is very inappropriate for the office, she shouldn't be wearing it, nonono, etc. i've looked at this over & over & can't figure out why. clue me in, please!
    Hers seems too tight & clingy.
    All of her things-especially skirts-are just too tight for bank work. A good seamstress could fix that.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yeah, I think it's the "tight" aspect of it that makes it distracting. I am constantly told at work that some of my tops are too tight - my boobs have blossomed to a 36DD in my "old age", where I was a cute 34B when I was younger - so I try to find things for work that don't distract from the work at hand.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Part of the problem is that she has 'repackaged' herself - got boob job and lipo, then squeezes into too tight clothes, then tries to look innocent. She would look fine/unremarkable if her clothes were not so figure hugging.

Elite Member

I don't have a problem with her suit and dress above in concept, but I think she really needs to be careful with fabric content. Anything knit or with more than 2% spandex is just going to cling. There is nothing wrong with the cut or fit of her clothes, it's just that she nees to stay away from knits, especially that turtleneck!

I don't see what the problem is. She's not showing any skin and she's wearing a bra. These are her god given assets (boobs and hips), why should she have to hide her feminine figure? Because men don't have any impulse control? This whole thing is silly.

But they are not her God-given assets! She manufactured herself for attention.

People are not only judged on how much skin is showing, there's also a taste level involved. She looks tacky. That matters in the financial industry and in Manhattan. That white suit and reptile shoes? Really? B&T or call girl, or both.

czb

i agree with WhoAmI.

also, what is 'professional' varies by industry. banking, academia, advertising, attorney will all require professional attire but what is acceptable will vary. i've been behind the scenes in financial houses on wall street and NONE of the woman dressed like this. and it's not like all of them were heifers or something, either.

this woman's attire is totally inappropriate for banking in the NY financial district. maybe it would be ok for being a realtor or other type of sales.

Yeah, it totally depends on the industry in which you work. The actual clothes are ok in general but banking & law are super-conservative & semi-transparent isn't going to work.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    this woman's attire is totally inappropriate for banking in the NY financial district. maybe it would be ok for being a realtor or other type of sales.
    I was also thinking this look might be good for real estate. Sexy enough to get men interested, but not too much of a turn-off for the female customers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information